Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 10:33 AM

Old P technical campy question

Do you know if the brake cable pull ratio is the same from 10 to 11 speed campagnolo levers? I am interested in buying a canyon frame and fork but it has direct mount brakes. I have all ten speed stuff and no budget for 11. The bike currently has shimano direct mount brakes but I assume the ration for those wouldn't match campy 10. Any insights??
Old 09-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Do you know if the brake cable pull ratio is the same from 10 to 11 speed campagnolo levers? I am interested in buying a canyon frame and fork but it has direct mount brakes. I have all ten speed stuff and no budget for 11. The bike currently has shimano direct mount brakes but I assume the ration for those wouldn't match campy 10. Any insights??
That set up will work fine...in spite of brake lever geometries, caliper geometries and 'differences' in pull ratios, actual differences are small and mixing and matching with road calipers seldom doesn't work.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:37 PM

Thank you sir!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Only the 11s from the last few years received the actuation ratio change, and only the Chorus, Record and Super-Record gruppos.
I don't know how much of a change occurred, but prior to perhaps three years ago the 10s and 11s derailers had the same actuation ratio.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Only the 11s from the last few years received the actuation ratio change, and only the Chorus, Record and Super-Record gruppos.
I don't know how much of a change occurred, but prior to perhaps three years ago the 10s and 11s derailers had the same actuation ratio.
Talking brakes sir, not derailleurs. But I've installed many '11s' ders onto otherwise older 10s systems with no issue and 2015+ 11sders work fine with pre2015 ERGO. The only thing that doesn't really work is 2008 10s rear ders with 11s ERGO. Undershifts a lot but is 'fixed' with alternative cable anchoring which is really hard to explain. Rotating the back plate by the cable anchor bolt to make the cable travel 'further'...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-13-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Talking brakes sir, not derailleurs. But I've installed many '11s' ders onto otherwise older 10s systems with no issue and 2015+ 11sders work fine with pre2015 ERGO. The only thing that doesn't really work is 2008 10s rear ders with 11s ERGO. Undershirts a lot but is 'fixed' with alternative cable anchoring which is really hard to explain. Rotating the back plate by the cable anchor bolt to make the cable travel 'further'...
Nice to have the oldP as a resource here...i have direct mount Dura Ace on my otherwise Record equipped Parlee based on his recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
Nice to have the oldP as a resource here...i have direct mount Dura Ace on my otherwise Record equipped Parlee based on his recommendation.

Excellent and far superior quick release(on lever) to boot!...
Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Excellent and far superior quick release(on lever) to boot!...
Yup..nice to have the campy quick release buttons on levers and the adjustment on dura ace calipers as well. The only problem i had was the direct mount-under mount dura ace rear caliper. The campy crank arm didn't provide enough clearance for the caliper. We had to shave off a bit of the caliper with a grinder to clear the NDS crank arm....otherwise great!!

Old 09-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
Yup..nice to have the campy quick release buttons on levers and the adjustment on dura ace calipers as well. The only problem i had was the direct mount-under mount dura ace rear caliper. The campy crank arm didn't provide enough clearance for the caliper. We had to shave off a bit of the caliper with a grinder to clear the NDS crank arm....otherwise great!!

Yup, with the brake 'way down there', a pro can't hang onto the team car and have the wrench look like he's adjusting the brake, while the pro gets towed back to the pelOton, any more.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Yup, with the brake 'way down there', a pro can't hang onto the team car and have the wrench look like he's adjusting the brake, while the pro gets towed back to the pelOton, any more.
I'm sure they'll find another reason...maybe water bottle adjustment??