Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 01:28 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDR View Post
Safe enough for cars but not for bikes, got it.
Car electronic braking systems aren't 'wireless' but hard wired. Mixing programs.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Next development, etap/di2/eps powered by dyno hubs...

http://www.chapmancycles.com/2017/03...ing-bike-v2-0/
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Car electronic braking systems aren't 'wireless' but hard wired. Mixing programs.
You did see where the Op proposed two different methods? With one of them being wired and one being wireless?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Mechanical braking has redundancy in the fact that the front and rear brakes are two discreet systems. If one fails, the other is theoretically still usable.

I would consider using hard wired electric brakes only if the front and rear braking were controlled separately and had separate power sources. I would also require that the calipers be "normally open" so that in case of failure or loss of power you would not come to a sudden stop...

Not sure it there is much to be gained, except for aesthetics. You would lose some feedback through the levers, FWIW.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
plus a cable operated emergency brake.
I'll add a 3rd option - electronic emergency brakes which typically work via a servo and cable, or are integrated directly into the caliper. In cars with an integrated setup (Volvo i believe does this among others), if the car were to experience a total electrical drain or complete system failure with the E-brake on, the only way to move the car would be to cut off the caliper. But as you say, functional redundancy.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDR View Post
You did see where the Op proposed two different methods? With one of them being wired and one being wireless?
Neither of those setups have functional redundancy as described by the OP. Car brake by wire systems do.

Modern passenger vehicle brake by wire systems are typically an electro-hydraulic hybrid system where actuation of the pedal causes initiates motor to push on the master cylinder, which has certain benefits in automotive applications - most notably regenerative braking. You lose the vacuum booster, and a bunch of plumbing among other things. That said, they still have have a physical linkage between the pedal and the master cylinder, so in the event of a complete electronic failure, you still have some control over the braking system. And as others have mentioned, the car typically has another alternative emergency braking system.

In a bicycle application, there is little value to an electronic system if it requires mechanical redundancy for safe operation.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:04 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
In a bicycle application, there is little value to an electronic system if it requires mechanical redundancy for safe operation.
Another way to look at it is the car has no viable options for mechanical force applied by the passengers directly. You are not Fred Flintstone. Cars have to utilize other systems - electrical, hydraulic, electronic - to apply the force. On a road bike simple mechanical leverage is fine, hydro if you must.

I've driven cars with non hydro brakes, and I dont think i want one in 2017 unless it's a track toy.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:07 PM
cmg

no need to worry, whatever you hit will stop you.. ....
Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
Good one!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
This post is worth the original posting. Brilliant!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojingoh View Post
Another way to look at it is the car has no viable options for mechanical force applied by the passengers directly. You are not Fred Flintstone. Cars have to utilize other systems - electrical, hydraulic, electronic - to apply the force. On a road bike simple mechanical leverage is fine, hydro if you must.

I've driven cars with non hydro brakes, and I dont think i want one in 2017 unless it's a track toy.
On a related note: In the debate over disc brakes vs. rim brakes on bikes, many point to the switch from drum brakes to disc brakes in cars. But what they fail to consider is that disc brakes did not become common on typical passenger cars until power brakes became common - without power assist, it takes far more foot pressure to operate disc brakes than drum brakes. I've driven non-power assist drum brake cars, and non-power assist disc brake cars, and I wouldn't want to drive a large non-power assist disc brake car on a regular basis.