Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM

For just one room id get these. The sound is pretty fantastic for what it is.
Can play via bluetooth or airplay. Easy setup, rarely have issues unless one tries to connect to many devices in which case a simple reboot (off / on) gets em back online.

I bought them in grey.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wireles...nitors-review/

Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Administrator

BUMP!

So, almost two years later, any new recommendations or further reviews on previous mentions? Starting to look into this for the home.

William
Old 09-16-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
BUMP!

So, almost two years later, any new recommendations or further reviews on previous mentions? Starting to look into this for the home.
The original request was for a bedroom. There isn't a lot of room (or need) for a big speaker setup and usually not much space to set speakers either. It's not an uncommon situation in many rooms of the house.

If you want something that's one relatively small box (like about a 6-inch cube) and stellar, amazing sound, check out the Mass Fidelity Cube. It's some extremely sophisticated acoustic processing and feedback, has internal lithium battery power if you want to put it somewhere without an obvious power cord, offers near-field charging on top if your phone handles it, and the sound is simply spectacular. It uses feedback to read the acoustics of the room and adapts the sound processing algorithms to match what it hears. You can also customize it extensively. It's not cheap (I paid $499 which seemed outrageous for a bluetooth speaker) but it's justified the price. It's in a whole different league from Bose and the other compact offerings out there. It can also feed via optic cable or bluetooth into a TV to provide better sound quality there as well.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:36 PM

One room, basic sound? Sony XB3 https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRSXB3-B.../dp/B019Q895XE
I have one & I'm really pleased with the sound it puts out. Use it with my phone & Pandora through Alexa.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 PM

Bluetooth -- I bought a RIVA turbo x which runs on battery when desired, pretty portable. Very good sound, but not the loudest...
Old 09-16-2017, 09:53 PM

my setup

I have a Brennan B2 with 2 Sonos Play 5 set up as a stereo pair. I also have a Sonos boost.

I burned over 500 CDs to the Brennan B2, and made it part of my home network. This allowed me to box up all my cds and put them in storage. Except for plugging everything into the wall, it's all wireless except for the boost, which is connected to my router. As the name suggests, it boosts the wifi signal to the play 5 speakers.

Sound is outstanding, and it's super convenient. Not cheap, though. Play 5 speakers are about 500 a pop, as was the Brennan B2. The boost is also a few hundred.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Basically just starting to look into it. I'm trying to figure out if there is a wireless option that will work with the computer/wifi, XBox One, and BluRay player since we access movies/music/media that way.

William
Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM

Perhaps more complicated than you want ..

I was also using multiple sources for whole house audio. For a while, I use a external DAC (pulling from Blu-Ray, Airplay and Mac) outputting into a Sonos Connect. The Connect and Play 5's allow an input that then is sent to all speakers in your Sonos network. Mine was a simple Cambridge Audio DAC. Worked great although I had to change the source manually.

All that said, I now have the Connect output to the DAC which then goes into whole house audio receiver for main living areas (Family Room/Dining Room/Kitchen/Patio/SunRoom). I have Sonos in 3 bedrooms, Playroom and garage. The Sonos speakers sound great for general listening.

The key for Sonos for me was reliable streaming. Years of cobbling Apple Airports and network extenders grew old. Sonos fixed the streaming reliability and Google Wifi fixed coverage for everything else.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 AM

Sonos play 1. $199 per is hard to beat.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric01 View Post
Sonos play 1. $199 per is hard to beat.
Unless it's only $140.
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/fe5939b6...or-%24140.html
Old 10-08-2017, 06:08 PM

Not sure if this is of any help - I got this sagean wr22 and use spotify

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-WR-22...=sangean+wr+22
Old 10-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
I have a Brennan B2 with 2 Sonos Play 5 set up as a stereo pair. I also have a Sonos boost.

I burned over 500 CDs to the Brennan B2, and made it part of my home network. This allowed me to box up all my cds and put them in storage. Except for plugging everything into the wall, it's all wireless except for the boost, which is connected to my router. As the name suggests, it boosts the wifi signal to the play 5 speakers.

Sound is outstanding, and it's super convenient. Not cheap, though. Play 5 speakers are about 500 a pop, as was the Brennan B2. The boost is also a few hundred.
Started a thread about the Brennan b2 and got crickets. Must have not asked it right. Please let's hear more about your set up.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:07 PM

brennan b2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Started a thread about the Brennan b2 and got crickets. Must have not asked it right. Please let's hear more about your set up.
It's worked out very well for me, but it was pretty time consuming to go from CD to flac files, especially for over 500 CDs. It's also a little clumsy/awkward to use, compared to some mainstream product from a large electronics firm like Sony or Samsung. So, if you burn a cd to the hard drive on the b2, and for some reason you want to change the name of the artist, album, or a particular track, you have to use this very primitive method that involves spinning a button and going letter by letter, sort of like the navigation unit in a car.

It does work great once everything is done. There are a few little hoops you have to jump through to use it with Sonos products, and in particular the initial setup is super time consuming. It's not like you have to really do anything except wait, but of course when you're waiting you wondering if it's really doing what it's supposed to do, or if you screwed it up. But, once again, ultimately it's exactly what I was looking for.

I know you didn't ask this, but when used in conjunction with a pair of sonos play 5 speakers it sounds great.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:23 PM

$99 for Denon Bluetooth. great for a bedroom or kitchen
Old 10-08-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiertetimestwo View Post
Another music/"hi-fi" question.

I would like a new way of playing music in the bedroom- the best source would be my Galaxy S4 phone.

Any recommendations? I have been looking at some of the cheaper Bose wireless speakers (Soundtouch?)and the Sonos Play 1.

I fully understand where those who refuse to have any product in their houses are coming from, but hi-fidelity is not a prime concern in this instance, although having said that the Sonos does seem to be preferable.

I know I can hook up my phone to most wireless speakers via Bluetooth, but not the Sonos Play 1- for this I need go through the wireless system in the house (and, embarrassingly, I really have very little idea how to do this) otherwise the Sonos can be connected to a source via an Ethernet cable.

Dumb question- is there any way I can use an Ethernet cable from my phone to the Sonos? Apologies for my technological cluelessness!- I still like my Audio Innovations Series 500 valve amp- but it's not in the bedroom...
You can't say "high fidelity" isn't a concern, otherwise you would just play the music through your phone's speakers. You want it to sound good. The task here is to get the best sound the easiest way possible.

There are so many possibilities these days. I can only offer this: stay away from streaming that requires compression. That means bluetooth is out -- only a wifi connection will allow an uncompressed transmission.

Even if your source is compressed, why compress it again? CD quality audio requires only 1.5 Mbits per second, which is probably about 2% of what your phone is capable of. So to answer your question: no, you don't need an ethernet connection to your phone, because your wifi connection won't be challenged at all to provide even the highest bit rate audio. You can do this all wirelessly without a moment's concern.

Go with an uncompressed wifi connection, then choose your favorite products that offer that.

Last edited by dgauthier; 10-08-2017 at 10:11 PM.