Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 11:23 AM

BTW for anyone running canti's, want to get rid of the bow effect and shudder from cable hangers coming off headset or stem? Get a fork mounted hanger. It becomes part and parcel of the fork and helps eliminate shudder.

The cable hanger in this photo is the main culprit of brake shudder, it's like a guitar string when you apply the brakes, the harder you apply the brake the higher the vibration between the length of cable to the brakes and increasing the likelihood of squeal/shudder.

Fork mounted hanger shortens the cable dramatically and in effect becomes part of the fork to creates a stable mounting platform and helping to eliminate the bow or guitar twang effect. This also allows you to have pads better aligned for solid stopping instead of steep pad toe ins because of embarrassing squeals.

Last edited by bobswire; 05-22-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Shorty Ultimates. I have a set of Paul's I keep meaning to install but sadly other things keep keeping me busy.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 AM

If you built a new gravel bike--would you choose rim over disc??

These responses are very helpful. I'm going to build a new gravel bike and trying to decide rim vs disc. I won't be riding in rain or mud (i've done enough of that for two life-times). I'm just trying to decide if the additional cost and complexity of disc is worth it. Looks like there are many great options for rim brakes.

So, If you built a new gravel bike--would you choose rim over disc??
Old 06-30-2017, 08:06 AM

I'm the sole straggler in my group not jumping to disc. I ride all gravel these days and don't see the need but that's me. Maybe I'm just trying to be a holdout renegade. (Never had fb either

That's a mr pink w 35's and br-r600 brakes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2306.jpg (81.4 KB, 258 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
These responses are very helpful. I'm going to build a new gravel bike and trying to decide rim vs disc. I won't be riding in rain or mud (i've done enough of that for two life-times). I'm just trying to decide if the additional cost and complexity of disc is worth it. Looks like there are many great options for rim brakes.

So, If you built a new gravel bike--would you choose rim over disc??
Won't be riding my gravel bike in the rainy months either. Would have been quite happy with a nice rim-brake setup if I had found a steel production frame that fit me, so had to go disk.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:40 PM

i recently bought a BMC Monster Cross and one of the many factors was disc over canti. what made me go canti was simple, i already have a workshop full of rim-brake wheels, canti brakes, and mechanical levers.

if i was going to buy a full bike, or if i was going to buy a frame then buy the wheels, drivetrain, etc, i would have gone disc. why? because that's the way all bikes are going, replacement parts and upgrades will be more readily available in the future.

but i have no problem with a good set of cantis. i used Tektro CR720s, which are dirt cheap (like $40 for F&R) and have great reviews. i have no complaints with them. the mechanics of the wide arms mean the pads have good clearance from the rim for debris and i have zero shudder even without a fork-mounted stopper.

i'm currently building up a 2nd gravel grinder and i have Oryx brakes on at the moment, but i'm not crazy about them (never have been). i've considered going with the TRP CX8.4s, but god i just don't know if they are going to be worth over 2x the price of the CR720s

p.s. if you are worried about the stopping power of cantis, just get good pads and read up on Sheldon Brown's article about how to set them up right!

Old 07-09-2017, 11:13 AM

Thank you Owly and tim.bikeparty
Yeah, we are in the same world. I have very nice rim brake wheelsets and see little benefit of going disc other than -- that's they way that the industry is going. I'm purchasing a custom frame and I want the set up every bit as nice as my Chorus equipped road bike. The information provided in this entry provides me with great info on non-disc options. I will sit down with a calculator to see what cost the bicycle industry is pushing on me.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
Thank you Owly and tim.bikeparty
Yeah, we are in the same world. I have very nice rim brake wheelsets and see little benefit of going disc other than -- that's they way that the industry is going. I'm purchasing a custom frame and I want the set up every bit as nice as my Chorus equipped road bike. The information provided in this entry provides me with great info on non-disc options. I will sit down with a calculator to see what cost the bicycle industry is pushing on me.
just saw the thread....I got a custom bike last year, and my choice was to use Paul minimoto's instead of going disc. I travel with the bike from time to time, liked the Pauls for compactness, lightness and familiarity. I like my rim brake wheel sets too. So far this has been a very happy choice.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM

Compass centerpulls on studs on custom steel frame w fat 650's
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
Paul Minimoto's. What a great brake.
1+ this big time, if its a canti frame. VO makes a good looking brakeset too, GranCru.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:51 PM

Building a new gravel bike? Disc all the way.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Building a new gravel bike? Disc all the way.
That's what I would do, too.

But since starting from scratch (this last time around, anyway) wasn't an option for me, I've been very happy with my Shorty Ultimates...

SPP
Old 07-10-2017, 07:41 AM

TRP RevoX canti brakes (carbon fiber arms) came on a bike I recently acquired. My first canti bike, the brakes work very well.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Administrator

i have been logging some major miles this spring/summer on my bike equipped with paul cantis and have not been wanting for more stopping power or modulation or whatever. this has including some very fast 50+ mph descending. used it to do a few gaps in VT a couple weeks ago, and some hilly riding up at the NJ/PA border this past weekend. lots of brake use, and doing just fine without discs here personally.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:03 AM

not sure if this is the appropriate thread (don't want to add to more clutter),
but what would you guys suggest I upgrade to on my mb3? I have cantis and would like better stopping power. riding flat bars, will not be using fenders, using brake levers. I'm riding shimano deore if that matters and don't deal with mud. Currently on 1.5 x 26 in tires. Looking to upgrade to V brakes (are mini's even an option?)

Tags
gravel brakes