Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2016, 04:04 PM
bykhed

I drive over 35K a year.

This emissions situation stinks, but really, I couldn't imagine a better car (2012 Sportwagen) to do this commute in. It really is the whole package (and it does GREAT in the snow with cheap snow tires).

I feel that buybacks, should they happen, would be very generous or at full purchase price. Yeah it sounds crazy, but we're talking about a product that should have never been sold in the first place, end of story. It may be a simplistic approach, but anything is pure speculation for now.

Realistically, I'd be shopping for another car in a couple of years anyhow as I close in on 200K. If VW gives me the $$, I'm gonna take it I suppose, although I'm having a tough time figuring out a replacement; it's down to either a 6-speed Honda Fit or a Subaru Forester if I didn't stick with VW.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
I drive over 35K a year.

This emissions situation stinks, but really, I couldn't imagine a better car (2012 Sportwagen) to do this commute in. It really is the whole package (and it does GREAT in the snow with cheap snow tires).

I feel that buybacks, should they happen, would be very generous or at full purchase price. Yeah it sounds crazy, but we're talking about a product that should have never been sold in the first place, end of story. It may be a simplistic approach, but anything is pure speculation for now.

Realistically, I'd be shopping for another car in a couple of years anyhow as I close in on 200K. If VW gives me the $$, I'm gonna take it I suppose, although I'm having a tough time figuring out a replacement; it's down to either a 6-speed Honda Fit or a Subaru Forester if I didn't stick with VW.
It's interesting isn't it? I basically bought the Jetta TDi Sportwagon for its unusual combo of power, mileage and emissions. I guess when it boils down to it that was not technically possible and we should have been told "pick any two of those three things and you'll be all set."

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on one's point of view, the car that comes closest to ticking all the boxes, should the current car be taken back, is the gas powered Golf Sportwagon. On one hand I like the way the cars fit and handle and the utility of them and would be happy to spend the next 15-20 years driving it.......and on the other hand I hate giving VW any more money and rewarding them in even the smallest way.

First world problems to be sure.

dave
Old 02-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
I totally agree with you, as I bought a TDI for the whole package, MPG, low emissions and drivability.

Emissions is strike one, if changes are made to the car and impacts drivability and mpg, then that is three strikes.

This is from a loyal VW owner who recently bought a GTI.
We also have a TDI SportWagen and a GTI.

What I'd love to see is the SportWagen with the GTI's 2.0 liter turbo engine, the same 4-cylinder engine as in several other VW and Audi cars. Add to this imaginary SportWagen the GTI's handling capabilities and better creature comforts (real leather, for example, is much more comfortable than faux-leather), and that would be a fine car.

But like most of you, the difference between what was described in the JSW-TDI and what the company actually sold puts me in three strikes territory too.

Dave, who both understands how many Americans love their SUVs and doesn't understand it at all
Old 02-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Not sure if this is any sort of an indicator for the broader market, but news came out that VW is buying back the early TDI's from dealers certified pre-owned inventory, and apparently at pre-scandal pricing.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...m-cpo-dealers/
Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 AM

Ah....cars coming off lease probably. Dealers stuck with them. Dealers are VW's customers....not the car owners. Apparently.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Ah....cars coming off lease probably. Dealers stuck with them. Dealers are VW's customers....not the car owners. Apparently.
(emphasis mine)...this can't be stressed enough. Ultimately, VW will take care of its dealers first, car owners are probably a distant second.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
(emphasis mine)...this can't be stressed enough. Ultimately, VW will take care of its dealers first, car owners are probably a distant second.
Wouldn't the dealers want the owners to be taken care of? Unhappy owners will not by a VW and the dealers will not have future sales.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 AM

I imagine that the dealers are none too pleased to have been sitting on used cars that they took in trade before the scandal with no way to recoup the money invested. I know my local dealer has rented storage space to keep the cars (both used and new) so that the lot isn't full of embarrassing cars that they can't sell. I would guess this isn't cheap and that the dealer would rather VW USA pay for it.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the dealers were at the door with pitchforks wanting satisfaction. The private owners like us aren't doing well in this but the dealer is really stuck with huge amounts of cash tied up and no way out from under it.

dave
Old 02-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I imagine that the dealers are none too pleased to have been sitting on used cars that they took in trade before the scandal with no way to recoup the money invested. I know my local dealer has rented storage space to keep the cars (both used and new) so that the lot isn't full of embarrassing cars that they can't sell. I would guess this isn't cheap and that the dealer would rather VW USA pay for it.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the dealers were at the door with pitchforks wanting satisfaction. The private owners like us aren't doing well in this but the dealer is really stuck with huge amounts of cash tied up and no way out from under it.

dave
Not looking to argue but 'private owners not doing well'?? Without any plan or solution, we don't really know yet, yes? This whole gig has no effect on this private owner, at all, today. Perhaps later but not now.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not looking to argue but 'private owners not doing well'?? Without any plan or solution, we don't really know yet, yes? This whole gig has no effect on this private owner, at all, today. Perhaps later but not now.
I hear you - I meant that we have been on hold since September when this started. We won't really know where we stand until a plan is announced.

I just realized that this has been going on for about 5 months at this point.

dave
Old 02-08-2016, 12:49 PM

Dealers are getting compensated for their storage costs and maintenance of the stop sale cars. The big problem is that other than Jettas and Passats they cannot get enough GSW's and GTI's and other popular models. Their lineup stinks without the TDI's. The buyback frees up cash for the dealer but that makes this problem worse. The whole thing is a cluster that is getting annoying. Meanwhile I'm at 41k and still driving.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Dealers are getting compensated for their storage costs and maintenance of the stop sale cars. The big problem is that other than Jettas and Passats they cannot get enough GSW's and GTI's and other popular models. Their lineup stinks without the TDI's. The buyback frees up cash for the dealer but that makes this problem worse. The whole thing is a cluster that is getting annoying. Meanwhile I'm at 41k and still driving.
I've wondered if this might be the case.

If there is a buyback then I would guess many will opt for the gas powered car currently available and the demand will go from high to wicked crazy high and it would seem that they will have a very hard time meeting demand.

dave
Old 02-08-2016, 01:52 PM

I'd love a buy-back after I put another 20K or so miles on my '14 JSW. That would be perfect timing to suit my usual motor vehicle ADD.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:00 PM

Ours just rolled over 100k. I had a dream last night that I traded it in on a Honda. Sigh.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM

Mine just topped 80K and I just finally re-installed my snow tires as winter in New England finally showed up. Sadly, the fair weather tires were shot, so hopefully I can get an idea where this is going before I buy new tires and waste money fixing the right front amber blinky light down by the bottom of the bumper that has crapped the bed. The last thing I want to do is sink $1,500 into regular maintenance before they buy it back from me. If the car sticks with me, no problem sinking in the cash.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads