Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 PM

What's the general opinion of the FRS/BRZ as a drivers car? Miata is out for me because I need space for a dog as well as passenger.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
What's the general opinion of the FRS/BRZ as a drivers car? Miata is out for me because I need space for a dog as well as passenger.
A few years ago I very seriously considered getting a BRZ instead of my '73 GTV, but sentimentality won out over practicality. In retrospect, had I gotten the BRZ I would most likely be driving it a lot more than I drive the Alfa, but would also be spending less time (if any) going to club meetings, and car-related social stuff like that. I'm still don't know if I made the right decision, but these are clearly first-world types of issues that we have the luxury of considering.

Regarding the FRS/BRZ I've heard lots of very, very good things about it as "driver's car." Great handling, and generally a super-fun car to drive. One thing is that it doesn't quite have the horsepower to match the go-fast car looks, but that's only an issue if you're into drag-racing.

As I've mentioned before, if someone put a gun to my head and told me that I had to buy a car tomorrow, it would be a BRZ. Unfortunately, I only have a two-car garage, so between the Alfa, the Impreza, and the Ninja, there really isn't any room left for more four-wheeled toys.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:56 PM

911's do it for some and not for others. It is tough to justify the cost of luxury goods. If you love it and can afford it, enjoy. My '85 Carrera cost about triple whatever a similar used Japanes car cost to maintain. Oil change, filter, replacement rubber gasketa. It was worth it to me at the time.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
911's do it for some and not for others. It is tough to justify the cost of luxury goods. If you love it and can afford it, enjoy. My '85 Carrera cost about triple whatever a similar used Japanes car cost to maintain. Oil change, filter, replacement rubber gasketa. It was worth it to me at the time.
That's the most important thing. I grew up in the era in which they were introduced and wanted one as long as I can remember. I bought one a few years ago before I will look like too creepy of an old guy driving it, and I plan to sell it in a few years. I considered a new Miata or Fiat 124. Great looking, reliable, decent power, and wonderful handling.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:48 AM

Affordable car with a great sportscar feel? I bought a used Nissan 350z this summer, look no further. Ive been looking for 70s/80s or even a 964 or 993 Porsche for a very long time. Sadly they are now out of my price range as i waited to long. But the driving experience in a 350z is amazing for the cost imo. I really couldent believe it when i first drove it, had to buy it on the spot .)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Affordable car with a great sportscar feel? I bought a used Nissan 350z this summer, look no further. Ive been looking for 70s/80s or even a 964 or 993 Porsche for a very long time. Sadly they are now out of my price range as i waited to long. But the driving experience in a 350z is amazing for the cost imo. I really couldent believe it when i first drove it, had to buy it on the spot .)
I looked at a 2003 comparo test from Car and Driver from 2003--Audi TT, BMW Z4, Honda s2000, Porsche Boxster and the 350z roadster.
Winner was the the 350z, followed by the S2000--this really surprised me:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
So you are good company, I think.

Last edited by paredown; 08-14-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I had a 1966 912 about a decade ago.
I agree with what Tex said. You'd have to go over the car really well and slowly upgrade the bits that were bad. It's a used car, so it's going to come with personality. At the end of it, I felt like it was a lot of fun to drive, but it was a huge time sink. I'd probably just get something that was fun to drive at this point as I'd rather not wrench.
This may be a German car thing. I have had the same experience with my MkV GTI. There are known flaws that need to be corrected. Some were covered by warranty and others were not. Personality. I like that.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
This may be a German car thing. ... Personality. I like that.
it's definitely a german car thing.

go to a VW car show sometime, you'll see this sticker on the back of a bunch of VW's. Owners actually embrace the quirkiness of their cars.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:34 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

My daily driver is my CRX autocross car. It's got a roll cage, I've added a turbo + NOS (which I sometimes use on my commute), single seat with a 5-way harness... I do the work that doesn't require a lift, it gives me excuses to buy more tools. As much as I try not to make it, it's oddly practical. Without the passenger seat I fit a 40 gallon water heater in there, and then just closed the hatch. I kinda want something less practical, yet easier to work on and slightly more fun to drive. I was thinking of this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atom.jpg (80.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 AM

I literally cannot fit in a Miata. The 911 with the engine in the back has plenty of room. I've only driven one once and it was a blast.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:30 AM

I have a 79 SC I purchased from a friend in 1981. It's been a great car. All in all not expensive to maintain.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM

Totally agree with this. And they can be tweaked to really go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Old 08-14-2017, 09:03 AM
It An't Me Babe

Lotta nice cars out there. There is one overriding element that rates Porsche over any other marque and that is ownership of a Porsche brings entry and access to the Porsche Club of America (PCA). Which mean one can participate in events that actually allow driving the car, and, with any luck, becoming a better and more skilled driver than might currently be the case. Specifically, the ability to sign up for and drive your own car in Autocross days or Race Track weekends.

I am sure there will be blokes that already think they're pretty good drivers. I can guarantee that most that think this way have never run their car at full rip on a racetrack somewhere and have fallen off - that experience will disabuse anyone that their inner Ayrton made them a natural genius at trailing throttle oversteer to rotate the car in the hairpin at Pocono.

The larger chapters of PCA, like Metro PCA here in NY, run AutoX and Track once a month - Track season starts in April and runs through October.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I looked at a 2003 comparo test from Car and Driver from 2003--Audi TT, BMW Z4, Honda s2000, Porsche Boxster and the 350z roadster.
Winner was the the 350z, followed by the S2000--this really surprised me:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests
So you are good company, I think.
A family member had a 350z ('05 model). It was very fun to drive. At that time, I was driving an S2000 (Gen 1). 350z had much better low end torque and better power through the entire rev band. However, it definitely felt porkier than the S2000. In stock form, it weighs more and sits higher. When you hit the corners, that could be felt. So, if you're looking to auto-x or enjoy the twisties, I would go S2000. For more brute power, 350z.

I will say, given the option to get a car today, I'd just get an FT86 (or BRZ) and have a blast with it. They're more practical than a Miata or S2000, and super fun to drive. And I wouldn't worry about the "perks" of a car club. Perhaps having a car club is nice for certain discounts and network with people with same cars (BMWCCA, PSA, etc.), but anyone can sign up for track days. And auto-x is open to anyone as well.

Last edited by p nut; 08-14-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Found one for you...

Curious what this one will bring...

On a serious note, they also feature a '99 996 that is for sale on eBay for $17K.