Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetsch View Post
Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

No -real- Hills on my usual training route on Long Island.

But when I do the North Shore Rides we run into -I don't want to call them hills but- overpasses and some short hills, some steep but always short.

My usual warm up is just to ride until I feel warmed up. From what I'm reading here this seems to be a common issue thing for regular riders. I'll try a Pre-ride warm up / sprints / 5x1x1 spin ups / and throw in a few short ride plus sprinting days as some suggest and see what happens.
If you do that, don't be surprised if you bury yourself further.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM

I've always ridden to the start of most group rides, and it has really helped on the ones where people go hard right out of the start (of course, lots of the guys who do that are warmed up because they rode to the start too).
But I've definitely found that when I'm tired it takes a long time to warm up. Sometimes a really long time. I did a 600k this past weekend, and was pretty tired when I started - the combination of a bunch of really hectic weeks, punctuated by long, hard rides of one kind or another every weekend, and I swear it took about 15 hours to feel warmed up. But I took it easy as much as possible, and I did find my groove eventually. I figure I eventually found my groove as much out of habit as anything else.
Of course I'll be paying for it all week.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Randomhead

it usually takes me at least 10 miles before I warm up. This seems to be true even if I'm really wiped out, like on a multi-day ride. I often joke that it takes me 100 miles to warm up, because I usually hit a down period from 50-100 miles. But I'm never surprised when I need some time to warm up. I suspect this was always true, it's just I never figured it out before I was 50. lotta things like that, unfortunately