Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 03:55 PM

No helmets for European cyclists

We spent two weeks on a river cruise down the Rhine from Basal, Switzerland to Amsterdam and then by bus through Brussels and finished in Paris. In total we visited about 6-7 cities. I was particularly amazed at the swam of bicycles in Amsterdam; something you won't see in the US. However, I was shocked that, among the thousands of cyclists in Amsterdam, no one wore a helmet. I saw a few more helmeted cyclists in Paris but not even close to the number of Americans who wear a helmet.

I was wondering why so few cyclists in Europe. What do you think?
Old 05-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie7 View Post
We spent two weeks on a river cruise down the Rhine from Basal, Switzerland to Amsterdam and then by bus through Brussels and finished in Paris. In total we visited about 6-7 cities. I was particularly amazed at the swam of bicycles in Amsterdam; something you won't see in the US. However, I was shocked that, among the thousands of cyclists in Amsterdam, no one wore a helmet. I saw a few more helmeted cyclists in Paris but not even close to the number of Americans who wear a helmet.

I was wondering why so few cyclists in Europe. What do you think?
I did not know I was euro.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:35 PM

Oh boy another helmet thread!

Off the top of my head-

There is no culture of fear and danger around cycling, particularly in places like Amsterdam, like has been created in the US.

When many people are cycling, it is safer for all.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Administrator

are you talking sporting cyclists on road bikes, or people cycling within the city?
Old 05-20-2017, 04:47 PM

Elsewhere in the world they have a thing called personal responsibility and they generally do not allow frivolous lawsuits.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luxurious View Post
Elsewhere in the world they have a thing called personal responsibility and they generally do not allow frivolous lawsuits.
Exactly.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:00 PM

Why they do not use helmet??? Well just to start they had been riding in the streets since they are 6 y/o and the common sense and handling skills as a rider and as a driver are a lot more developed than what you can find in the US.

The other problem is that and I want to generalize a little bit here but is not with bad intention. In the US if something is not in a manual or in a book then is out of the question even if its just plain common sense. Thats the reason at least in some areas like here for example you dont see people riding in groups but in conglomerates. eg: went out with a guy that bought a set of wheels from me, he said he had riding for the last 25 years... after the 1st light I noticed that he did not know how to ride in the street at all, you go figure...

Add those details and you have two different worlds, one where you can ride behind a pro team in training and even talk to them versus.. "why are you riding behind me?"
Old 05-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Steel..what else??

Don't worry about what other people do.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:31 PM

The Dutch and Danes do not consider themselves bicyclists per se. They ride bikes because it makes the most sense. They just get on the bike and get where they are going. They don't even think of wearing a helmet. Not many are racers or ride club rides. Something comparable to the percentage of the US does that.
It's kind of like asking Americans if they are "car People" meaning if they work on their own car and do things like hop it up or customize it.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The Dutch and Danes do not consider themselves bicyclists per se. They ride bikes because it makes the most sense. They just get on the bike and get where they are going. They don't even think of wearing a helmet. Not many are racers or ride club rides.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
When many people are cycling, it is safer for all.
And this.

Quote:
This, not so much.

When you see european 'cyclists' out in more rural areas... riding racing bikes... they're wearing helmets.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:11 PM
slower than you

I kinda wished I was wearing a helmet as a pedestrian in Amsterdam when I was there. Jeez, don't let your guard down, tourists.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Here mate:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...89556?mode=amp
Old 05-20-2017, 08:22 PM

As others have said, where the infrastructure is appropriate and the use of the bicycle as transportation widespread, helmets are not that common. Similar to how people in America wouldn't wear a helmet when walking to the shop. Little to do with 'personal responsibility,' which is more of a conservative/libertarian/neoliberal ideal, of which there is a bit less in Europe than in America.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 AM

crap. the pestilence is spreading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
Old 05-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Descent fitness

Riding in rural France a couple of years ago, my friend and I were immediately pegged as American because we wore helmets.