Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2017, 03:58 PM

Related Question

Thanks for this question, it's something I've been meaning to explore as my vision continues to deteriorate (old age sucks.)

My question is this: can I order prescription lens for the Flak Jackets that I already own or do I have to order a new frame as well?

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 PM

Absolutely yes.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:06 AM
Gallant C.

My photochromatics go from basically clear to medium dark. They don't get as dark as really dark blacked out sunglasses. But they get dark enough for most sunny days. I believe they have ones that start out mildly dark and then get very dark as well. Mine I wanted to be able to use in early mornings and on foggy days. Talk to your optician and they can recommend the various type of photochromatic lenses Good luck!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM

I have a few pairs of Flak Jacket's with RX lenses. One of the things to be aware of is that there are limits to what many labs will install as far as RX strength.

We were going to have one of the pairs made up into our son's RX but due to the amount of correction Oakley would've gone with a different type of lens and it was cost prohibitive. We got him a pair of Frogskins that due to them being a full frame and flatter pair of glasses Oakley was able to fit their regular lenses to.

I'm looking to order a pair of photochromic lenses for one of the frames I've got. Oakley claims the clear to brown goes from 92% down to roughly 18%.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:06 AM

Might as well take off and Nuke the site from Orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

http://www.sportsoptical.com

They pretty much do any prescription.

Having had 2 pairs of Prescription Oakleys I would say the Rudy Projects I have now are way better glasses for cycling ignoring prescription issues. Never been so happy with a pair of glasses. Just so damn functional and comfortable.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:28 PM
shimergo

Sorry to bump this up, but after visiting multiple places, I've been told VSP insurance will not cover the lenses. The lenses are too "curved" and will need to be sent out to Oakley labs or something to be made. This is applicable to mostly Oakley and even Rudy Project frames.

Anyone else have the same experience? Sounds like I'll have to just fork up and pay for it or purchase from some of the other recommended online shops here.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:01 PM

I've been able to get my RX in the sport frames FlakJackets. HalfJackets, etc due to my RX not being super heavy. We had to go with a frame that didn't have as much wrap for my son due to him having a stronger RX.

Oakley does have an option for stronger RX in their lineup but it's even more pricy than their normal RX lens offerings. I think you'll find similar limitations with any pair of glasses that have a fair amount of wrap.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:30 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Again, check with Sports Optical in Denver. I think they can do pretty much anything RX-wise,

I don't remember extra charges for stronger prescriptions but I don't have a particularly strong one.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.