Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Just finished up the Surly CC and took it out for a little 40 mile grind yesterday.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM

now that's some gravel!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
now that's some gravel!

gravel of the gods
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM

yeah, you are grinding equally on the underside of the chainring, as you are on your tires there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
now that's some gravel!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post

gravel of the gods
Wasn't that a Jules Vern novel?

This is a wash area near the SRP Canal trail. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Wasn't that a Jules Vern novel?

This is a wash area near the SRP Canal trail. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
and Erich von Däniken may then say that your bike is the chariot of the gods
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM

Think about a GRB

So I'm getting the bug to add a gravel road bike. This has been a very intriguing/tempting thread. I have a Pegoretti Marcelo that I really like.
I want the bike to do a couple of things (and maybe a couple of things too many, hence my request for your input.)
I want stable Rando geometry, relaxed like I can ride it all day. I own a VO Rando frame and like how it holds a line, effortlessly. I use a front bag on my VO. Not sure if the low trail design of the VO is a must. For what I carry, a saddlebag (ala a Sackville Saddlesack could meet my needs.)
I also want to be able to tackle some gravel road rides and use the frame for commuting, activities which increasingly require the same characteristics.
When I compare specs from my VO and Peg, the biggest differences seem to be chainstay length, BB drop, fork trail, and tire clearance.

So my question is, would a frame built with the ride characteristics of a Marcelo but with a longer wheelbase, room for 40mm tires, and a lower bottom bracket be an affront to all things velo or a cool riding, versatile riding frame?

-Steve
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
the caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Back when, this made me go hmmmm:

I considered putting drop bars on my F2000 frame to race cross on it, but quickly realized that there were better options out there.

I'm getting back to my roots too. Going bombing down dirt roads in search of adventure (in my case it was looking for fish) and having a grand ole time.

M
that is STYLE. I'd like to see more of this. There's something naive/experimental about the way the whole thing looks. Fresh-as
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 PM

The problem with many touring road bike frames are that they are too noodle-like unloaded. Or to avoid that they are overbuilt and very heavy. If you search on Salsa bike's website they have an article on "bikepacking" using drop- bar rigid 29er MTBs (salsa Fargo). That would be the way I would go.

http://salsacycles.com/culture/my_fi...kepacking_trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
So I'm getting the bug to add a gravel road bike. This has been a very intriguing/tempting thread. I have a Pegoretti Marcelo that I really like.
I want the bike to do a couple of things (and maybe a couple of things too many, hence my request for your input.)
I want stable Rando geometry, relaxed like I can ride it all day. I own a VO Rando frame and like how it holds a line, effortlessly. I use a front bag on my VO. Not sure if the low trail design of the VO is a must. For what I carry, a saddlebag (ala a Sackville Saddlesack could meet my needs.)
I also want to be able to tackle some gravel road rides and use the frame for commuting, activities which increasingly require the same characteristics.
When I compare specs from my VO and Peg, the biggest differences seem to be chainstay length, BB drop, fork trail, and tire clearance.

So my question is, would a frame built with the ride characteristics of a Marcelo but with a longer wheelbase, room for 40mm tires, and a lower bottom bracket be an affront to all things velo or a cool riding, versatile riding frame?

-Steve

Last edited by Erik_A; 03-18-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 PM

I went to buy an old Italian racing frame from a retired gentleman in his 70's last year and he had this 1983/4? Ross mountain bike he had converted to a drop bar gravel grinder type bike about 25 years ago. I bought the thing from him just because it was so cool (drilled Super Record brake levers, Suntour barcons, Brooks saddle (removed prior to this pic for another bike...).

Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51mondays View Post
that is STYLE. I'd like to see more of this. There's something naive/experimental about the way the whole thing looks. Fresh-as
well, to be sure. it's a John Tomac bike. dude did hardcore MTB races on that thing in the 80's.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
The problem with many touring road bike frames are that they are too noodle-like unloaded. Or to avoid that they are overbuilt and very heavy. If you search on Salsa bike's website they have an article on "bikepacking" using drop- bar rigid 29er MTBs (salsa Fargo). That would be the way I would go.

http://salsacycles.com/culture/my_fi...kepacking_trip
I am looking forward to adventures on my Fargo this summer.

I have been riding it all winter here in Minnesota and this thing is a hoot.

Mine will be set up pretty much the same way with Revelate bags.

Fun stuff!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post

-Steve
Something like that would work great on gravel roads. Have to look at local conditions and personal needs for parts choices. I ride about 3-4 k per year on gravel roads and B's which, here, are un-maintained gravel roads, often impassable in winter/spring/rain. All I use is a basic off the shelf cx with more bb drop than common for a bike like this. 28 Gatorskins for 90% of the time to keep handling skills sharp. Cheap stiff cx tires for the rest since when it's that bad out survival and no flats gets real important. Basic parts for the build since a slurry of mud, rain, sand, gravel dust, and ice tends to chew up parts pretty quick. BB and hub bearings every year, chain every k, brifters after 3 years. Don't agonize over parts choices, just don't put on parts you cherish or can't easily afford to replace, sometimes often. Hint: old 9 speed parts lying around are great, chains are cheaper too.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Administrator

SoulCraft Dirtbomb!

William
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Back At It!

dude, Soulcrafts are so rad!