Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
Ronsonic,
I'm in the New Tampa area. The waiting is the sucky part. How much CNN, NBC etc. can anyone watch. I've also got ice, propane and and and...good luck tonight and tomorrow to you and others in the area.

Mike
I'm in tarpon springs. We have decent elevation, but we were evacuated yesterday. Grabbed some clothes, and left thinking we may have nothing when we return. Honestly, I can care less about my bikes, I just want my home and the community to still be there
Old 09-10-2017, 06:19 PM

It looks like the worst is over for Naples and South. My Father's place was minimally damaged, and flooding hasn't reached the ground floor, although the street is flooded by foot or two. No power. Big relief. I hope everyone is hanging in there in points North.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Embracing my

I'm in Spring Hill (north of Tampa) and knock on wood, everything is still on. Looks like the storm shot its wad in the Keys, Naples and Ft. Meyers because it appears to be rapidly weakening. Might be a Cat 1 by the time it gets here.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Good luck to all.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:10 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I don't want to make light of a deadly serious situation, but I do have to wonder what it would be like to try to ride with an 185 mph tail wind.

Assuming the bike hardware could take the speed, at that speed the turbulence would most certainly be too much to handle since your lateral stability would not be very good. I would be willing to try in, say, a 75 mph tailwind. I know that many of my wheels have been up to 55 mph for very short periods in the steep downhill leading out of my subdivision, (my pb gravity assisted speed) but I don't know how long the hub bearings could stand it.
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/...663874&yr=2017
Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
Ronsonic,
I'm in the New Tampa area. The waiting is the sucky part. How much CNN, NBC etc. can anyone watch. I've also got ice, propane and and and...good luck tonight and tomorrow to you and others in the area.

Mike
Hi Mike, yep, the long, dragging wait for that thing was wretched. No TV news for me, I was online watching NOAA stuff. Then lost internets and that's when the TV came on. I just got back on line about 20 minutes ago, so of course I had to come here after checking my email.

Other than the info-pipe breaking we suffered nothing that a rake and some yard work couldn't fix. So many people around here are without electricity and I was about to go take my mom over when they got her area rewired.

How'd you guys north of here do?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Embracing my

We got power back today, the outage was about 36 hours. No damage other than branches and palm fronds in the yard. All and all a relief over what had been forecasted.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Small ring

Heading to my dad's in St Marys GA tomorrow. He is a WWII vet, and still thinks he can do anything. I was planning on a trip to make his DVD player work and take all the stuff off his computer that he has no idea how it got there.

His house looks okay, but there are some big looking branches on the roof, and a lot of Georgia pine on the ground.

Glad I had the trip planned ahead of time and can help him out for once, instead of the other way around.

Stay safe Paceliners in all the storm areas.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Administrator

We ended not getting a direct hit from Irma, but she slapped us pretty good. Nearly 90% initially were without power in my county. We still have no power, cable or internet, and I just got cellular data this evening. We have a limb laying on our power line and we don't know when this will be fixed. We also have some water intrusion in our bedroom, soffit and facia damage, and debris everywhere. Schools are closed until next week, long lines at the few open gas stations. It's going to take a while for our community to recover from this, but I'm thankful for it not being worse, as I'm sure the folks on the west coast have it much worse.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Two sections of fence and some yard debris is total of our damage. Power stayed on the entire time!! I think we really got of lucky compared to other areas.
Mike
Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 AM

One of the schools my wife works for in Jacksonville was flooded and has no power. They expect to be shut down for at least the rest of the week.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Just discovered the roof leaked at my office
Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Can anyone tell me if the Naples area/Collier county is still without power?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
One of the schools my wife works for in Jacksonville was flooded and has no power. They expect to be shut down for at least the rest of the week.
Most of the schools are like that here. I just got power and wi-fi. Glad to take a hot shower
Old 09-14-2017, 08:30 PM

Hey folks, anyone in the Longwood area? Was it hit badly? Enough to cause damage to houses, etc?