Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

I don't 'confront' an idiot cyclist, unless I'm on a bike..more 'credibility', but when I politely say, 'hey cyclist, why don't you stop at red lights?', I still get the same FU...oh well.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 AM

A lot of "tough guys" out there (and here).
Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I don't 'confront' an idiot cyclist, unless I'm on a bike..more 'credibility', but when I politely say, 'hey cyclist, why don't you stop at red lights?', I still get the same FU...oh well.
The thing I hated most about commuting into the city via bike was the other bike commuters. The cars were predictable and not a problem since they were everyday drivers, used to bikes, and generally better drivers since they drove every day. You could usually spot the morons texting etc. on the phone so they weren't a problem.

Other bike commuters cut me off, ran into me at stoplights (happened fairly often and really pissed me off when I was doing track stands), constantly wanted to race, and on more than one occassion stirred up the ire of drivers who then redirected their anger on me since I was available and not running the light cutting over the curb etc.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 AM
slower than you

I've been called worse.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM

How about cyclist wearing dark clothes and using no lights.
So you can't spot them till you are close.

Yea, I've see cyclists do some just plain stupid things.
Why piss off drivers ????
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 AM

I had a conversation, nee debate last night with a woman who rides her 50 lb Dutch made (must be made of gas pipe) bike around her residential area doing 10 mile laps. She kept insisting she wasn't a "cyclist" because she wore neither a helmet nor spandex. She might have a point though because she can't fix a flat and thinks all she needs to get a new tire is to tell the LBS it's a Schwalbe something or other. She has been doing this 3 to 4 times a week for over a year. It was clear that she holds so called "cyclists" in some disdain and that somehow she was separated from the rabble by not donning the helmet or bibs.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM

A while back I was complaining to a good friend who's been riding since before the bike boom of the 70s' about being beeped at by generally older drivers. He explained that there were actually PSA's on tv and radio for drivers to actually toot their horn as a courtesy so the cyclist would know that they're about to be passed. I've since taken notice that generally the drivers who do this are people who are older and very likely heard these PSA announcements.

I'm not talking about the D-bags who wait and lay on their horns but that piece of info put things into a different light.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 AM

I did a "benefit" ride over the weekend for a cycling advocacy group. I was appalled by the behaviour. People were running stop signs, riding three abreast, not yielding to drivers when "Car back" was called and in general being poor advocates. Disappointed.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Tom fKB

Where are you people getting "threatened with the truck" from the original post?

I know I have to watch myself because I usually am deep in thought riding along and a friendly beep because I'm wearing the club shirt might cause me to react poorly when I snap out of my reverie - which is generally a quiet fume about my work.

It's also mildly inconvenient to have to put my foot down at a stop sign because a track stand is seemingly always misconstrued - they think I'm going to go but maybe they're just seeing how long I can hold it, which is never long enough.

I watched the "ride right down the middle of the lane" thing on one of the local group rides. I got so annoyed I dropped back about 100 feet because it was the first time I was riding with this particular bunch and I didn't think the first time I was with them was really the most appropriate time to rip them a new one. Watching them hold up traffic on a busy road was pretty amazing, with a wide smooth shoulder to work with.

If I'd been in the OP's position, I certainly would have had a talk with the group. Some people you can't get through to but one never knows. You could hit the lottery.

It's later than you think.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cabletwitch View Post
On my way to a mtb ride I come upon a group of riders taking up both lanes. I beep my horn and when I pass I'm met with middle fingers and FUs. A bunch of tough guys until I pulled ahead and got out of my truck. The idea is to share the road not take it over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Typical pick up truck driver.

j/k

In my state riding two abreast is legal.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Where are you people getting "threatened with the truck" from the original post?
If someone comes up from behind in a truck, on the horn, followed by words (signs) and subsequently pulls off the road and gets out of his truck...yes, that behavior can be seen as threatening (maybe not threatened with the truck per se). Especially if it would occur in a state where tons of people have CWP's and stand your ground law applies. Only takes one crazed meth addict driving a truck and feeling invincible to make a situation really bad (yes, this actually happened to me).
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 AM

A long time ago, when I was much younger, middle fingers were enough to trigger serious road rage in me. Once I even followed a guy for about 10 miles on a highway, insisting he pull over so we can settle his issue with me. Luckily, he didn't stop because I don't want to think what would have happened. Being 20 minutes late to work and the attendant aggravation wasn't anywhere near worth this "detour."

Now, I take middle fingers and other insults in stride and am much happier (and safer) for it. No rage, no aggravation. I really can't imagine a scenario where getting out of the car is a good idea, unless it is because of an accident that occurred. It's not that big a deal and it really isn't worth it.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM

I 100% agree that's why I mostly ride by myself and even though im allowed 12" or whatever I ride the white line and always wave cars past me when its safe and wave thank you to them"thinking thanks for not hitting me" and most of the time they wave back.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM

I almost always ride alone, and I often take the lane, because i'm allowed to. sorry guys. better than some driver having to tell my girlfriend and family "i didn't see him."
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM

When riding in the country where I see a car maybe every ½ hour, I also "take the lane".
When riding in traffic, "taking the lane" is both dangerous and irresponsible.

(The law and signs also say in many places to "stop for pedestrians in crosswalk", however when I'm the pedestrian, I wait for the traffic to stop before I walk in front of oncoming traffic, even though I'm allowed to)