Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 PM
slower than you

Wow, looks like I pushed some buttons. I guess my button was pushed. I figured it out today. It's that stoner hipster thing he's doing. I ski a lot, and I ski a lot in Colorado. As soon as I hear that come out of a young, bearded face, I run the other way. It's pretty visceral. I can't stand it. It's the male equivilant of valley girl speak from the nineties. It just screams, I'm vacuous, and proud of it. I practice this every day! It's just so white and empty. Eh.

Now, Sagan, that's a whole other thing. I like him. He's just weird. And, he wins, so, there's that. Personally, I think an athlete has no right to market him or herself as cool or witty or a unique personality unless they have something to back it up. Certain female tennis players excluded. Anyway, that voice! How bizarre. I've been around Eastern European accents all my life (north jersey, my older relatives from Poland) but his is just something. Seriously, he would make an awesome Renfield to a Dracula in a modern production of that story, film or stage.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 PM

I respect Pink's admitedly vapid and honest comments above.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Wow, looks like I pushed some buttons. I guess my button was pushed. I figured it out today. It's that stoner hipster thing he's doing. I ski a lot, and I ski a lot in Colorado. As soon as I hear that come out of a young, bearded face, I run the other way. It's pretty visceral. I can't stand it. It's the male equivilant of valley girl speak from the nineties. It just screams, I'm vacuous, and proud of it. I practice this every day! It's just so white and empty. Eh.
Go watch Thereabouts 2.

He's anything but.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:49 AM

Pink you need to Netflix The Big Lebowski
Old 07-18-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Wow, looks like I pushed some buttons...
I think you explained yourself well here, and I respect and agree with your opinion.

I think Taylor is creative and has personality; he just hasn't found his voice yet. Yeah; some would say he's not acting maturely. I can understand this based upon the "stoner persona" in his videos. I'd like to call it an evolution. Sooner or later he'll hit his stride or at least one that will have greater appeal.

I'm sure he's very mature in other areas of life, considering his history.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:17 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
Pink you need to Netflix The Big Lebowski

"Smokey, this is not ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.”
Old 07-18-2017, 06:20 AM

After watching the Bauke Mollema interviews after he won his stage and saying the same **** every time I realized it because reporters aren't asking anything different. I think that's why I actually like Taylor Phinney, because he's like 'don't ask me that lazy canned ****, 'cause I'm not gonna give you a lazy canned answer'

When reporters asked him how long he was planning to keep the jersey, his answer was 'are you an idiot?' I'm 190 lbs and don't deserve to wear this thing more than today so it's pretty unlikely to be wearing it in the first place and you should know that. So ask me an intelligent question. But he's too nice to belittle the reporter directly so you get the Boulderite stoner response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 AM

+1 for being in the Taylor Phinney Fan Club

+1 for Thereabouts (1, 2, and 3)

These days, pro cycling needs all the help it can get to get.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM

I've been a fanboy since he started cycling and I'm WAY impressed with his accomplishments and his injury come-back. But his interviews...just dopey, almost irritating.

However, I was dopey when I was his age and he'll probably mature when he matures.

Last edited by Hawker; 07-21-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:02 PM

I caught the beginning of one of Taylor's segments - First he described and showed us the bowl of mush he was eating, then went on to the fascinating ritual of tearing the pages for the day's stage out of his route book.... that's when I hit the fast forward - the word that came to mind was "pap". The laid back surfer dude delivery didn't help.
Then I caught a pre-stage interview the other day, and he was worse than any other rider they interviewed - he had absolutely nothing to say. Personality? Sorry, I didn't see it. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but when I see his face I'm reaching for the remote.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

What is he supposed to say?

The good news is he was still in the Tour - the bad news he is vying for Lanterne Rouge.

Probably wishes he never agreed to do these segments.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
What is he supposed to say?

The good news is he was still in the Tour - the bad news he is vying for Lanterne Rouge.

Probably wishes he never agreed to do these segments.

BK
The Lanterne Rouge is no shame and is akin to being the "worst" QB in the NFL playoffs. You're there because you deserve it and besides, the team is not about him. His team's leader (Rigoberto Uran) is in 3rd place and only 29 seconds out of the leader's jersey and the odds are he's doing all he can to finish and support his team leader.

He's nearly last because he's saving energy and working for the team.

I've not seen a single interview with Taylor Phinney. If he's finishing the Tour he deserves applause, not even the remotest murmurings of criticism.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The Lanterne Rouge is no shame and is akin to being the "worst" QB in the NFL playoffs. You're there because you deserve it and besides, the team is not about him. His team's leader (Rigoberto Uran) is in 3rd place and only 29 seconds out of the leader's jersey and the odds are he's doing all he can to finish and support his team leader.

He's nearly last because he's saving energy and working for the team.

I've not seen a single interview with Taylor Phinney. If he's finishing the Tour he deserves applause, not even the remotest murmurings of criticism.

I guess you missed today's little Taylor segment. Cringeworthy. Someday, he's going to look back at that when he's 50, and think, wow, what was I thinking?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I guess you missed today's little Taylor segment. Cringeworthy. Someday, he's going to look back at that when he's 50, and think, wow, what was I thinking?
Or...live life without regrets and not give a flying rat's ass.

Either way.