Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 11:31 AM

I am building a shop. I would love any advice.

We bought the lot next to our house. There is enough room to build a 50'x50' shop.

I want build a BMX/pump track around the periphery. We went to Moab and they have a small pump track Everyday the kids wanted to go to the small pump track there. So, I made a couple small jumps and features the kids can ride on. When we go out an play all the neighborhood kids come over and play. So, with the spare lot I want to go make a pump track and some small trials features. Any feature or pump track advice would be appreciated.

Ideas for the shop:
Drain in the middle with a sloped concrete floor. Water with the potential for a high pressure sprayer.

Shop heater.

Swamp cooler. Some afternoons, I putter around in the garage and work on projects. I leave the garage open, so I can watch kids.

My brother in law told me they have preformed concrete trusses. The concrete trusses would make a walk out basement possible. Put a mother in law cottage in the basement. Put an air hockey table in the common room of the basement.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:49 AM
bourbon!

You need compressed air system for sure. With long hoses. Makes life much easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 11:59 AM

Since this will be a multi-use building including living quarters I would consider central heat air that might be dual-zone. I've visited Pueblo several times. On one Easter vacation we were playing basketball on the driveway in shorts and no shirts on Monday and shoveling snow on Tuesday.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Everything is connected

I have used Morton Building Systems for clients that wanted shops, bars, equestrian facilities, etc. on their properties and it was a very efficient process, as the designs are optimized for a prefab building system. I am sure that there are similar firms in your area as well.

https://mortonbuildings.com
Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Beer fridge should be on your list.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:27 PM
coffee consumer

50x50 is sorta big for the whole shop....plus, you may want to 'lock' up stuff when you're not there. How about a 20X20 shop area and then large covered patio to provide shade....maybe with one of those self-serve maintenance stations?

the lawyers may reccomend liability insurance...but that goes against the spirit of why you're doing this, eh?

thats my $.02....sound like a great project!
Old 08-30-2017, 12:48 PM

Outdoor Shower

Outdoor shower!

Since you will already be running water and electric to the shop, it is very easy to add an outdoor shower using an electric on-demand single point heater. All of the plumbing, electrical, filtration, and heating can be built into the wall. Last summer we built a 10x20 shed in our yard, in conjunction with a major landscaping project, and the outdoor shower we built into the shed has been awesome and frequently (multiple times per week) used.

We used this heater, but size yours for your expected demand and input water temperature. (Photos show the current input temperature and the set output temp.)

I used a single valve shower handle - we set the temperature at the heater, and the handle just acts as on/off for the flow.

We installed an in-line filter before the heater (I removed the access panel to photograph).

I can also highly recommend this 2mm-thick 1-square-foot rain-shower stainless steel shower head. (All of the exterior metal fittings are stainless steel.)

The base drains into a dedicated dry well.

Last edited by ORMojo; 08-30-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 PM

Check out Garage Journal--some great projects and ideas:

https://www.garagejournal.com/
Old 08-30-2017, 12:56 PM

If you'll ever invite others to use the pump track I recommend a well thought out waiver and good insurance policy. And an alarm, and surveillance system.

I think my California'ism is showing through.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:04 PM

50x50 is huge if it's just for shop space, especially if it's generally single-purpose. My shop is 20x30 and is used for wood, metal, and bike work. It's great, but I do get a lot of metal dust on the wood stuff, and wood dust on everything. A lot of dust in general, it makes the space very hard to keep clean.

I had a lot of good clay dirt trucked in from a nearby building project for my pumptrack. I didn't want to dig up the yard and deal with drainage issues, so most of what I have is just built upwards whereas most people dig down for their dirt which can create puddles and such where we live (pretty wet). Turns out that a lot of bad building soil is perfect pump/jump soil! I got some extra and have a nice pile waiting in the wings. The track is a constant work in progress and we keep adding/changing/building as the interests/abilities change.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
Outdoor shower!

Since you will already be running water and electric to the shop, it is very easy to add an outdoor shower using an electric on-demand single point heater. All of the plumbing, electrical, filtration, and heating can be built into the wall. Last summer we built a 10x20 shed in our yard, in conjunction with a major landscaping project, and the outdoor shower we built into the shed has been awesome and frequently (multiple times per week) used.

We used this heater, but size yours for your expected demand and input water temperature. (Photos show the current input temperature and the set output temp.)

I used a single valve shower handle - we set the temperature at the heater, and the handle just acts as on/off for the flow.

We installed an in-line filter before the heater (I removed the access panel to photograph).

I can also highly recommend this 2mm-thick 1-square-foot rain-shower stainless steel shower head. (All of the exterior metal fittings are stainless steel.)

The base drains into a dedicated dry well.
I now have outdoor shower envy. Our outdoor shower looks nothing like that. Very nice!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:14 PM

50x50 is a great size. As noted above, divide it if you're doing metal/wood projects. The two don't play well while under construction.
Also, power. Whatever you put in, at some point you'll wish you had more, here, or over there.
And count up the equipment you'll have running, and buddies over so how much running at one time, as you figure power needs.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 PM

If I had that kind of room for a workshop I'd be getting a hydraulic car lift so I can more easily do my own work (a lot I can do but if it requires a lift I'll pay someone else to do it to save my back and knuckles).
Old 08-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
If you'll ever invite others to use the pump track I recommend a well thought out waiver and good insurance policy. And an alarm, and surveillance system.

I think my California'ism is showing through.
And a beer fridge!
Old 08-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Don't know about your heating season, but I would strongly consider in-slab, H2O radiant heating. Even if you have the shop heated to 65F, standing on a cold concrete slab is unpleasant. A shop that large could and should be broken up into 4 or more zones to maximize comfort and efficiency.