Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 11:42 AM

OT Pain under right breast after riding

Seems like the last 5-6 times out riding, after getting off bike I've got a sharp pain under right breast. Doesn't bother me when riding and usually goes away in an hour or so, but just curious to see if others have experienced this.
62 year old male, reasonably good shape with no medical issues....so far.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:16 PM

It could be a lot of things and should be checked out

Simple thing could be muscle strain or rib injury. I broke a rib years ago and it still bothers me once in a while. It could be stress, heartburn or gas too. ON the other end of the spectrum it could be something like gallstones, lung problems or worse... So yeah see a doc.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM

See a doc, of course, but this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It could be stress, heartburn or gas too.
...sounds very plausible. Your digestion degrades as you get older, and trapped gas can cause odd pains all over your front and back. And you've just spent an hour or two in a cramped position.

After you get off the bike, can you correlate any burping or passing wind with the resolution of the pain?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:28 PM

Agree; the differential is long. Without a doubt, see your doctor.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
See a doc, of course, but this...

...sounds very plausible. Your digestion degrades as you get older, and trapped gas can cause odd pains all over your front and back. And you've just spent an hour or two in a cramped position.

After you get off the bike, can you correlate any burping or passing wind with the resolution of the pain?
no, no burping or passing wind, no perceived heartburn issues, can take deep breath without feeling the pain. my ride was over 2 hours ago and pain has almost subsided. when sitting still, no pain, but when I get up and walk around it is there...no bad pain, just there, an annoyance. But I agree, I probably should get doc opinion on this one.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Seems like the last 5-6 times out riding, after getting off bike I've got a sharp pain under right breast. Doesn't bother me when riding and usually goes away in an hour or so, but just curious to see if others have experienced this.
62 year old male, reasonably good shape with no medical issues....so far.
Not to make light of your pain, but you may have bigger issues to deal with.

More seriously though, if it is a new phenomenon (you mention the last 5-6 rides) confirm that nothing in your position or life style changed. Did your seat slide backwards, or something like that. Did you start working as a stone mason in your spare time..., did your diet, exercise plan, etc. change.

If you can rule all that stuff out, give it a few more rides and then see the doctor.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Not to make light of your pain, but you may have bigger issues to deal with.

More seriously though, if it is a new phenomenon (you mention the last 5-6 rides) confirm that nothing in your position or life style changed. Did your seat slide backwards, or something like that. Did you start working as a stone mason in your spare time..., did your diet, exercise plan, etc. change.

If you can rule all that stuff out, give it a few more rides and then see the doctor.
Most noticeable change is I guess, stress. I am caretaker/caregiver for my wife who has alzheimers, which is getting progressively worse and the only real time I can ride is when she is at the daycare that I take her to 3x per week.
if there is anyone who has dealt with being a caregiver for your spouse i'm sure you understand.
I appreciate the replies
Old 09-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Most noticeable change is I guess, stress. I am caretaker/caregiver for my wife who has alzheimers, which is getting progressively worse and the only real time I can ride is when she is at the daycare that I take her to 3x per week.
if there is anyone who has dealt with being a caregiver for your spouse i'm sure you understand.
I appreciate the replies
Very sorry to hear about your wife. That's a difficult situation, and sometimes people forget about the stress that caregivers experience. I wish there were easy solutions out there, but perhaps the only thing a fellow cycling enthusiast on an online forum can offer is to say, without equivocation, that your kindness and love for her are good karma.

I don't think it would be surprising at all if this were due to stress. Perhaps your doctor can help with managing it? Are there support groups near you for people in the same position as you? It can often be a great relief to feel solidarity with others experiencing similar hardships.

Peace and sympathy to you!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Older Than You

Possible Gallbladder problem.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
I appreciate the replies
My grandfather had what we thought was alzheimer's (but what we now think was actually lack of blood to the brain due to a 95% blocked carotid artery that eventually caused a stroke). In any event, it was dementia symptoms.

We had a lot of family rotating through, taking turns with the care. It was hard. Visiting nurses were some help. I can't imagine doing it all by yourself.

Good luck and remember to take care of yourself, as well as your wife.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I appreciate the replies
Pennies in heaven for you sir. What you are doing is one of the most stressful things there is....good thoughts your way...but go see a Doc, to help remove doubt and stress...
Old 09-15-2017, 01:24 PM

sharp right sided chest pain is atypical for being cardiac in nature but pay attention if you notice this pain when doing other things that require exertion like climbing stairs or experience dizziness, fatigue or shortness of breath with it.

Gallbladder typically gets irritated by fatty meals rather than activity and would hurt a lot more if you sat up straight, took a breath in and pushed firmly below your ribs on the right.

Musculo-skeletal pain or a stress response is probably the most likely.

especially given that it persists for an hour after exercise, I would get it checked out!