Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the reasoning behind right = rear brakes for U.S. is that most people are right handed and the idea is a newer rider in a panic would grab too much brake, and the right hand being stronger, if used for the front, would cause too many face plants.
I've read that it's because we ride on the right in the states. you can signal with your left hand while safely slowing the rear with your right. hence why moto routing is popular in countries where they ride on the left. (that said, I signal with both hands.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
The shifting however is just like I have it on my bikes, left front and right rear derailleur.
I don't believe anyone makes shifters otherwise, do they? unless you gutted and swapped them maybe?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM

My cyclocross bikes are set up that was as another poster mentioned. My other bikes are set up normal. I'm about the most confused person you could ever meet but it still doesn't bother me. When you want to stop, grab your brake levers and pull them in till you slow down... See how easy that is?

If it helps think of the word Runt. Right-Front
Old 09-13-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
The left lever is the clutch on a moto, not the rear brake...
This is really it. Kids in Europe ride small motos from an early age in lieu of cars and this is second nature to them. If Europeans really thought the other way around was going to be the right way, you'd have seen all the bike brake manufacturers reverse the front caliper so it pulled on the left instead of the right.

In the US, they don't, and the crepuscular thinking of CPSC decided that the right brake had to go to the rear by virtue of reasoning from an administrator who had never in his life ridden a bike without a coaster brake.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM

I just built up my gravel bike moto style. Not necessarily by choice because unbeknownst to me, SRAM sells their Force 22 hydro shifters setup moto style (at least through UK outlets)

I've seen it in use before, as others have mentioned, on cx bikes. Really didn't take much adaptation on the first ride.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
I just built up my gravel bike moto style. Not necessarily by choice because unbeknownst to me, SRAM sells their Force 22 hydro shifters setup moto style (at least through UK outlets)

I've seen it in use before, as others have mentioned, on cx bikes. Really didn't take much adaptation on the first ride.
Cross bikes usually left rear cuz dismounting left side and squeezing (rear) brake, otherwise may tip bike onto nose if mashing front brake while dismounting. How I built all cross bikes in shop, right front, left rear.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 PM

After a 80 km ride yesterday, I am happy to report that it is a non-issue. Absolutely no drama. Of course did not have any instances requiring an emergency stop, but I intend to keep it that way. I don't expect it to be an issue with that either, since i think that if we ride with any regularity, we tend to use both brakes pretty equally.

BTW the Canyon bikes that Rapha rents to the Rapha Cycling Club members are very nice. Carbon frame/fork, 9170 dura ace, carbon Mavic wheels. All for $30 AUD a day. Very happy with my decision to join the RCC(rental being the main reason why I joined).
Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM

Good news then, cuz Sinny is not a great place to ride.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I've read that it's because we ride on the right in the states. you can signal with your left hand while safely slowing the rear with your right. hence why moto routing is popular in countries where they ride on the left
This is true.