Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2022, 11:34 AM

What lights do you use, and why?

Hard to believe that 5 years ago, I never used lights. Barely used a Garmin Edge 500 (kept forgetting it).

Then the slow integration of taillights, which have gotten better, more complex, and more expensive.

So, detail your "light journey," if you have one. Anything new under the sun?

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:41 AM

Garmin Varia tailight and a powerful blinky (that also works well as a solid light for night riding) for daylight visibility up front. Currently have a Cygolite Metro 650 on an under stem mount but have used others. That's for the road race bike.

Commuter bikes and also bikes that I truly intend to ride at night (road bike when doing long brevets) use hub dynamos and wired German StVzo front and rear lights (solid, don't blink, shaped like an automotive low beam, no batteries).
Old 09-16-2022, 11:56 AM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-01-2022 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:57 AM

Just this summer picked up a Garmin Varia RTL515 on sale. For the uninitiated, it’s a taillight/rear facing RADAR. Love it, works great, long range. Long battery life too if you use the flashing mode. Niterider micro 650 for headlight, when needed. I’d like to get a brighter and longer lasting headlight, but it hasn’t bothered me enough to research them and shop for one.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:24 PM
I need you cool.

Light & Motion - used to have the old HID headlight (cord and battery pack) back in the early 2000's....moved onto LED when the light died....still had cord & battery.....moved to self contained units about 8 years ago (L&M Taz and SecaComp 2000) for convenience. I use then during Fall, Winter and early Spring for riding when dark and just before dawn.

I added a Lezyne Zecto a couple years ago cuz I wanted to free up my handlebars and still have a daytime headlight when riding in sunlight. I mount it on my headtube.

Used a PlantBike Superflash since forever....added a L&M Vis 180 about 8 yrs ago....brighter, rechargeable. Use these day and night riding.....

Been thinking about a Garmin, or Dinotte taillight, but expense seems high.....current setup seems to work fine. Maybe if I ever add a Garmin computer.....but I like riding computer-free these days.

If you care, L&M is having a clearance sale: Bike Lights

Last edited by Ozz; 09-16-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:33 PM
Registered (ab)User

I have Niterider Solas taillights on all my bikes (except for one, which has a PlanetBike Superflash USB).

Most sport just some cheap generic be-seen white blinky; the bike that's designated as my "night bike" has a Niterider Lumina 650 up front.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:40 PM

Commuters: dynamo + B&M. Need lights every day there. Other bikes get simple flashers front and rear as needed. I like Light&Motion, but have a Niterider that is also very well made. Magicshine tend to be less well-made but cheap.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:54 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Bontrager Flare RT Taillight
Bontrager Ion Pro Front x2 (one on bars, one on helmet)

Both are super bright and have awesome battery life, but in addition:
1.) Rechargeable
2.) Size
3.) Mounting options galore
4.) Warranty
5.) ANT+ network so battery info shows up on Garmin and form light networks to turn on and off with activity start.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:56 PM
n - 1

I’m loving this Lezyne Strip Drive I picked up early this year. Fairly quick recharge and very bright for those early dawn rides.

Front is also a Lezyne 1200. Nice for night time riding. But I might pick up Knog Blinder for day rides.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:00 PM

Outbound. I have the bar and helmet. https://www.outboundlighting.com/
Old 09-16-2022, 01:06 PM

Light and Motion -once I started with the 400 and worked up to the 2500 for commuting (AM ride in dark)
40 mph + descents in the dark and enough battery life to ensure I make it to work and can use the pulse mode on the way home.

As we get towards mid-May (into the summer) I can switch to my day-riding urban 1000.

For regular rides I use the urban 1000 on flash/pulse.

Taillight I use the omega 300 (Niterider). It's plenty bright and on the 2nd setting it's still incredibly bright and will last 10-12 hours.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Commuters: dynamo + B&M. Need lights every day there. Other bikes get simple flashers front and rear as needed. I like Light&Motion, but have a Niterider that is also very well made. Magicshine tend to be less well-made but cheap.
I have the same setup. I have dynamos on my commuter and my fancy graveller and they are indispensable for forgetful people - you always have lights and never need to charge them.

That said, I have tried offroading on my Rock Lobster with the dynamo at night and the strobe effect is pretty terrible, making it hard to concentrate when you are riding over obstacles. They are more for roads and smooth paths.

For offroad, I have a $90 Nite Rider that works just fine and gets the job done. My rear light is a seatpost mounted middle of the road flasher - works fine. I cant remember the brand - SERFAS?

If you are using the bike for commuting, etc, dynamos are the way to go. Expensive to set up (use Shutter Precision hubs - theyre cheaper and work great) but once you have them, its done! No stolen lights, no dead batteries.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:50 PM
Forward the Foundation

I got a SON dyno hub years ago, long enough to
have started with dual E6 incandescent lights.
I upgraded the lights 4 or 5 times, now with a B&M IQ-X.

Generator lights are easy to resell too, no worn out batteries.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:14 PM

In my experience:

Cygolite: very good balance of light/battery/price. They're my go-to.
Niterider/Light in Motion: not bad, but don't like their mounts or flash patterns as much as Cygolite.
Lezyne: I've had issues with battery life on one and the charging port on another--would avoid.
Knog: just totally died on me after a month--would avoid even more than Lezyne.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Outbound. I have the bar and helmet. https://www.outboundlighting.com/
These look great! How do they compare to other lights you (probably) used?

I currently use Bontrager Ion 200 RT/Flare RT lights to be seen and Garmin Varia UT 800 to see in dark (this one goes on my helmet). I like the ANT although connection can be a bit of a hit and miss (especially when you stop your activity on Garmin, though that's an issue with Edge probably...).