Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 PM

Help choosing a sport tourer / gravel bike?

I'm looking for a ~56cm commuter / gravel / 1-2 night touring steel bike. I'm located in Canada. I've been browsing the Classified section and interacting with a few people to see what's out there, but I'm also curious what options I have for buying new.

Does anyone know of options for buying in the USA or Canada which will ship to Canada that supply such a bike? I've been looking at things like the SOMA Wolverine or Black Mountain Cycles. There's a supplier for Surly out here and I like the look of those, but I've heard they're grossly heavy.

What other options are there out there for similar bikes that I could order online right now?

Last edited by 8352; 05-22-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Administrator

You're in Canada!

Marinoni!!

Aside from that, there are a TON of options right now.

I'll just put this out there though: my Gunnar Sport is easily one of the best riding frames I've owned; and I've ridden a few.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Member?

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/us/Ge...e/m-22668.aspx

32's fit easily.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
Nice looking frameset. Very nice actually.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8352 View Post
I'm looking for a ~56cm commuter / gravel / 1-2 night touring steel bike. I'm located in Canada. I've been browsing the Classified section and interacting with a few people to see what's out there, but I'm also curious what options I have for buying new.

Does anyone know of options for buying in the USA or Canada which will ship to Canada that supply such a bike? I've been looking at things like the SOMA Wolverine or Black Mountain Cycles. There's a supplier for Surly out here and I like the look of those, but I've heard they're grossly heavy.

What other options are there out there for similar bikes that I could order online right now?
http://www.gunnarbikes.com
Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 AM

Serotta rapid tour is one of my favorite sport touring bikes of all time if you can find one in your size. The canti versions have a bit more tire clearance, but the rim brake models fit 32s with no issue.

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 05-23-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Serotta rapid tour is one of my favorite sport touring bikes of all time if you can find one in your size. The canti version have a bit more tire clearance, but the rim brake models fit 32s with no issue.
And one on the 'Bay as we speak:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-55cm...QAAOSw42dZHf-h
Old 05-23-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
And it's the titanium version!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Agree with Peter as is often suggested here. I've been riding Gunnars for over a dozen years now and they are a great bike at relatively speaking a great value.

I ride both a Sport and a Grand Tour and both could serve you. Obviously the Sport is a quicker lighter bike but if I strip fenders and racks off my touring bike and put on a light set wheels the Grand Tour makes an excellent gravel bike IMO.

Hard to beat.

What is your budget?

Edit: Surly's are heavy but the Black Mountain or Wolverine (both nice) are not light bikes.

Last edited by charliedid; 05-23-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Rivendell has been making/selling bikes like you want for years. I agree with the suggestion re: Gunnar bikes which are made from the same tubes by the same people as Waterfords but the standard Gunnar paint is a step down from what Waterford bikes get. I think you can pay extra to get Waterford level paint on a Gunnar but then it may not seem like such a screaming deal.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM

I know you've seen it, but just a reminder:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204777
Old 05-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Rivendell has been making/selling bikes like you want for years. I agree with the suggestion re: Gunnar bikes which are made from the same tubes by the same people as Waterfords but the standard Gunnar paint is a step down from what Waterford bikes get. I think you can pay extra to get Waterford level paint on a Gunnar but then it may not seem like such a screaming deal.
True

Budget bike, budget paint.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:37 PM

Salsa Vaya

You can find used Salsa Vayas complete for well under $1K USD. Steel, disc brakes, eyelets and bosses galore, and can take BG RnRs. Pretty ideal for the functions you listed.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I know you've seen it, but just a reminder:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204777
Very tempted. My only concern is paying 1350 Canadian for a bike before even buying parts, haha
Old 05-23-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Depends what you want to spend, but if this is a 'lifer' bike, I would get a Marinoni...they are wonderful bikes.