Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 PM

Help with value of All City Space Horse.

Not sure if I should post in classifieds, so I'm trying here.

I would like to purchase this bike for my wife. I think it's overpriced and I have my own guess what it is worth, but could anyone give me an educated guess as to a good offer price? Thanks!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/6132060124.html

Sean
Old 05-21-2017, 10:18 PM

msrp on a new, complete space horse is $1150.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 PM
Administrator

i'm thinking about half of asking price.

10 speed groups, especially 105 are pretty cheap to find, and the frame is not an expensive one in the first place.

seller is obviously in the know on bike parts and lists the wheelset very vaguely, which means it's nothing special at all.

also, sold brand new complete for 1150 and frame for 599.

sorry to the seller, but upgrade all you want, used bikes dont appreciate in value like that!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:23 PM

$800-950 with all the extras.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Seems ballpark fair based on description.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 AM

I'd just post a wtb in the classifieds for what you want and your budget. You could build one of these up brand new for less than the asking price. Used bikes depreciate rapidly and this is a common bike and build.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I'd just post a wtb in the classifieds for what you want and your budget. You could build one of these up brand new for less than the asking price. Used bikes depreciate rapidly and this is a common bike and build.
I'd suggest that someone who is asking a Forum if a used bike is priced right has no inclination or ability to build up a bike like this. It's in fact not a typical build, the stock bike is a Tiagra bike with pretty average but solid build parts for $1150.00 Retail.

If someone came in our shop and wanted to build this bike as (mostly described) as wheels are an unknown I would easily be in the $2800 range out the door, maybe more.

So sure, if you can do it all yourself great! I'm guessing not.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM

Value

I would argue that mixing retail and used prices adds to the confusion. Let's say $2800 is the new price, it's used, the frame is nice but nothing "unique", I would say the high end value range is $1400, $1000 probably a realistic sale price. The seller would do better parting the bike out. I've seen way better here for about the same money as the asking price.

My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'd suggest that someone who is asking a Forum if a used bike is priced right has no inclination or ability to build up a bike like this. It's in fact not a typical build, the stock bike is a Tiagra bike with pretty average but solid build parts for $1150.00 Retail.

If someone came in our shop and wanted to build this bike as (mostly described) as wheels are an unknown I would easily be in the $2800 range out the door, maybe more.

So sure, if you can do it all yourself great! I'm guessing not.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I would argue that mixing retail and used prices adds to the confusion. Let's say $2800 is the new price, it's used, the frame is nice but nothing "unique", I would say the high end value range is $1400, $1000 probably a realistic sale price. The seller would do better parting the bike out. I've seen way better here for about the same money as the asking price.

My 2 cents
Not a terrible argument. :-)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Modifications usually don't really add up to make something more valuable.. I own a space horse, no way I'd pay $1850 for a used one. Very little value add on the mods in this case IMO, particularly if the Dead cockpit setup ended up not suiting you.

That said the frame is a tank, it's super durable and mine has pretty much even laughed off thousands of miles of new england winter without any damage as far as I can see. Good frame, just not worth much.

The price must have come down, they used to be about $1300 new when they came out.

Controversial for me to say this but you can go buy a brand new Space Horse Disc instead and save yourself some money.

The seller in this case is not specifying the brakes and wheels.. they actually look stock. The stock wheels are bombproof beyond belief but they are super heavy. The stock brakes SUCK. You will be immediately trying to figure out a better braking solution if you buy this one and you're a powerful rider. Whereas just going and buying a new one with discs you'll save money and have better brakes right out of the box. I have spent a ton of time trying to get a really great rim brake setup on this bike, and nothing I've done has been as good as a disc one would perform. There is just something with the geometry of the non-disc version that isn't optimal for brake setup. Lots of shudder with Cantis if you use the stock hanger, and the fork is so wide you can't really dial in good brake performance if you stick a narrower rim in there. It prevented me from using two sets of rims to have one setup for faster use on road and one setup for bigger tires for mixed terrain use.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Modifications usually don't really add up to make something more valuable.. I own a space horse, no way I'd pay $1850 for a used one. Very little value add on the mods in this case IMO, particularly if the Dead cockpit setup ended up not suiting you.

That said the frame is a tank, it's super durable and mine has pretty much even laughed off thousands of miles of new england winter without any damage as far as I can see. Good frame, just not worth much.

The price must have come down, they used to be about $1300 new when they came out.

Controversial for me to say this but you can go buy a brand new Space Horse Disc instead and save yourself some money.

The seller in this case is not specifying the brakes and wheels.. they actually look stock. The stock wheels are bombproof beyond belief but they are super heavy. The stock brakes SUCK. You will be immediately trying to figure out a better braking solution if you buy this one and you're a powerful rider. Whereas just going and buying a new one with discs you'll save money and have better brakes right out of the box. I have spent a ton of time trying to get a really great rim brake setup on this bike, and nothing I've done has been as good as a disc one would perform. There is just something with the geometry of the non-disc version that isn't optimal for brake setup. Lots of shudder with Cantis if you use the stock hanger, and the fork is so wide you can't really dial in good brake performance if you stick a narrower rim in there. It prevented me from using two sets of rims to have one setup for faster use on road and one setup for bigger tires for mixed terrain use.
"I own a space horse, no way I'd pay $1850 for a used one"

Sure but that doesn't mean $1800 is not a good value to someone else.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
OK, I have to ask....why so much?

Frame = $600
105 group = $625 at Excel, so let's say $800 at a LBS
Killer wheels = $500
Misc parts (saddle, bars, stem, etc) = $500, which is probably high

Total = $2400
Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 AM

Well those of us who own the bike will have a different perspective than those who might not have even rode it.

There's nothing really on this used bike which will make it perform better than a new one that costs a lot less, that's all, and when you start pushing $2k you can buy a lot more bike that is brand new for that money.

The cranks/derailleurs don't make much difference, cockpit parts can be personal, the two mods that actually improve this bike a substantial amount would be a wheel upgrade and a really good brake setup. You can take *pounds* off this bike by putting a quality wheelset on it.

Same thing with having a shop custom build you one of these and ending up walking out the door having spent $2500-3000. You're kind of getting taken for a ride. You're going to have a $3000 bike that weighs 23lbs with a pretty pedestrian steel fork. And that's assuming you put a lot of the budget into wheels. If you spent it on derailleurs and parts like that you're going to still have a bike closer to 25lbs.

Not saying it's not a good bike, I really like mine, but you don't want to overpay for it.

Last edited by benb; 05-22-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 AM

I saw one of these up close yesterday - it's a very nice looking bike. It also sounds overpriced.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:29 AM

Hey thanks for all the thoughts.

I build up and sell bikes from frames and parts that I find used (throw in the few new parts like bar tape, cables, etc) and so I know the pricing on building up something like this from parts. Of course that depends a lot on the wheels and group. If it was built from new probably in the $2 - $3k range. But I couldn't sell it for anywhere near that.

So, the reason for asking is that I don't have time at the moment to build another bike, much less be patient to get the best prices for all the parts that I want. But more importantly, I wanted some backup when I go to him with my really low offer.

So, all the help here, objective and subjective is really appreciated!

Thanks.