Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2023, 07:21 AM

CSi compared to Speedvagen

Saw an early 2010’s Speedvagen for sale and I’ve always had a soft spot for those. Problem is, my Joe Bell painted CSi would have to go.

My CSi is decked out with the new 12 speed Campy Record and the Vaenn is rim brake AXS.

Would I even tell a difference between these two steel beauties once I’m on the road?
Old 12-21-2023, 07:40 AM

Is your CSI custom to you? The Speedvagen was made for someone else, you may not gel with it. Or it could be the best bike you've ever ridden. If you love your Serotta I'd keep it. CSI's are considered to be one of the best steel bikes made.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:14 AM

Short answer is yes. The Speedvagen will likely feel like a higher performance bike while still retaining the comfort and lively steel ride. This is all dependent on the bike fitting you and your riding style. The CSI and other Serottas I have owned were all high performance with that all day comfort built in, but not as snappy as the Speedvagen I owned.

Obviously this is pretty subjective, so I would keep the CSI around until you get a chance to ride the Vagen and determine whether or not it's for you!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2023, 08:16 AM
tailgunning

can i offer option #2? pull the parts off the CSI, hang it on the wall as art, and put it on the SV

i just rebuild my bikes whenever i get the itch, but it keeps me from having to store a bunch of completes.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:52 AM

I had a CRL which was the predecessor to the CSI. I’ve had a Speedvagen too. They are my two favorite bikes of all time. The Speedvagen, if it fits, is more modern so I would choose it. If the CSI is custom to you then that’s a different story
Old 12-21-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I had a CRL which was the predecessor to the CSI. I’ve had a Speedvagen too. They are my two favorite bikes of all time. The Speedvagen, if it fits, is more modern so I would choose it. If the CSI is custom to you then that’s a different story
Here's a thought: Is a bike that was custom built for you 20+ years ago still an ideal fit for you all these years later? Hmmm, I probably should have posted this as a new topic since may have broad applicability.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:19 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I think this may come down to the aesthetics and your lust dejour.

I have a CRL and an English. A fair comparison to the more contemporary build/art on the English VS the CRL. Both of these custom made for some one else, but spot on as if made for me.

Rolling wise in my case the CRL comes across more stout. If I had my power and legs of 20 years ago I'd take the CRL all day every day. By that I mean the rocket rides and group testosterone fests.

So I don't know where you are regarding age power etc, or if that is even analogous.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:38 AM

I would be reluctant to get rid of a custom for me bike that I was really happy with for an unknown bike that was not custom for me.

For me the grass is usually not greener on the other side of the fence with bikes. If I have a bike I'm really happy with I know it's not easy to find a bike I'm more happy with.

For me that's really all about fit and where my weight is on the bike in relation to the wheels, etc.. .. new whizbang features are not an improvement unless they match or better the old bike in terms of fit and weight distribution.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
can i offer option #2? pull the parts off the CSI, hang it on the wall as art, and put it on the SV

i just rebuild my bikes whenever i get the itch, but it keeps me from having to store a bunch of completes.
This is the solution, especially as I imagine the CSI isn't going to fetch a lot of $.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:15 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I would be reluctant to get rid of a custom for me....
Reluctant or not, and I get that... Sometimes one has to go to get another one. I have let some go over the decades I wish I had not.

PL is a certainly a popular Choir for this subject.

I still have my 1st Custom, delivered to me 12/26/2000. A Strong road Foco 3.7 lb frame. Resale on any custom is pretty non optimistic. Great when buying used certainly. And why I have 3 custom made 'not for me' which may as well have been. Usually the reason I add one.

I know lots of riders lack the room or lust to have multiple. Possessing sanity and control, that is not me. I still have a 753 Custom hanging. It is not worth enough to loose the option later to paint/rebuild.

What would a silver soldered all Henry James fitting frame cost to have made today. I think we all know the answer.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:22 AM

Is it that dark blue rim brake speedvagen?

I wouldn't hesitate if so, the price is right and a steel rim brake road frame delivers an exceptional ride.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:45 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
a steel rim brake road frame delivers an exceptional ride.
After a few years of disc 700c experimentation and getting back to basics of rim brake again, I could not agree more. Without the 'extra' in the build for disc forces I find more life and liveliness rolling is sublime simplicity.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:16 PM

meant to specify a steel rim brake speedvagen, but i agree it applies generally! i loved the way my og1 rode
Old 12-21-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
Is it that dark blue rim brake speedvagen?

I wouldn't hesitate if so, the price is right and a steel rim brake road frame delivers an exceptional ride.
Yeah, it is. Been messaging the seller. Seems like a good dude.

The CSi wasn’t custom to me. I picked it up off the classifieds here a few years ago and have been loving it. Top tube is perfect at a 58 but the seat tube is a bit too big. Rides fantastic tho. Issues are aesthetic.

And I have always wanted a Vagen.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:26 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch View Post
Yeah, it is. Been messaging the seller. Seems like a good dude.

The CSi wasn’t custom to me. I picked it up off the classifieds here a few years ago and have been loving it. Top tube is perfect at a 58 but the seat tube is a bit too big. Rides fantastic tho. Issues are aesthetic.

And I have always wanted a Vagen.
if you think the SV is the right fit, I'd go for it.. but I would be sure and get all the important geo numbers and measurements from the CSi while you have it built.. you might want them later to replicate..