Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 AM

New to me Pedimoto. Need help with build options.

Hi folks.

I picked up a Pedimoto yesterday at a swap. It's a fat tire randonneur type rig that's built for a rohloff. I know bicycletricycle just had a very similar frame. I'd ideally like to build it with a derailleur as I'd rather not afford a rohloff. Can anyone speak to this being possible? Will swapping out dropouts for a derailleur effect the geometry or should it be the same? The rohloff dropouts appear to drop lower but I could be wrong about that. The sliding dropouts appear to be paragon.

Anyway, I'm excited to build this up any which way I have to and would love any recommendations. I already bought a clamp on cable stop for the right chain stay should I go that route. Also needing a quill seatpost which is pretty weird to see on a modern bike. The frame has full internal routing including routing for dynamos. I'm not sure how to deal with the lack of fender mounts on the back. I'd hate to have to put P clamps on this thing...

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 AM

And the rear canti posts are not actually flattened. The camera distorted them.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 AM

That sure is a good looking frame! What size is it?!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
That sure is a good looking frame! What size is it?!

It has a 63cm seat tube ctc and 58.5 tt. It will have a "French fit" for sure which is how I like it!

Old 09-15-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eogie View Post
Hi folks.

I picked up a Pedimoto yesterday at a swap. It's a fat tire randonneur type rig that's built for a rohloff. I know bicycletricycle just had a very similar frame. I'd ideally like to build it with a derailleur as I'd rather not afford a rohloff. Can anyone speak to this being possible? Will swapping out dropouts for a derailleur effect the geometry or should it be the same? The rohloff dropouts appear to drop lower but I could be wrong about that. The sliding dropouts appear to be paragon.

Anyway, I'm excited to build this up any which way I have to and would love any recommendations. I already bought a clamp on cable stop for the right chain stay should I go that route. Also needing a quill seatpost which is pretty weird to see on a modern bike. The frame has full internal routing including routing for dynamos. I'm not sure how to deal with the lack of fender mounts on the back. I'd hate to have to put P clamps on this thing...

Thanks for any help!

I now have the very similar frame previously owned by a couple of forum members. I have mine built single speed while collecting parts for a porteurish geared build. Here are a few things.

You should be able to use paragon insert dropouts, from what Ive read. They sell a drive side insert with a derailleur hanger. Lynskey also sells them. I have not tested either, but will report.

Rear spacing on mine is 135. and I couldn't fit modernish road cranks with a 110 bb. The cranks just touched the chain stays while riding.

I had someone braze a binder clamp on the seat tube rather than deal with a wedge seatpost.

Heel clearance around the back brake is no good for a wide profile canti.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestmachinery View Post
I now have the very similar frame previously owned by a couple of forum members. I have mine built single speed while collecting parts for a porteurish geared build. Here are a few things.

You should be able to use paragon insert dropouts, from what Ive read. They sell a drive side insert with a derailleur hanger. Lynskey also sells them. I have not tested either, but will report.

Rear spacing on mine is 135. and I couldn't fit modernish road cranks with a 110 bb. The cranks just touched the chain stays while riding.

I had someone braze a binder clamp on the seat tube rather than deal with a wedge seatpost.

Heel clearance around the back brake is no good for a wide profile canti.

Thank you for all of the information. I purchased the paragon dropouts with the derailleur hanger and there was slop top and bottom and the dropouts were a bit too thick and didn't allow for the bolts to be tightened down all the way. I sanded them down and they seem to be holding strong.

I'll also be doing to a porteurish build. I'd love to see your bike as it develops. One issue I'm encountering is mounting a rack up front as the fork crown is not drilled. The only mounting points are the canti posts and few racks accept that. I suppose I'll also be using P clamps on the rear for mounting fenders even though it has all other necessary brazeons for them.

I don't follow what you mean about heal clearance for a wide profile canti. Are your canti posts reversed/facing the other way?

Brazing on a seat clamp is not so easy since my frame is chromed.

Thanks for the input and look forward to seeing your build.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all of the information. I purchased the paragon dropouts with the derailleur hanger and there was slop top and bottom and the dropouts were a bit too thick and didn't allow for the bolts to be tightened down all the way. I sanded them down and they seem to be holding strong.

I'll also be doing to a porteurish build. I'd love to see your bike as it develops. One issue I'm encountering is mounting a rack up front as the fork crown is not drilled. The only mounting points are the canti posts and few racks accept that. I suppose I'll also be using P clamps on the rear for mounting fenders even though it has all other necessary brazeons for them.

I don't follow what you mean about heal clearance for a wide profile canti. Are your canti posts reversed/facing the other way?

Brazing on a seat clamp is not so easy since my frame is chromed.

Thanks for the input and look forward to seeing your build.

Yes, I have reversed brake posts on the rear triangle. Your fork crown looks partially drilled. Is it not completely drilled? Haven't run a bolt through mine.

I bought braze ons to add to the rear for fenders, but changed my mind. I think I can mount something though the gaps around those big sliders that will be tidier than P-clamps or braze ons. Just a Velo Orange fender stay clamp and a button head bolt should do the trick.

I will add some pictures later.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have reversed brake posts on the rear triangle. Your fork crown looks partially drilled. Is it not completely drilled? Haven't run a bolt through mine.

I bought braze ons to add to the rear for fenders, but changed my mind. I think I can mount something though the gaps around those big sliders that will be tidier than P-clamps or braze ons. Just a Velo Orange fender stay clamp and a button head bolt should do the trick.
My fork crown is partially drilled but I suppose I can finish the job. Wonder what that would do to the chrome...

Are you referring to these?

https://store.velo-orange.com/index....ames-10mm.html
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
My fork crown is partially drilled but I suppose I can finish the job. Wonder what that would do to the chrome...

Are you referring to these?

https://store.velo-orange.com/index....ames-10mm.html
I was talking about the R clips. I put them on the inside of the dropouts, using that big teardrop hole above the slider slot, and a bolt, nut and washer.

Not sure about the chrome. A frame builder could advise on drilling the crown, but I would do it to mine. My frame seems to be galvanized, so I will paint it at some pint.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I was talking about the R clips. I put them on the inside of the dropouts, using that big teardrop hole above the slider slot, and a bolt, nut and washer.

Not sure about the chrome. A frame builder could advise on drilling the crown, but I would do it to mine. My frame seems to be galvanized, so I will paint it at some pint.

Here's a picture of the little teardrop washer I made to fit the slot above the slider. I wouldn't mount a rack with this, but it will do for a fender stay. The R clip is inside the stay.

Cut it out of 22 gauge sheet metal with tin snips and drilled a hole. The first hole was in the wrong place. Will need to paint.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Daniel

How'd this build turn out? I have been intrigued by Pedimoto since I first heard about his work, probably first from BT's Pedimoto (that looked a lot like this...that I regret not buying...)

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk