Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
fair enough point. every shop should do this, even if they're busy with a customer and need to call you back. you want a high end bike, they should see the potential in the sale and not brush it off.

it would help if Cannondale would let you find which local dealers have your bike in stock. even if it's a lesser build than you'd like, you can at least test the fit. I mean, I can do this with Home Depot for a $20 drill, why can't I do it with an $11k bike? I get it though... LBS's don't have that technology in place and likely can't afford it.
Exactly. To be clear, we're not looking at the $11K flavor of this particular bike, and the shop we are going to doesn't have a single one in stock, let alone in her size. We're going shopping there because when I called their message was "we are a small shop with limited inventory space but here's how we work around that". I.e., they saw a customer need and had a plan to meet it. That plan may or may not work out, but I'll happily drive an extra 30 minutes for a shop that makes the effort.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I also went to 4 local shops trying to find a jersey for my daughter with no luck. She is young(12), but 5'1" so not terribly short or small. I also couldn't find one of those Bontrager rear lights that are popular...even at the LBS that advertised them in a email blast.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Shopping for decent kit for women (and girls especially) is tough. We were in Austin about 5 years back and stopped into Lance's shop. Say what you want about the guy, but I've never seen a shop with a broader selection of women's bib shorts. Entry level, high end, and everything in between. She still talks about that shop. The lasting impression - fair or not - is that she's being underserved elsewhere.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 PM

you don't have to stock every model in every size. but if you have one or two bikes in the extreme sizes it makes life much easier when the topic of a special order comes up because at least you've been sized. for instance, carrying a 48cm caad12 in a modest 105ish build would allow for them to size you up for a supersix
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I also went to 4 local shops trying to find a jersey for my daughter with no luck. She is young(12), but 5'1" so not terribly short or small. I also couldn't find one of those Bontrager rear lights that are popular...even at the LBS that advertised them in a email blast.

I went to buy 2 Bontrager Flares and the shop told me they sold out earlier. Went back a couple days later (they held them for me, and saw 6 more on the wall)... forgot to pick up some new bar tape and when I was there like 3 hours later, only 1 left... those things sell like hot cakes.

I will say the problem with bike shops, and retail in general is that everyone is undercutting everyone - it is the race to the bottom with slimming margins. Manufacturers should do a better job of protecting their msrp and it would make for better customer service, and keep the smaller brick and mortar shops in business. I could go on forever.. but I will spare you all!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Try contacting Skyrider here on the forum

He works at Fast Splits and while not Cannondale he might be able to help you

He is leaving Sunday for Vegas - back in a week

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:13 PM

I agree that retail is a very, very, very tough business. There is nobody forcing them though to have that business...so they should at least try.