Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I think the hub is 126 and the frame is 130.
Right! I don't think he'll have any lasting issues with the frame after tossing the 126mm hub and using a 130mm.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I've got a Campy headset I can send you (the one off the Keith Anderson shown here) free for shipping. And also have the original Cinelli bars and 90mm Cinelli stem I'd send for the same. Or if you want some nice Nitto 26.0 bars, I have two pairs of 42cm wide ones in the classifieds. And I've got a Campy Record (might be Chorus, not sure) aero post from the same bike (shown here) that I just need to take some simi-chrome to...27.2, would look great on there. I'm just trying to unload, so let me know what you're interested in...

I agree with the others on getting it to matching Campy stuff, wheels, etc. It's a great frame and worth picking stuff up off here to make it all gel as you'd like.
Thanks for the very generous offer. I'd take you up on the headset and potentially the seatpost, but would insist on at least a token payment/donation for your trouble. I already have a decent 3ttt handlebar set aside, and I'm looking for a Cinelli 1A stem-- alas 90 mm is probably too short. I'll PM you.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesiJezi View Post
Right! I don't think he'll have any lasting issues with the frame after tossing the 126mm hub and using a 130mm.
I was definitely a little worried about issues, mainly out of complete inexperience with 753 tubing. I wouldn't think twice about it with typical CrMo. I don't think this bike was ridden much judging by the seller's story and the amount of anodizing left on the non-machined brake track-- I think I took off more in the last two days than the previous decade.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
Thanks for the very generous offer. I'd take you up on the headset and potentially the seatpost, but would insist on at least a token payment/donation for your trouble. I already have a decent 3ttt handlebar set aside, and I'm looking for a Cinelli 1A stem-- alas 90 mm is probably too short. I'll PM you.
Sounds good - I'd take a token payment for the seatpost since it's going to take a little elbow-grease to get it looking pretty..
Old 08-29-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You are an enabler! (...)
LOL. Your wife isn't going to call me now and chew me out, is she?
Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I haven't. Do you use a shim? I thought I read somewhere that they can develop a crack around the seatpost binder using a 27.2.

If it's actually a 27.4, then stay with that, but if they crammed a 27.4 in instead of 27.2, then maybe you're in business...plus some 27.2s are a bit bigger than others and some smaller...
Old 08-29-2017, 02:56 PM

I would say this is best left with DT shifters and Campy would be the only way to go. I'm an ergo guy, but on this bike, DTs seem 'right'.

yes, ditch the wheels for sure. A tandem owner will buy those and you can pour that cash into some conventional Campy/Open Pro type wheels.

The stem and bar dilemma is obvious.

The post should stay. Don't mess with .2mm shims - they wouldn't work correctly, in my opinion. I know Thomson makes 27.4mm if you could fit on a straight seatpost.

Cool bike!
Old 08-29-2017, 02:57 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Have you tried a 27.2 in there?
That's the 27.4 'era'...just find a 27.4...
Old 08-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Small ring

That Waterford definitely takes a 27.4, nothing wrong with the American Classic.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:16 PM

What size and angle stem do you need? I like barends ok but not DT shifters. This bike will be a wonderful "modern" ride so I don't think ergos or Shimano brifters would be out of place.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:58 PM

anyone else think the front fork doesn't look right?

not sure if it's the angle or what but looks like it bends slightly backward before sweeping forward.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post

not sure if it's the angle or what but looks like it bends slightly backward before sweeping forward.
I thought so too, but that appears to be an optical effect caused by the spokes. (Remember the old optical illusion where diagonal lines make perfectly straight parallel lines appear to bow outward or inward? http://geometryhelper.weebly.com/opt...llusion-2.html) I don't have Photoshop to draw a line along the head tube and fork, but if you look at an angle and sight down the head tube the fork looks dead on.

Last edited by dgauthier; 08-29-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post

I noticed that when I posted the picture, but it's got to be the camera angle. I took it from inside our "bike closet" at work, so I'm really close to the bike and nothing is quite square. It doesn't look like that in real life. It's also a really tall bike-- the SN# starts with 66 so I assume Waterford calls it a 66cm, but I measure 64cm c-c x 61.5 top tube.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM

I think you need a set of wheels with a few more spokes.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:25 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
I noticed that when I posted the picture, but it's got to be the camera angle. I took it from inside our "bike closet" at work, so I'm really close to the bike and nothing is quite square. It doesn't look like that in real life. It's also a really tall bike-- the SN# starts with 66 so I assume Waterford calls it a 66cm, but I measure 64cm c-c x 61.5 top tube.
It will fit me just fine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk