Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 PM

'76 Masi Gran Criterium - Modern Build

Hey Guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. Just got this project to a good working point and figured I'd share.

A carlsbad Masi has been at the top of my want list for a long time. I find all the detailing on them pretty amazing, and the fact that they were built in southern california adds a certain amount of hometown pride for me. After several years of lazily scanning craigslist alerts for them, I finally found a great deal on a frameset in my size. It's an obvious refinish but presents very well, and I'm actually a little grateful to not worry about every scratch or chip on it. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that these early models had a ton of tire clearance, so I figured a comfortable all-day rider build would be the way to go.

I found a deal on an Athena 11 group and thought it would be a great fit for the bike, but the frame presented some issues in terms of compatibility, namely nutted brake attachments and 120mm rear spacing. I definitely didn't want to permanently alter it in any way, so a fun part of the project for me became finding components that could be modified to work.

The brakes were pretty straightforward, Tektro has a ready-made option for older frames, I opted instead for VO Grand Crus and some longer pivot bolts. I prefer the look of them and they actually clear wide tires a bit better.

The rear wheel was a little trickier. After rooting around online I found guides on respacing 10 speed hubs to 126mm, which I felt comfortable slipping in to the 120mm dropouts. Turns out 5800 hubs are a very simple option for applying this same process to an 11 speed setup, as they use a standard 10mm threaded axle and cones. As long as you use an offset rear rim the dish is workable, at least quite similar to a regular 11 speed hub and a non-offset rim. The wheel sets been holding up well for the last few weeks, if they keep up I'll probably get some older campy hubs and do a classier version of the same concept.

Anyway, the rest of the build is pretty straightforward, Nitto finishing group and some plump panaracer tires. For me it's been the perfect compromise of a very comfortable ride that still corners and accelerates well enough to keep things exciting. Hope you like it, and let me know if there are any questions!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Great job and a cool build!

So explain something to me because I'm not a Masi expert-that vintage Masi (made in Carlsbad CA) was only 120mm in the rear and had the Campy long rear dropouts?

I would have expected those Masi's to be current vintage enough to have 126mm rear ends and 1010B dropouts.

Also, did the Carlsbad Masi's go without the flag decals on the downtube? Looks like a good refinish job, by the way.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Byron

Looks very nice. I Like that you could get chubby tires on that vintage bike. Hope you can make some campy hubs work. I'm just swapping out a Mavic Starfish crank set for a compact Athena. I will miss the subtle Mavic logos. I really could care less about the crap Campy is labeling on the cranks. I'll take the shape and shine any day.
Enjoy the new setup.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 PM

Thanks Peter!

Honestly I'm no expert on those details either, I just referenced an online serial number registry to get that 1976 estimate. Would be happy to share some more specific info if there are folks on here who have some deeper knowledge about all of it.

Appreciate the compliment on the respray as well, definitely assumed the seat tube bands were just overlooked at that time. The seller told me Brian Baylis had done the work, although there's lots of little defects (sloppily trimmed decals for example) that made me incredulous.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 AM

I love this. What a perfect do-all machine.

I am a Campagnolo guy, but I think I would leave the hubs. Just get yourself a classy set of silver record skewers and call it a day.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 PM

Nice build! I'd also pick modern components so I can ride up hills without pedaling squares and descend without requiring the strength of two hands to operate a single pivot brake. FYI, I was able to take a 130 spaced, Record rear cassette hub (the one with the threaded axle), remove some washers to get it down to 126mm, redish the wheel, and pop it into a 126mm spaced rear dropouts. The ends of the axle might've extended past the outside face of the dropout. It wasn't enough to be a problem because the inside of the skewer nuts have a bit of a recess that was deep enough to accommodate any little bit of protruding axle. Anyway, I didn't have to do any filing down of the axle.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:53 PM

Thanks! And that's awesome info on the record hubs. I actually have a set in the mail from the classifieds here, great to know I won't have to do any surgery on them. That was a big appeal of the 105 hubs to me initially, if they got mangled in the process somehow no one would send an angry mob after me, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Nice build! I'd also pick modern components so I can ride up hills without pedaling squares and descend without requiring the strength of two hands to operate a single pivot brake. FYI, I was able to take a 130 spaced, Record rear cassette hub (the one with the threaded axle), remove some washers to get it down to 126mm, redish the wheel, and pop it into a 126mm spaced rear dropouts. The ends of the axle might've extended past the outside face of the dropout. It wasn't enough to be a problem because the inside of the skewer nuts have a bit of a recess that was deep enough to accommodate any little bit of protruding axle. Anyway, I didn't have to do any filing down of the axle.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 PM
il Curmudgeoni

That is a really nicely thought out and executed build....it should serve you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post
I really could care less about the crap Campy is labeling on the cranks. I'll take the shape and shine any day.
A bit of #0000 steel wool and a few minutes time will remove the printing on the cranks and make them look much better IMO.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:31 AM

That looks really good! Looks like a fun rider.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:08 PM

Thanks for all the nice notes guys. The campy hubs I ordered arrived, here's a shot of them post-polish. Think they'll look great on the bike, and the hub dimensions are similar enough to the 5800 stuff that I can use the spokes on my current build. Just gonna wait for a rainy day to swap everything out.

Here's a question. Skewers? Kind of amazed at what the matching campy ones go for, wondering about an inexpensive alternative that'll do the trick until i deal appears on the right ones.

IMG_2729.jpg
Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 PM

Velo Orange look similar to Campagnolo at a reduced cost. This bike really deserves the last gen silver record skewers though
Old 05-02-2017, 04:28 PM

Wonderful build!