Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
I've got a friend with a Santana Visa that is for sale. Nice bike. Used to be mine. I'm sure it could be had for well under a grand. In OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I need to clarify, I think. I updated my profile to show this, but I am in Virginia. The CL ad was from SD area, but for a coupled bike with cases, that shouldn't be an issue. I'd be interested in a bike from where ever it is, but sadly OC (unless that's Ocean City) isn't local.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 AM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
And there's no such thing as a too-stiff tandem frame- they twist, get a stiff frame together with cushy tires, saddles and (maybe) a suspension seatpost.
Back when we tested tandems we found the Cannondale to be fairly stiff riding. Tires need to be pumped to correct psi for best performance otherwise the handling goes to pot. Tandem Rider is correct, about 15-20% higher psi than road single.

Remember, two cyclists sprinting (or cornering hard) all out (or a little) on a tandem puts a lot of pressure on those 2 tires.

So a tandem frame (just like a single) should not be too stiff for given strength/weight/riding style of the team.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Thanks.

Here's a photo of my tandem, because I don't do anything with it other than look at it or post pictures of it.

Actually I take that back, I do have a couple of power cords hanging from the handlebars, which is quite convenient, and at times it will hold dry cleaning as well. The bullnose stoker bars work great in that capacity while the bike is hung vertically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
I'd second that emotion.

Last edited by 54ny77; 09-12-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
That is, without a doubt, the sexiest clothes hanger I've ever seen.

... well, at least that wasn't a treadmill or a NordicTrack.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:22 PM

We have the same model Santana. 20 years ago it cost $5k. It's a steel frame, so it's going to last
This one has some upgrades, so the price seems reasonable.

Our has a disc brake in the rear. The original hydraulic disc brake was a nightmare, so we switched to a mechanical disc (BB7) and haven't looked back

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Santana-Nove...QAAOSwd~RZUGiS[/QUOTE]
Old 09-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Keep looking! That is crazily overpriced IMHO, and I really don't think you want the independent crank. You can find a quality road tandem for a grand if you are patient. For example, a few years ago I picked up a mint Cdale RT3000 with full ultegra and quality wheels for that price range. Be patient, find one that fits. Discs are not a big need unless you plan to do some serious descents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I'm starting to seriously look at getting a tandem for GF & me. I looked at this one on CL, and it looks good to me, but it is older (~2005). I'm not sure what to even look for.
It has 26" wheels. I'd rather 700's, but should I care that much?
Too old for disc brakes. Are the ones it has good ones? Would converting to disc be a total PITA? Even worth it? The Avid Drag, as I understand it, is to scrub speed off long descents.
And the "independent coasting system". It sounds like a good idea. Is it in practice? I've only ridden one tandem. Really enjoyed it, but it was 20 years ago & a very cheap bike even then.
Not sure if anything will come of this, but any guidance from tandem riders would be great.
I saw the one listed in the classifieds, but even older & the 165 cranks seem really short.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...301059464.html
Old 09-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Here's a photo of my tandem, because I don't do anything with it other than look at it or post pictures of it.

Actually I take that back, I do have a couple of power cords hanging from the handlebars, which is quite convenient, and at times it will hold dry cleaning as well. The bullnose stoker bars work great in that capacity while the bike is hung vertically.

Beautiful bike. Sorry it doesn't get used on the road. Are you looking to sell?
Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Thanks. Not yet. Don't *need* to sell, but at some point might *want* to sell. It was full custom (I'm 5'9" and wife's around 5'5") and an anniversary gift, although about as well received as a socket set. At least the parts are all brand new and will last for years. So even though it sits, it'll still be plenty modern once it actually turns a pedal with the two of us on it. Am hoping that happens next spring, although I've been saying that now for a long time..... I just pump up the tires now & then while it hangs. Sadly, the tires have actually dried out since I first mounted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberace View Post
Beautiful bike. Sorry it doesn't get used on the road. Are you looking to sell?
Old 09-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Zap & Zenmotion...
I was thinking about Larry, actually. I know he used to do tandem tryout rides from the Mt Airy location, so that would be a good stop. Does he still have anything to do with the College Park location, or is it just Mt Airy? CP would be closer, but not sure I'd want to test ride anything around there. I bought rollers from him about a million years ago. He gave me a no hands, one-legged demonstration of how it's done. I never managed to replicate that.

And you guys have talked me out of the CL bike. I was wondering if the independent coasting thing was a good idea or not & the consensus seems to be no. I'll keep looking. Don't want to buy crap, so all of this is a huge help.
Oh, and 54ny77... I'm about 5'9". Could always use more closet space. Just sayin...
Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 PM

The College Park shop has been "for sale" for a long time but I have not seen Larry in at least 2 years so no clue if it's still his.

You don't want to do your first tandem ride in College Park.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:05 PM

Thanks Makoti, perhaps ping me in the spring, I might be convinced to fish or cut bait with it.

It was a lot of fun to put together, and if my wife actually got interested in tandem riding (I'd put odds of that happening at 100:1), I'd be cool with doing it all over again on something new or different. Or maybe I'll just buy her a nice new set of torque wrenches for our next anniversary instead....

I doubt Tsunami's making 'em anymore, in fact I don't know if Joe's still in business.

Quote:
Zap & Zenmotion...
I was thinking about Larry, actually. I know he used to do tandem tryout rides from the Mt Airy location, so that would be a good stop. Does he still have anything to do with the College Park location, or is it just Mt Airy? CP would be closer, but not sure I'd want to test ride anything around there. I bought rollers from him about a million years ago. He gave me a no hands, one-legged demonstration of how it's done. I never managed to replicate that.

And you guys have talked me out of the CL bike. I was wondering if the independent coasting thing was a good idea or not & the consensus seems to be no. I'll keep looking. Don't want to buy crap, so all of this is a huge help.
Oh, and 54ny77... I'm about 5'9". Could always use more closet space. Just sayin...
Old 09-12-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Zap & Zenmotion...

I have no idea what's happening in CP- though that is where I bought our tandem back in '99. Even if Larry still has CP bikes in any case there's a much bigger inventory at Mount Airy, and it's not too far. Neither is Tandems East for that matter, I really like those folks as well, I'd go as far as to say the best tandem shop in the country.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I doubt Tsunami's making 'em anymore, in fact I don't know if Joe's still in business.
I think he sort of is, if that's an answer.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 AM

To echo GregL's remarks-yes, it's all about trust. My stoker descends SO cautiously on her single bike that I was afraid she would not tolerate any speed on descents. But eventually she got acclimated and enjoys the speed. I know it would only take one mistake to blow the trust though. Keep the stoker happy! If I say something that upsets her all of a sudden it's like running on 3 cylinders.

On suspension seatposts-lots of discussion on the google groups forum on this. Some racer-types with Calfees say they dont need them. The first time we rode our Cannondale it had 700 x 25 Gatorskin tires at 100psi and no suspension seat post and my stoker said it was fine. Now the same bike has thudbuster and 650b x 47 tires with pressure in the mid-high 40's, and my stoker has become an expert in tire pressure, commenting on tires being too hard or soft.