Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2017, 08:59 AM

Kayle Leogrande Busted for Doping Again

It's all over my social media but I don't see an outside article to link. Surf City has kicked him out following a bad piss test for his win at Dana Point. He was racing well this year. Some people don't learn.

An old story as reminder: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/sp...tual-fall.html

Last edited by ptourkin; 06-09-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Ha. Not surprised to see this. It is just so blatant when an ex-doper is racing as well as he did in the last year or two.

Seth Davidson lit Kayle up on his blog today:
https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2017...r-at-the-time/
Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM

"Stupid is as stupid does..."
Old 06-09-2017, 10:03 AM

I've raced out there. 2012 55-59 Masters Nats in Bend, we averaged 29.5mph on a very technical course. We blew off half the field in five laps. The pace at the front was just like a P/1/2 crit. Insane. Nobody got more than two seconds on the field. All the big teams were there, Monster Media, Sho-Air, Morgan Stanley, etc. You really don't have to wonder.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM

So awesome, thanks for the read.

Some of my favorite tidbits:

"Because so many people dope now, there aren’t enough drugs in China for a saggy old fart like Kayle such that it will put him orders of magnitude above the drug-addled grandpa peloton. He won, but so did others. The Pollyannas pointed to that as evidence of a Kleen Kayle and a level playing field, but there’s a much worse explanation, which is that doping is now the norm because it has dripped down through the I.V. to the very lowest, contemptible, and delusional level of the sport: Middling masters racers."

"Like Richard Meeker, this reprehensible SoCal crit cheat will go away and discover hiking, open a juice bar, devote more time to his family, find some part of his glory hole that hasn’t been inked, or *MAYBE* become a USAC-licensed coach for the seven juniors left in the state of California. Maybe he’ll even man up like Levi and start a famous grand fondue, or really serve the public like Jonathan Vaughters and start his own professional race team. But what he will not have left in his wake is destruction, ruined dreams, or shattered lives."

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
Ha. Not surprised to see this. It is just so blatant when an ex-doper is racing as well as he did in the last year or two.

Seth Davidson lit Kayle up on his blog today:
https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2017...r-at-the-time/
Old 06-12-2017, 04:38 PM

This guy was worse than a doper....he was like Lance in that he attacked those around him to try and save his skin when he was being investigated. Knowing his history of such bad behavior, you really have to wonder about his team welcoming him aboard.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:43 PM

The only thing more irritating than the dopers are the bloggers with their witty prose and retweetable-ness who get the Fred army all whipped up on the social medias. Click click click click.

Kayle sucks for what he did. From what I can tell, he's not well liked outside of SoCal scene much at all.

I wonder who else on his team is in the antidoping crosshairs. Charon?
Old 06-12-2017, 04:58 PM

I don't understand why there is any tolerance in this sport.

You cheat, you get permanently kicked out. Simple.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
From what I can tell, he's not well liked outside of SoCal scene much at all.
You think we love him or something?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Earl, don't you ride a C60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
The only thing more irritating than the dopers are the bloggers with their witty prose and retweetable-ness who get the Fred army all whipped up on the social medias. Click click click click.
Moderators, I think my account has been hacked. I believe I've been redirected to Weight Weenies.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Lol
Old 06-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I don't understand why there is any tolerance in this sport.
Maybe because doping has been an entrenched part of the sport for a hundred and fifty years, all the great champions used dope, and dope works. What do you expect?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:42 PM

I read a lot of cycling books in my spare time and one thing I've noticed is that every few years (every decade, maybe?) there's another big dope scandal, and every time a bunch of changes are supposedly made to make sure it doesnt happen again, and the sport is cleaned up. I've just kind of accepted that doping is generally part of pro cycling, maybe not everyone is doing it, but the majority sure seems to be. All this is JMO, of course.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:04 PM

60 y/o dude at almost 50 km/h average? w . t . F???

My experience here in the US racing was something similar but like 2 years ago... this was just a local thing, but the ammount of 50s and 60s y/o dudes that looked fit as a teenager was really weird, what impressed me the most was the amount of sandbagging in the area... the organization put the cat 4,5 and masters all together, but clearly the UHC and other teams cat 5s and 4s were at least 1s... average speed? well.. at least 45 km/h... besides the sandbagging that to me as a ex racer I would not be prod of stealing a candy from a baby if you understand what I want to say the super good shape 50 and 60 y/o dudes that finished the race clearly something else was going on there aswell.

Asking here and there, a guy from colombia that knew people I raced with back in the day, he kind'a let me know that something clearly is going on and that for him is more embedded in the cycling racing culture than you could imagine.

People sometimes gets sick and for them compete is everything and will do anything to be the best, I do agree but from compete and be sick about is is just insane. So this tattoo guy getting caught again doesnt surprise me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I've raced out there. 2012 55-59 Masters Nats in Bend, we averaged 29.5mph on a very technical course. We blew off half the field in five laps. The pace at the front was just like a P/1/2 crit. Insane. Nobody got more than two seconds on the field. All the big teams were there, Monster Media, Sho-Air, Morgan Stanley, etc. You really don't have to wonder.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I raced out there the previous year. That white tent was there for the RR, you should have seen the DNS's that day, including several that beat me like a parade drum 2 days earlier.

All pro sports/entertainment is like that, I wish the amateurs were not though.