Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 AM

NBC Sports Gold streaming experiences

it looks like the CX world cups will only be broadcast on NBC Sports Gold this year. I'm curious about people's experience with this, as I know they've broadcast races like Roubaix via this package before. specifically, do you need to watch live or can you start at any time, even starting from the beginning after race is in progress? and I assume you can watch after the race is complete? previously, the CX world cups were on YouTube and you'd need to 1) get around the geo restrictions, and 2) watch live or hope and pray that some kind soul had ripped the video and made it available before the UCI had it pulled. so I'm wondering if this option will be worth the $40, basically
Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
it looks like the CX world cups will only be broadcast on NBC Sports Gold this year. I'm curious about people's experience with this, as I know they've broadcast races like Roubaix via this package before. specifically, do you need to watch live or can you start at any time, even starting from the beginning after race is in progress? and I assume you can watch after the race is complete? previously, the CX world cups were on YouTube and you'd need to 1) get around the geo restrictions, and 2) watch live or hope and pray that some kind soul had ripped the video and made it available before the UCI had it pulled. so I'm wondering if this option will be worth the $40, basically
I have it...not sure about going back to beginning if the race is in progress. BUT replays are easy to access. After watching the TdF, then the Vuelta, now the World's..and it's a year worth so some spring classics next year..I think it's well worth it.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

Bought it to watch this year's Tour and then used it recently again for the Vuelta. I would give it 10/10 if not for not being able to use it on my Chromebook.

Yes, you can watch replays anytime.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:40 AM
slower than you

Is the Giro there?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 AM

Watched the Tour and Vuelta and love it. Commentary, no adds, HD all very good
Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I would give it 10/10 if not for not being able to use it on my Chromebook.
which brings up another point... I'd like to be able to Chromecast it from my Mac to my TV, using Chrome. OR Chromecast directly from the iPhone or iPad app. any experience with this?

great thoughts so far, thanks. sounds like it's worth the $40 for the CX WC's for sure, plus lots more.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Is the Giro there?

No Giro. I signed up for FuboTV to get that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM

I signed up for Fubotv for the Tour this year, and it uses the NBC broadcast, so I wonder if it will get CX worlds as well. It will allow you to DVR all the events, and watch after the fact. I think up to like 10 programs you can record. And yes, I chrome cast everything to my TV, works fantastic. Was a game changer when I got that thing.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:07 AM

It is live and you cannot watch from the beginning until the replay is available later in the day.

Jeff
Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 AM

Gold was great to have this last year and I'd say worth it. Don't know who they'll have as commentator(s) for world cups, but psyched.

A couple minor things for me were sound issues at certain times (no sound or couldn't really hear commentators for stretches of time) and for the replay feature--which has been excellent--they sometimes post the image of the stage/race winner as the selection icon.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:37 AM

I've had the NBC Sports Gold app for two years on my iPhone and iPad. Generally very pleased with the app and the amount of races that are included. Looking forward to the upcoming World Championships and cyclocross season. I'm old enough to remember when pro bike race news was received ~2-4 weeks after the event when you got your copy of Velonews in the mail. Now I can sit in my living room on a Sunday morning and watch live, HD coverage of my favorite races over a cup of coffee. Life is good!

Greg
Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
which brings up another point... I'd like to be able to Chromecast it from my Mac to my TV, using Chrome. OR Chromecast directly from the iPhone or iPad app. any experience with this?

great thoughts so far, thanks. sounds like it's worth the $40 for the CX WC's for sure, plus lots more.
I was able to send feed to my TV via chromecast on my Macbook. I think I did it from my phone too (android).
Old 09-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Bought it to watch this year's Tour and then used it recently again for the Vuelta. I would give it 10/10 if not for not being able to use it on my Chromebook.

Yes, you can watch replays anytime.
What's up with the Chromebook? I watched on my iPad and MacBook all the time? In AM firmly entrenched in Apple universe, BTW...
Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Did the iPhone and iPad to son's TV with Chromecast...really easy and BIG HG pic, really keen.
Also iPad and iPhone to my TV via Apple TV....geezzz remember getting 15 or so minutes on Wild World of Sports once a week..only?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Did the iPhone and iPad to son's TV with Chromecast...really easy and BIG HG pic, really keen.
awesome. yeah, think I'm gonna jump on this then. pain in the neck hunting down these feeds and jumping through geo-restrictions. plus the first two races are on days I'll be out racing anyway, so may miss part of them.

hope the part about showing the winner for the race in the link/icon isn't always true. that would suck.