Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 PM

I noticed we are the same age saab! We ought to get out and ride!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Just bought a retirement house in east bay Rhode Island, great environment. I am surprise how ignored southeastern MA is, Fall River, New Bedford great infrastructure "somewhat" close to Boston, easy to the cape. Don't see why business don't invest down there.
Spot on. That's always been a mystery to me too. It seems stuck in the 90s as far as development goes. The proximity to Boston and excellent recreation are worth living there.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Spot on. That's always been a mystery to me too. It seems stuck in the 90s as far as development goes. The proximity to Boston and excellent recreation are worth living there.
Well, they just lost 1.1MW of electricity from their local grid. Might have an effect, might not.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I would like to think my current hometown of Atlanta has a shot.
Traffic would kill it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Don't know if will boom but Portland, ME is awesome. Was just there last week, for the second time and loved it.
I love Portland. Good food, Casco Bay....

I'm going to vote ASHEVILLE, NC, myself. I love the Southern Blue Ridge, and Asheville is a kind of a small, hip place to hang in the middle of it. Good food, beer, scenery, interesting arts scene, reasonable cost of living, and more a liberal mindset to my liking. And did I mention it's beautiful?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:18 AM

Call me paranoid, but im worried about whats going to unfold regarding global warming, sea levels rising, and whatnot. Especially now that global warming is "a myth".

What happens if in 5-10 years, governments around the world officially announce that people should start thinking about moving away from the coastlines? That house you just bought on the coast for all your marbles a few years prior will nosedive in value as there wont be anyone buying houses on the coast anymore.

Can someone with actual knowledge of this kind of thing tell me im just being crazy?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Call me paranoid, but im worried about whats going to unfold regarding global warming, sea levels rising, and whatnot. Especially now that global warming is "a myth".

What happens if in 5-10 years, governments around the world officially announce that people should start thinking about moving away from the coastlines? That house you just bought on the coast for all your marbles a few years prior will nosedive in value as there wont be anyone buying houses on the coast anymore.

Can someone with actual knowledge of this kind of thing tell me im just being crazy?
fm pal, do you listen to the radio a lot?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:41 AM

As for Amazon's second HQ causing a boom, I kinda doubt it. How many jobs is it going to create anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
As for Amazon's second HQ causing a boom, I kinda doubt it. How many jobs is it going to create anyway?
50,000 has been mentioned.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
According to the Googles, East St Louis, IL has the highest murder rate in the US, 2017.

i say the next boom city is there. the cinderella story of 2017, from the murder capitol of America to the next big thing.
That's the spirit!

Honestly, it's hard to imagine what would turn around any of the big Rustbelt cities in any fundamental way (perhaps Pittsburgh is an exception). No matter what they hope, an Amazon isn't moving anywhere that isn't already doing great. In the St. Louis area, you can easily find houses in lousy areas for $10k and in perfectly decent areas for $100k. But I don't think housing prices provoke growth.

I concur that SLC is the next boom city. It checks all the boxes: outdoor opportunities, investment pools, good airport, etc.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesiJezi View Post
I just spent 3 years living and working in Seattle, which I found to be progressively backwards and narcissistic. I'm living in an area now that is about 50/50 red/blue, and the culture is just so much more open, welcoming and friendly. I think we need opposing viewpoints to give us a reality check! I still work in Seattle FWIW--It's a beautiful city with lots of opportunity.

In other countries people can be friends with people they disagree with politically... why can't we do that here??
well, just found out yesterday I'll be transferring to the Kitsap Peninsula this summer... Silverdale to be exact. We're really looking forward to it as it sounds like it has the convenience of Seattle, without having the traffic/etc of Seattle unless you go across the sound...
Old 09-16-2017, 09:58 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhound View Post
That's the spirit!

Honestly, it's hard to imagine what would turn around any of the big Rustbelt cities in any fundamental way (perhaps Pittsburgh is an exception). No matter what they hope, an Amazon isn't moving anywhere that isn't already doing great. In the St. Louis area, you can easily find houses in lousy areas for $10k and in perfectly decent areas for $100k. But I don't think housing prices provoke growth.

I concur that SLC is the next boom city. It checks all the boxes: outdoor opportunities, investment pools, good airport, etc.

But there's awful sprawl and traffic, horrible air quality (the worst I've seen since L.A. In the sixties), a general ugliness to the place, if one isn't in the mountains, the usual crime problems, but, most important, a very Mormon centric culture, both public and private. The latter does not encourage a smart, open minded populace to move in. I don't see SLC on hardly any list of places that young, smart people want to move to. Denver is stealing that thunder, a similar place for outdoor activities, and much more open to diversity.
Skiing is killer, though. Best snow in the country, some say the world. Such a shame.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
well, just found out yesterday I'll be transferring to the Kitsap Peninsula this summer... Silverdale to be exact. We're really looking forward to it as it sounds like it has the convenience of Seattle, without having the traffic/etc of Seattle unless you go across the sound...
I replied to your other thread... that's great! The Kitsap Peninsula is a great place to live/work/ride. The whole area is experiencing growth and has been for the last 20 years at least. I didn't mention this in my other post, but the sociopolitical climate is what you'd expect in a smaller city--more blue towards the urban core, more red as you get out in to the sticks. Most of these counties do vote blue every election cycle. Someone mentioned BI in the other thread... Bainbridge Island is a bit blue-er than other areas as there are a lot of Seattlites who live there and take the boat to work. King County incomes without the King County policies, taxes, traffic, etc.