Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2017, 08:42 AM

Rim Painting / Refinishing Help Needed

My Motobecane Jubilee Sport bicycle from the early 1980's needs a new wheelset.

The original bicycle came with Mavic "E" clincher rims, in a satin finished alloy. The bicycle is a metallic medium light blue color, and looks great with that rim color.

I the bicycle is set up now as a fixed gear bicycle with vintage Campagnolo C Record low flange pista hubs laced to Campagnolo Record tubular polished alloy rims. The ride is a little harsh around these New York City streets, so a change is needed.

The HED Belgium Plus rims are pretty amazing, and I purchased a clincher set to be laced up to the Campagnolo hubs. They are black, and to look better with the bicycle I'd like them refinished in alloy looking satin finish. Maybe a light sanding and a spray coating of silver metallic paint might work....not sure.

If there is a someone who is interested in refinishing these rims and building up with wheels please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help
Old 08-31-2017, 08:55 AM
Riding Along

You can get H plus Son TB-14 wide clinchers in silver.

Great rims and will save you the major hassle of trying to paint rims.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:55 AM

Don't have much to add about refinishing, but if you are looking for that color, the H+Son hard anno finish I think it close to what you describe. The TB14 might be a good option.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:58 AM

Ive never painted rims, thats what you want to do. The problem IMO is that the paint needs to stick to the anodizing of the HED rims. Since Ive never done something as wild as that im not certain that pain or even satin clear coat will stick to the surface for too long after having the rims sanded. Talking about painting strait over the rims.

The second option and probably will last longer? you sand 1st, then you put an epoxy primer for metal, that will stick there and then you paint ever the top and finish with satin clearcoat.

IMO doesn't worth the hassle, Did not know the campy rims where harsh, specially in tubular but the ambrosio montreal (comes in silver) is a softer rim compared with the gp4 for example, there are other box profile rims from campagnolo that are soft aswell. You can go 32 spokes or 28 but the problem is that the wheel will suffer a lot with the potholes, I was you I would stick with 36 and box profile tubular and inflating to 80 psi, no more than that.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
My Motobecane Jubilee Sport bicycle from the early 1980's needs a new wheelset.

The original bicycle came with Mavic "E" clincher rims, in a satin finished alloy. The bicycle is a metallic medium light blue color, and looks great with that rim color.

I the bicycle is set up now as a fixed gear bicycle with vintage Campagnolo C Record low flange pista hubs laced to Campagnolo Record tubular polished alloy rims. The ride is a little harsh around these New York City streets, so a change is needed.

The HED Belgium Plus rims are pretty amazing, and I purchased a clincher set to be laced up to the Campagnolo hubs. They are black, and to look better with the bicycle I'd like them refinished in alloy looking satin finish. Maybe a light sanding and a spray coating of silver metallic paint might work....not sure.

If there is a someone who is interested in refinishing these rims and building up with wheels please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help
I'd be happy to build them post refinish...