Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 12:15 AM

PF30 Installation Issue

Has anyone else had an issue with installing a PF30 bottom bracket with aluminum cups, wherein the frame is slightly smaller? I have a Wheels Mfg. thread-together PF30 BB and a frame with a full carbon shell. The BB diameter measures exactly 46.0 mm, which is the standard. The frame on the bike measures 45.8 mm. Perhaps this is normal with a carbon BB shell; perhaps it is poor manufacturing tolerances (although both sides match at precisely 45.8). I tried *lightly* to press in the BB, and it feels/sounds like it's going to crack the frame. I assume I have to go get a nylon-shelled BB (like the cheap offerings from SRAM or FSA), which I'm not a fan of.

Anyone know of a different solution than plastic cups? I don't know what else that would be, besides pressing really hard to get the cups in, which makes me obviously nervous!

Question two: who has had success with loctite on these nylon cups with carbon frames? I've had BBs that simply could not be removed afterward. I am now to understand you do not want to do that to the carbon shell. Park has this new Adhesive Primer that is meant to be used with carbon when using loctite, or its equivalent RC-1. Haven't heard any reviews.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:27 AM

100% normal. Composite shell PF30 will compress during install.