Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2017, 02:41 PM

Getting hot spots on both feet: run me through suggested solutions

A month ago, I changed out my worn Speedplay X series cleats for new X series cleats. I had no problems with hot spots before, but I do now. It's affecting both forefeet. It was pretty bad right after, but it seems to be getting a bit better.

I also found out that the base plates were misaligned, so I know I moved one or both, but not sure which. The guide lines (i.e., the ruler markings on the soles to aid with cleat positioning) didn't line up when someone took a proper ruler to the shoe, and this is a 2010 Specialized S Works women's road shoe ... I'd based my original cleat position on the guide lines. Either way, I've shifted the cleat position a bit from the original position on one or both feet, by up to 5mm. Apart from that, no changes to pedals, cleats, or apparel.

So, run me through the solutions. I know trying to move the cleats back a bit (few mm at a time) is one suggested solution. Others?

Last edited by weiwentg; 09-11-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:52 PM

some good ideas here. i had/have similar problem.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=207302

by the way, switching from speedplays to wider platform shimano didn't really fix the issue for me, in case you were considering that idea.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

by the way, switching from speedplays to wider platform shimano didn't really fix the issue for me, in case you were considering that idea.
I think it's unlikely to be the Speedplays, because I've used them for 15 years, and only after the incident above did I suddenly have problems. So I wasn't thinking of switching. But if I do switch, it won't be to Shimano pedals.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Shoes and insoles

Many your shoes and/or insoles are worn out?

If you are no longer getting the support that you used to get- that could be the problem.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post

If you are no longer getting the support that you used to get- that could be the problem.
They're 2011 or 2010 S-Works carbon-soled road shoes, bought in 2011 or 2010. So yes, if shoes or insoles wear out, then they'd be candidates. How do they wear out, specifically?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:29 PM

Shoes and insoles

Some soles get flexy in time-
Upper material stretches out so foot does not stay put to the same degree.
Insoles get flatter and more broken down- arch is not as strong, and the cushion get flattened out of them.

You be the judge-
Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 AM

Years ago I went through a spot of hot feet. In the end, I replaced the Sidis I had been using with Northwaves. Problem solved. Shoes were probably three seasons old when the problem started and they were the part carbon, part nylon soles of the time. I've worn out the Northwaves and a switched to Shimano shoes since then and never had another hot foot problem. Also switched from Time to Look to Shimano pedals.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Insoles get flatter and more broken down- arch is not as strong, and the cushion get flattened out of them.

You be the judge-
Fair enough. I have a pair of S works mountain shoes, same size, but much less use. So, I shall swap the foot beds and see what happens.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Think outside the bike. Or at least the shoes/pedals. Anything else about the bike change? Any other activities you are doing now that are new? Any tenderness in any other shoes or situations off the bike? New diet?

i feel your (foot) pain.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:

You be the judge-
I just went for a short ride in newer insoles. You know what, this could be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Think outside the bike. Or at least the shoes/pedals. Anything else about the bike change? Any other activities you are doing now that are new? Any tenderness in any other shoes or situations off the bike? New diet?

i feel your (foot) pain.
Now that you mention it, my feet have sometimes got sore while standing around barefoot on our faux hardwood floors. Doesn't happen in athletic shoes. But otherwise, no changes off the bike.

I had just been ramping the mileage up on the bike, though. I got over a minor knee injury this year.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:59 AM

I have the same shoes and the same problem. I'm due for an insole change.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 PM

For not much $ I like the Giro insoles FWIW
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:

The prize goes to John H. It was the insoles. Bought a pair of stock Specialized insoles after trying out the less-worn ones from my MTB shoes (also S-works, also 2010, but used less). Pain totally resolved. Soles themselves are OK!

I was a bit skeptical at first, as you saw, because I've yet to wear out a pair of insoles, and because the problem onset suddenly after changing my cleats. However, it turns out that I also never worn the same shoes for 6 or 7 years at a stretch. All previous shoes were either sold due to not fitting or destroyed in car v bike accident (yes, it was a bad one). And now that you mention it, the insoles are foam or something like it, and foam will compress.

Last edited by weiwentg; 09-25-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong poster. Fixed it.