Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 04-25-2017, 04:23 PM

Alchemy Stainless Road/Gravel Disc Build

Picked up this unique, early Alchemy frame locally and spent a few months aquiring parts for the build.

Being local to Denver, I took the frame up to the Alchemy shop, where the owner Ryan estimated it to be a 2008ish custom build when they were still based in Austin. Beautifully tig welded, with mounts for fenders and disc brakes, then paired with a carbon Kona fork. A hodgepodge Sram Force/Rival group,TRP HY/RD brakes and plain-ole Alex wheels on 35mm Gravelking SKs round it out for now.

Being my first foray into disc brakes, the HY/RDs were a bit fiddly for me to get right and definitely need new pads to really bite (160mm rotors front and rear btw), but much of that can likely be chalked up to my novice experience. I did have to modify the calipers as well, as the reach on older Sram, Shim and Campy is apparently insufficient and feels mushy. Apparently some folks on the WW board are looking to get new arms made, but for now the fix works.

Stay tuned for alternate builds as I am hoping this will prove versatile enough with a couple of wheelsets to thin the herd a bit. Thinking a set of light road wheels with 28's and possible 650b if I'm feeling squirrely. Any and all feedback welcome, thanks for looking! Cheers!

Old 04-25-2017, 04:52 PM

His is the gravel bike I want. Nicely done and sharp looking. Congrats!