Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
You're right, each individual Z-link is not length adjustable, but they are available in a multitude of lengths from 60 mm to 110 mm, so there is bound to be one that's right for any given application.
The straddle cable that came with late 80s SLR cantilevers was adjustable because one side was the brake cable itself. I've only set them up once, but the results were great.

Untitled by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr

Old 08-30-2017, 01:08 PM

I've been wanting to try the Tomii magic beans. $35/pair isn't exactly cheap but they do look great! https://www.tomiicycles.com/-shop
Old 08-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Administrator

colonel, the amount of real estate you have available for such devices is astounding compared to what i'm working with! i've got very very little room for play generally between the cable carrier and the stop.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
colonel, the amount of real estate you have available for such devices is astounding compared to what i'm working with! i've got very very little room for play generally between the cable carrier and the stop.
I hear you. FWIW, looks to me like the bike pictured is a good application for those roller hangers. The VO ones are a little more difficult to install due to their design. The Gran Compe ones they sell now are a copy of the Dia Compe ones from the 80s. I haven't used them, but they look very solid from what I can tell.

They make for a very clean installation, but you have to mock up the brake and make sure you have your levers and cables in the right position then cut the cable. You can't really pull the cable through to adjust, pinch then cut the excess. You really need a third hand tool (I use an Irwin Quick Clamp - not sure why I've never just bought the actual third hand tool).

You could use a shorter housing stop hanger on the rear. What you have does not allow much room as you said. If the straddle angle is where it needs to be then it's not a big deal, but if it isn't optimal, well. .

I may have one of these in the bin. PM this evening and I'll take a look. That last section of rear housing is an excellent spot for segmented aluminum housing like Jagwire Elite Link. The way it handles tight bends is markedly better; big difference. I may have enough in my spare box to make you a section for that.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-30-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm tempted to try a set of roller hangers velo orange is selling...

these are not good IMHO, the brake cable is offset from the roller, when you apply a load they tilt forward.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
The straddle cable that came with late 80s SLR cantilevers was adjustable because one side was the brake cable itself. I've only set them up once, but the results were great.

That sounds like the worst of both worlds:

- While one side is adjustable, the other side is not, so effectively there is no adjustability - if one side varies from the other, the straddle will be lopsided and pull unevenly.

- The cable is locked in between the straddle and the cantilever arm, so if the cable breaks above the straddle, the straddle wires can fall onto tire, and if the tire is knobby, it can lick the wheel up.

CPSC requires all new bikes sold to have a front reflector, and you've probably seen them mounted on a bracket like the picture below. The bracket actually serves a dual safety function - not only does it hold the reflector, but in case the brake cable should break or come loose, it stops the straddle wire from catching a tire knob and locking the front wheel.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
- While one side is adjustable, the other side is not, so effectively there is no adjustability - if one side varies from the other, the straddle will be lopsided and pull unevenly.
Those brakes were designed to pair with SLR levers and that straddle is specific to those cantilevers so I guess only one angle was intended and could be achieved in a "shorter" or "longer" overall straddle by choosing one of the two "ends". Perhaps the design is such that it guides the installer to produce the correct straddle angle simply by centering the fixing bolt.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-30-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:44 PM

Suntour Power Hanger, shown here on my tandem. It's reversed because I hook my front brake up to my right lever, which means I had to put a short cable on the left side (right in the photo) and drill and tap half an inch of aluminum rod to hold the main cable at the other side.

You have to have a hole in your fork crown or seatstay bridge, but you don't have to have a cable hanger or worry about how close it is. Absolutely eliminate shuddering. And they make the brake feel nice and stop like mad. Our own donevwil pointed me toward them, suggesting the addition of the cable adjuster, and I've put them on all my canti bikes.

The Suntour ones are getting scarcer but here's a link to some nice knockoffs from France: www.ebay.com/itm/122412203677

Old 08-30-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
Cantis are a PITA to adjust, and I don't have the time/patience/skills to do it quickly.
Avid Tri Align canti brakes. It will take you a lot longer to find that 4mm than it will to adjust toe or height.

The straddle cable carrier are pretty nice too.

Tandem worthy.