Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM

Subscribed, the wife's been asking for a new mattress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Bronco View Post
Subscribed, the wife's been asking for a new mattress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Which reminds me of one of my dad's favorite jokes......about the couple trying out mattresses and switching from a queen to a king. She's sold on the bigger king for the extra room, but the husbands not buying it.

Salesman goes on to explain how it's only four inches wider but it makes a big difference.

"Wow, I never new an extra four inches made such a difference in bed!"
Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 PM

I guess I started this thread about a year ago. The Nest mattress worked out great for both my wife and I. I guess mattresses are pretty personal as was stated in this thread but the Nest experience was really good. Arrived pretty quickly in an unfeasibly small box for a king sized mattress. My kids stood on the tightly rolled plastic encased mattress when I cut it open and had a kick as it sucked in air and expanded.

Our previous mattress cost a fortune, weighed a tonne and was about 8 years old and my wife didn't like it. Didn't know I could donate it so I had 1-800-GOT-JUNK come pick it up. They told me that they had picked up 6 brand new online mattresses that month for return (obviously not return, they trash them). It still seems like a risk free proposition, buy online, delivered to your door, if you don't like it after 100 days someone will come and take it away all for nothing.

We also bought a couple of Nest pillows, pricey but absolutely awesome!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 PM

lotta folks never explore latex

vs other foams. may i suggest you do. love mine.

i like these guy's approach:

https://www.sleepez.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVb-8hGSQt4

Last edited by eddief; 07-23-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:41 PM

I'm very happy with my Casper. I was able to try it in their NYC store, so I didn't buy it blindly. West Elm has them to try too, if there is one near you.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfs View Post
I'm very happy with my Casper. I was able to try it in their NYC store, so I didn't buy it blindly. West Elm has them to try too, if there is one near you.
Ooh that's an idea. There's one not far away I'll see if they have any to try, thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 PM

We're trying a Tuft & Needle mattress right now, we've had it for a few weeks but haven't decided if we should try a Casper and Leesa. We liked the fact that T&N was the only company that donated their returned mattresses to the Salvation Army. It's also on the firmer side, which was our preference. Other than that it was nothing mind blowing. Having had some experience sleeping on a $5k tempurpedic before (I didn't buy it), I would say it's about 80% of the performance at 20% of the cost IMO.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
Does anyone have any experience buying a mattress from one of the online only mattress manufacturers/retailers? We are in the the market for a new king sized mattress, or at least my wife says that we are. We were going to buy a hybrid mattress from our local Mattress Firm but for $2500ish that the local place wanted we can save quite a bit by buying from the likes of:

http://www.saatvamattress.com
https://www.nestbedding.com

If anybody has feedback on buying from these places I'd love to hear it from a place I trust.

Thanks!

Idris
Unfortunately I have tried so many mattresses in the past few years (temperpedic, purple, nest and so many more) because of severe back problems.

I am currently using a Saatva and it's outperformed all of them. It's medium firmness and very well made. Delivery was great and it's a winner for me.

I think it really depends on how much support/firmess you need from your mattress but you'd be hard pressed to find something as comfortable as the saatva if you have back issues.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 AM

We ended up with nest bedding hybrid latex due to moving situation (needed it in a box). Extremely happy thus far. Discount coupons around. Pretty wild how this massive piece of furniture blows up after just cutting the plastic.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 AM

Mattresses appear to be sold a lot of different ways. The same mattress might be sold under a bunch of different names. Different stores pay different commissions to sales people etc......So without sleeping on one for a while....how do you really know?

All the extra features some folks want, maybe cost an extra $50 in manufacturing.....but that smart mattress some times is priced hundreds or a thousand more.

Not sure there is much relationship to what you pay VS what you get. Or how would you really know?