Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Oregon Manifest...commuter bike design competition

http://oregonmanifest.com

Some interesting designs & concepts for those interested in seeing what's new in the commuter bike design world
Old 07-28-2014, 06:00 PM

Needs less "design" and more "commuting" ATMO.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Randomhead

The problem I have always had with the Oregon Manifest was their desire to reinvent the bicycle. That just isn't going to happen, and is incredibly arrogant to believe it can happen. Anybody that tries to reinvent the bicycle is ingnoring the fact that it is one of the most efficient and highly evolved machines in human history. And they will probably reinvent something, as in the phrase, "reinventing the wheel." That I can believe.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:28 PM

anyone who's driven in Portland wishes they would have been the ones to invent "Merge".
Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 AM

I found the designs very inspiring. I admire the tinkering spirit and willingness to rethink established patterns. Keeps thing fun.

I found those designs much more interesting than the latest round of high end road offerings.

I give all the bikes high marks for effort and could even see myself riding the blackline or Denny!

I've believed for a long time that rack systems, signal lights and brake lights have a place on a bike too no wonder these designs appeal to me!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The problem I have always had with the Oregon Manifest was their desire to reinvent the bicycle. That just isn't going to happen, and is incredibly arrogant to believe it can happen. Anybody that tries to reinvent the bicycle is ingnoring the fact that it is one of the most efficient and highly evolved machines in human history. And they will probably reinvent something, as in the phrase, "reinventing the wheel." That I can believe.
Oh, come on. Nobody at Oregon Manifest is trying to "reinvent the bicycle." They never have been, and they aren't in this current Manifest(ation). Really . . . that is your whole rant?

All that this iteration of Oregon Manifest strives to do is to create "new bike designs . . . and create a new generation of useful bicycles." As James Callahan of Horse Cycles says in one of the builder videos, "we're not trying to redefine what a bike is . . . we wanted to maintain the 100, 200 years of bike history . . . "

As much as I appreciate and have fun with my Dursley Pederson, and the Penny Farthing I used to own, I am much happier with modern bike designs. Nothing about the basic bike has been "reinvent[ed]" since the time of those bikes, but the designs sure have improved, and that is what Oregon Manifest is trying to encourage with one specific category of bike - further improvements in design and functionality.

I've owned three former Oregon Manifest bikes, and all were wonderful. And I find a lot to like about all of the five bikes designed this year. I'm still trying to decide which to vote for . . .

Last edited by ORMojo; 07-29-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 AM

Ooh. Hard to decide between Denny and Black line. The videos are really good. At first look I was leaning towards the Merge and Evo. It after watching the 2 min video I was kinda sold on the Denny and the Black line. Hard choice but I went with Denny. Very very close though.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Bike Guy

Just guessing that most of those bikes, were they ever to be capable of large scale production for the consumers who would use them regularly, are well out of reach price wise.

While I understand the challenge, my vote would go to someone who bought an off the peg Surly Cross-Check, put some Planet Bike fenders on it, a Light and Motion commuter light set, Blackburn racks, better than stock tires, and saved $100 each year for a tune-up and chain replacement. All for 1/2 if not less than any of those ridiculous bikes.

Of course as a very happy cross-check owner and long time car free commuter, with much the same bike spec as above, perhaps I am a bit biased . . .
Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 AM

voted for the Evo yesterday. Didn't realize there were 2 min long videos if I would have scrolled down

Would vote for the Blackline or Denny now for sure!

To earlier post re: "reinventing the bike" that's not what they are trying to do at all, they are just attempting to improve a proven model of transportation. we don't still drive model t's and ride penny farthings - but no one says we "reinvent" with each new model of car that comes out.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy View Post
needs less "design" and more "commuting" atmo.
+1,000,000,000
Old 07-29-2014, 04:10 PM

or

I usually can't stand a lot of this stuff, just like all the people trying to re-invent the bike light on Kickstarter, but I like that they focus on working with real builders. The intention is create something that could be produced at some level beyond just custom. Not everything they come up with is going to catch on, but these kind of projects can lead to some interesting innovations.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
I've owned three former Oregon Manifest bikes, and all were wonderful. And I find a lot to like about all of the five bikes designed this year. I'm still trying to decide which to vote for . . .
some really cool bikes have come out of previous Manifest competitions. If the organizers felt the same way they have a funny way of showing it by this new format. I have previously been interested from a building perspective, but the rules always seemed like a real turnoff, particularly last year when they actively discouraged using old ideas just because they work pretty well. And I did not make up the "reinventing the bicycle" language, they have used it in past years.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 AM

Geez, a commuter is a bike you commute on, not a science project. Some cool ideas and smart people involved but c'mon

Last edited by blessthismess; 07-30-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy View Post
Needs less "design" and more "commuting" ATMO.
More plaid too
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM

And the winner is Denny, by Sizemore in Seattle.