Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
We don't get snow, so there are no such laws about making your mailbox soft to keep from damaging snow plows.
After the 6th time my dad had his mailbox run over, he used drill pipe buried and concreted about 6 feet down and covered the mailbox with a shield of 3/8" metal. To this day, about 40 years later, it hasn't been hit yet.
It's interesting that your dad's solution was exactly the one I posted above....or maybe not, given that I grew up <1 hour from you. The solution is just oilfield thinking brought to mailboxes.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Randomhead

there are vandal proof mailboxes. but they're a little expensive. We used to have a mailbox that was encased in brick. Pretty much vandal proof, unless they ran over it. Our neighborhood had a couple of brick mailbox enclosures that had been hit by cars, they don't stand up too well.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM
#bottlestorage

As a youth I was in a car with folks doing mailbox baseball. I didn't see the point, I would rather drink beer and find girls. Anyway, one guy swung from the front seat, hit the post, the bat bounced back so fast it shattered the rear passenger window. It was funny as hell.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 PM

Rugby, did you grow up in western Illinois???

When I was about 18, I had a GF, her parent's mailbox got ballbatted every other weekend. I thought I needed to score points with her dad. I took a 4 inch pipe, welded a plate on top, etc.

He told me he was lying in bed at 3 am. Whack, hahaha, whack, hahaha, whack, hahaha, cccrrraaacckkk, aaarrrggghhhh. He found 1/2 a bat in his yard.

GF thing didn't work out. :^)
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
As a youth I was in a car with folks doing mailbox baseball. I didn't see the point, I would rather drink beer and find girls. Anyway, one guy swung from the front seat, hit the post, the bat bounced back so fast it shattered the rear passenger window. It was funny as hell.
funny! we had a friend who's dad sold pumpkins in October...so, Halloween night the unsold pumpkins were chunked at mailboxes from the back of a pickup truck....a 40mph pumpkin can take out a brick mailbox...trust me on that.
Joe
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
Rugby, did you grow up in western Illinois???

When I was about 18, I had a GF, her parent's mailbox got ballbatted every other weekend. I thought I needed to score points with her dad. I took a 4 inch pipe, welded a plate on top, etc.

He told me he was lying in bed at 3 am. Whack, hahaha, whack, hahaha, whack, hahaha, cccrrraaacckkk, aaarrrggghhhh. He found 1/2 a bat in his yard.

GF thing didn't work out. :^)
HAHA. I grew up outside of Springfield, IL, in a small town of 2200 people.