Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I'd be willing to bet a large amount of $$ that these wheels are slow AF compared to any modern day HED/Zipp/Enve wheelset.
Big bladed spokes like those are not aero, and lightweight <> speed unless you are living in 1990....... Aero trumps weight by a long shot.
Slow AF? Someone really bought into the aero wheel hype
Old 06-24-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Slow AF? Someone really bought into the aero wheel hype
Someone doesn't believe in math, physics or wind tunnels.

Why spend 5k on a wheelset that will be measurably slower than wheels that are a third the price? Oh, because you are buying into the light weight hype.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 PM

Dude, I have a PhD in physics.

Quit believing the marketing and Look at the % drag contributed by the wheels vs the rider and all the other stuff. No decent wheels are slow AF.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
so...who is buying this?

I mean apart from the stiffness (that end users cannot measure), the wheelset is kinda around the same ballpark weight as the roval alpinist clx.
the alpinist is "only' $2500. granted that it is made in taiwan(?) and is not tubeless compatiple.
Well..since another wheelset mentioned..add 120 grams(horrors) and save $3500+...not the whizbang carbon spokes...and ya can repair these but...

https://btlos.com/road-bike/700c-45m...yclocross-bike

But good on them..wading into the deep end with HIGH end wheels. I'm sure the tooling to get these made wasn't cheap and yup, they will probably sell every one they make. What's 'worth it' to somebody often has ZERO to do with anything but 'gotta have'...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-25-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Quit believing the marketing and Look at the % drag contributed by the wheels vs the rider and all the other stuff. No decent wheels are slow AF.
Exactly. "Fast" wheels may save a handfull of seconds over 25 miles if you are already riding fast. Makes a difference in top level races? Sure. For the average fun/fitness rider......

Tim
Old 06-25-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Exactly. "Fast" wheels may save a handfull of seconds over 25 miles if you are already riding fast. Makes a difference in top level races? Sure. For the average fun/fitness rider......

Tim
I don't think the average fun/fitness rider is looking at $5000 wheels.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
HA, I think you would be surprised..these are firmly in the 'dentist' arena(with apologies to dentists, nothing personal TicDoc)...where it's all about coffee shop points for that 25 mile ride on Sunday morning..The weekend "world championships".
Old 06-25-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
HA, I think you would be surprised..these are firmly in the 'dentist' arena(with apologies to dentists, nothing personal TicDoc)...where it's all about coffee shop points for that 25 mile ride on Sunday morning..The weekend "world championships".
Fair point! But I stand by my opinion that those dentists would in fact be faster on a set of Jet 6's.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:40 AM

You people are pretty harsh.

It looks to me like the founder Jon Partington was a PhD candidate in composite materials from Deakin University in Australia.

The University's Geelong campus has a business district associated with it where they are trying to incubate cutting edge industries... I don't think this is merely putting stickers on wheels made in China.

It'd be nice if Australia becomes more than just coal and Iron miners with tourists on the coasts.

I wish him luck... I don't think there is much margin in wheels as ENVE found out.

https://www.advancedfibrecluster.org...ed-for-export/
Old 06-25-2021, 07:50 AM
Administrator

The question I have is what is the target use for these wheels.

if the target use is pro level racing team use, then i would want the wheels to be fast, light and more or less disposable. the cost comes out of the team budget and maybe some sponsor money by the wheel mfg to have their stickers all over everything. make them durable enough to get through a single season of racing and have multiple back-up sets ready to go win races.

if the target market is enthusiasts and sub-elite racers who pay for their own equipment, then the wheels need to be designed to last a long time. rebuildable hubs that can account for varying frame axle standards, replaceable spokes, available spare parts and a rock solid warranty/crash replacement plan. if a regular joe is buying $5k wheels he probably wants to ride them for a long time.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:59 AM

This made me laugh out loud, turns out the science denier is a physics PhD Careful people, you never know who you are talking to on the internet. I guess to be fair, Mr. Windsurfer could be a 12 year old russian hacker LARPing as a physics PhD.

Quote:

Old 06-25-2021, 08:03 AM

Meh 1200g. For about $1k you can get disc farsports wheels similar depth at 1200g.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:11 AM

but but but...the Partington is made in Straya!
thats gotta be worth four grand more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Meh 1200g. For about $1k you can get disc farsports wheels similar depth at 1200g.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Or above average, even.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
This made me laugh out loud, turns out the science denier is a physics PhD .....
This. I was gonna say it, but figured I'd avoid the arguement.......

But.....joking aside, if you are buying for pure bling or bragging rights, go for it. But it is pretty well known, backed by actual science, that aero trumps weight. Not only are the spokes on these wheels slow, but the depth of the rim is 'slow' as well.
Now, fine, you can argue that, for example, 1 minute over 40km doesn't mean anything to you, but in that case, why are you riding any expensive wheel in the first place?

To a time trialist or triathlete, 1 minute over 40km is a -lot-. To a road racer, the watts that the more aero wheel will save can mean a lot over a 3 hour road race.

To the folks on the weekend masters worlds race to the coffee shop, yes, use whatever makes you happy.

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods