Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Huh? Nope, didn't say that.
So then what are you asking? This kind of vaguebooking is no help when asking for an opinion about a situation.

You imply its a part or parts you have, sat for a number of years, and failed soon after installing using them (lightly) but after the warranty's expiration period.

Campy has a warranty they'll honor for a set period of time, but once you're outside the time limit they don't owe you anything.

If I installed a NOS Nuovo Record group and it craps out in 500 miles, do I get to send the parts back and demand satisfaction? God no.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
If you give me more details, I can talk to Campagnolo for you. Up to you. I don't mind either way. But like I said, many time it won't push companies to help if you reach out yourself.
veggieburger, you should definitely go this route first, if sales guy feels that the issue is worth pursuing.

Campa NA customer service aren't exactly the friendliest kids on the block, in my experience. I suspect that they are far more helpful to people in the industry, like sales guy, oldpotatoe, etc.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Vendor

The customer I was speaking to today used to make custom motorcycles. He commented how back in the day it was customer to dealer to manufacturer. Nowadays, it's customer to manufacturer cause they threaten bad reviews and whatnot.

For some companies, they really want it to go thru the dealer since they have a better handle on if their part was abused, damaged, JRA or what.

I had a dad one time come in with his kid and insist that the saddle rails just bent. I was like, ummm...no. Not like this. He kept getting more and more pissed. I told him, the ONLY way it would happen is if your kid landed on it when jumping or going off curbs.

The dad was super pissed and insisted his kid never did that. I told him to head up to the take off bin and get another saddle while I removed the old one.

While he was gone, I asked he kid who was maybe 10 who was watching me, I said, jumping or curbs? He said both but the curbs did it.

When the dad came back I let him know what his kid said and the look on his face was priceless! I felt awesome as I was right and knew it. But I gave him the saddle anyways as it was a take off. I told him if it happened again I would not give him a replacement for free.

As he left the store he was yelling at his kid for embarrassing him.

Long story there, but, manufacturers dont mind helping if things are done right and dealers are involved AND there isn't a reason for them to say no.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:44 PM
It An't Me Babe

veggieburger, you might stop being so coy and just spell out what your situation is. The reason you are getting pushback and a variety of answers is this thread is either a business question thread or a consumer support/entitlement thread. So what's it gonna be?

Paceliner sales guy offered you help. Very generous of him. Bravo.

Decide what you wanna do and get on with it. You're also open to create as much drama on this as you like but it doesn't make you look very good - melodramatic reality TV done up in a bike forum. Empty script.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 PM

I would pay a premium for a "hide this thread" button.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
veggieburger, you might stop being so coy and just spell out what your situation is. The reason you are getting pushback and a variety of answers is this thread is either a business question thread or a consumer support/entitlement thread. So what's it gonna be?

Decide what you wanna do and get on with it. You're also open to create as much drama on this as you like but it doesn't make you look very good - melodramatic reality TV done up in a bike forum. Empty script.

Personally it's no skin off my back if he doesn't ask for help from me or whoever else.

I am on the forum a bunch since I can't ride. And I could answer a ton more questions but I don't for many reasons. But when things like this pop up, and I can possibly help and again 'nudge' a friend or a relationship I have into helping a bit, i'm down with commenting.

I don't mind either way. I am of course curious what the part is and all like everyone else is. But like I said it's a whatever. I was just giving advice more than anything.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljlloyd View Post
i would pay a premium for a "hide this thread" button.
lol!!!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:07 PM

I've felt your urge.

I bought a Blackburn light from Competitive Cyclist. I used it 3 or 4 times and put it away for the season. The next season I pulled it out and boom, it doesn't work. At this point it's been over a year and is technically out of warranty. Blackburn isn't helpful and frankly unapologetic.

These days, I stare at that light in my bin of sadness every year. I'm too lazy to properly dispose of its battery so it sits around. I keep thinking I'll just send it back to them. I don't care that it will cost me $10 in postage and my time. Just the sense of retribution would be enough. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:07 PM

My guess is the little jewel fell out of his Cobalto brakes.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Riding Along

If the part was defective from the time it left the factory then it would have shown up after purchase, if it was used. That is what the warranty is for. You would have been covered and a new part would have been sent to you. How can you expect any company to factor in users shelving new parts for years? If you buy something and don't use it, it is unreasonable to expect anything outside the warranty period. Warranties are given with the expectation that the part will be used and thus covered by the terms of the warranty while it lasts. Your anger is fully misplaced since you decided to let the warranty period lapse without using the product. Campy would have covered you if you had used it after purchase. I am sorry to say that this one is one you. Let it go, sometimes we win sometimes we lose, life is to short to sweat stuff like this. --->

Last edited by Black Dog; 05-23-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Authorized dealer, full retail price.

But since you mentioned it...You think an item bought from the UK is outside of normal sales channels? Just because it is less expensive than retail you think a defective part is acceptable? Please explain.
Second, gray market, back door deal..BUT what are the specifics? You imply a wheelset..from UK, US dealer? Call Campag NA, communication is the key, on a few levels.

But sending it back to Campag, Italy, even with lots of Italian explanation will yield you nada.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-23-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
veggieburger, you should definitely go this route first, if sales guy feels that the issue is worth pursuing.

Campa NA customer service aren't exactly the friendliest kids on the block, in my experience. I suspect that they are far more helpful to people in the industry, like sales guy, oldpotatoe, etc.
Since you mentioned me, I have only had great experiences with Campag, NA, Jerry, both Dans, even Tom Kattus..

BUT for the OP, call Campagnolo NA, talk to Jerry, he's the one answering the phone, explain exactly what's going on.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Just sending it back to whoever may not do much but to infuriate you more.

I had someone who has a Busch-Muller light kit and he's pissed cause it broke. Nothing I sold him mind you. But I told him I would help him if he'd like. He told me the US importer won't.

Many times, customers calling up directly doesn't do much. Companies may not care or actually find you a PITA. I don't mind helping when someone has an issue cause I've been in this now 32 years. I know a ton of people and have a great relationship with them and don't mind nudging them a bit for help when possible.

I do agree if something sits for a bit it shouldn't just break. BUT, if it's something that time, heat or other natural factors could cause wear to, then that's not surprising.

If you give me more details, I can talk to Campagnolo for you. Up to you. I don't mind either way. But like I said, many time it won't push companies to help if you reach out yourself.
Thanks sales guy. I'm not infuriated, btw. I will still ride Campagnolo and heap praises on them to those who ask. I will PM you though and let you know the situation, you can let me know what you think. Thanks so much!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

I really don't understand this. I'm not trying to create any drama whatsoever. Sorry if the OP was vague, but I had a little one in one hand and had to make it quick. If I was coy, I apologize. I'll walk away from this thread...a little puzzled.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 AM

In my experience, Campagnolo has the best warranty in the industry....That is in well over 300,000 miles of cycling-the vast majority of it on Campagnolo components- I have NEVER had occasion for a warranty claim on any of the DOZENS of components that I have used. Furthermore, other than cogs, chains, and easily replaceable ergopower internals I have not even been able to wear any Campgnolo product out.
Closed Thread