Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Tomii Canvas again

When this first went up, there was some griping about the stated max tire clearance of 25c. This build on Radavist definitely shows a 28 on there. Anyone have one of these?

http://theradavist.com/2017/10/tomii...-all-day-road/
Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
When this first went up, there was some griping about the stated max tire clearance of 25c. This build on Radavist definitely shows a 28 on there. Anyone have one of these?

All day bike, long distances but no fender eyelets?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post

I really like that small r. rack. I'd like something like that for my BMC MonsterCross.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
All day bike, long distances but no fender eyelets?
Hey, he lives in Texas.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Imshi Cycles

on fenders...

pros
keep your feet and ass dry...ish

cons
annoying to install
constantly rattling over rough terrain
trap debris
increase toe overlap
add weight
impossible to clean without removing from bike

if its truly wet/raining, you are screwed without proper rain gear for your body and feet, with or without fenders.

i used to commute with fenders every day, until i realized this above truth and just invested in good waterproof shoes/shoe covers, pants, and jacket.

sure, fenders can temper a little spray off the ground if its wet-but-not-raining but yea i dunno...a little spray is a small price to pay for not having fenders on your bike.

-----

tire clearance...

an enve fork can fit a 28
stating a max size of 25 covers nao's ass should one of you decide to stick a 25c tire on a 25mm+ wide rim (which would likely measure closer to 27/28...)
so yea, i would wager you could fit "28's" in there but like ANY clearance situation, its heavily dependent on rim/tire combo

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 10-03-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM

I super hate everything about fenders... Ass saver pop ons are enough for anything I care about riding in. Staying dry for any length of time in the rain while exercising is a myth. In nice rain gear I just make my own little bio climate and it turns into the amazon inside my jacket anyway.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
on fenders...

pros
keep your feet and ass dry...ish

cons
annoying to install
constantly rattling over rough terrain
trap debris
increase toe overlap
add weight
impossible to clean without removing from bike

if its truly wet/raining, you are screwed without proper rain gear for your body and feet, with or without fenders.

i used to commute with fenders every day, until i realized this above truth and just invested in good waterproof shoes/shoe covers, pants, and jacket.

sure, fenders can temper a little spray off the ground if its wet-but-not-raining but yea i dunno...a little spray is a small price to pay for not having fenders on your bike.

-----

tire clearance...

an enve fork can fit a 28
stating a max size of 25 covers nao's ass should one of you decide to stick a 25c tire on a 25mm+ wide rim (which would likely measure closer to 27/28...)
so yea, i would wager you could fit "28's" in there but like ANY clearance situation, its heavily dependent on rim/tire combo
with fenders and proper mudflaps you can stay 90% dryer. I do agree that without proper gear you will still get wet but it will take longer and it will be less miserable. Fenders also help you keep your drivetrain much clear, they really work well for that.

The fact is, he should have put fender mounts on it. I am sorry, I know he is your friend and he makes incredible bikes but a bike like this would have been 10x cooler with a whisky road plus fork, room for 32mm tires or 28mm with fenders. The fork has fender mounts.

Still a cool bike and I love all thing tommii but it just could have been that much better
Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Ask anyone in the PNW who rides year round and they will say that fenders are essential.

I don't do organized group rides but from what I have heard, fenders are mandatory on winter rides. If you don't have them, you cant go. It's that wet here and fenders make that much of a difference.

I used cheap SKS ones and I have Honjos on my commuter - the SKSs are definitely lower maintenance and simpler. Honjos just look cool.

I love fenders, personally...
Old 10-03-2017, 11:57 AM

nice bike! although i don't see many uses for the small rear rack.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
with fenders and proper mudflaps you can stay 90% dryer. I do agree that without proper gear you will still get wet but it will take longer and it will be less miserable. Fenders also help you keep your drivetrain much clear, they really work well for that.

The fact is, he should have put fender mounts on it. I am sorry, I know he is your friend and he makes incredible bikes but a bike like this would have been 10x cooler with a whisky road plus fork, room for 32mm tires or 28mm with fenders. The fork has fender mounts.

Still a cool bike and I love all thing tommii but it just could have been that much better
In regards to fenders keeping things cleaner, I would argue that they actually catch and redirect spray/grit down onto your bike instead of allowing the spray to escape back out into the world.
I could of course be imagining this but in my mind it makes as much sense as fenders keeping a drivetrain clean

I agree that spec'ing a whisky fork would have been smart and that fender mounts would have been an easy add-on...perhaps if enough people are willing to put their money where their mouth is and email nao, he would be willing to make a batch of frames with exactly that spec.

i think his idea for the canvas was to make a road frame with a little more functionality for carrying a few more essentials out to a swimming hole, and back...not much more.

also, if i had to use mid or long reach brakes on that frame to accomodate bigger tires...i would be unhappy...most brakes of that ilk suck, hard.
if you wanna ride 32's, just get a "gravel" bike with disc brakes and such. a bike that like has the ability to combine 2/3 bikes into one, if designed correctly.

just my 2c.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:06 PM

If you want a Tomii with fender mounts, I'm sure he would happily build you one.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
also, if i had to use mid or long reach brakes on that frame to accomodate bigger tires...i would be unhappy...most brakes of that ilk suck, hard.
if you wanna ride 32's, just get a "gravel" bike with disc brakes and such. a bike that like has the ability to combine 2/3 bikes into one, if designed correctly.

just my 2c.
Interesting. That's not my experience. I assume you're referring to sidepulls so I'll just say that my experience with Tektro R559s and Shimano R650s have been excellent. I have lots of friends who use the Velo Orange long reach calipers and all have high praise. You can't get more than two cyclists to agree on any matter it seems, though; especially brakes.

And, yes, it's a fair point to say that Tomii can and should do what he wants. I'm sure if people with their wallets out want fender mounts and a Whisky fork he'll make it happen.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Interesting. That's not my experience. I assume you're referring to sidepulls so I'll just say that my experience with Tektro R559s and Shimano R650s have been excellent. I have lots of friends who use the Velo Orange long reach calipers and all have high praise. You can't get more than two cyclists to agree on any matter it seems, though; especially brakes.

And, yes, it's a fair point to say that Tomii can and should do what he wants. I'm sure if people with their wallets out want fender mounts and a Whisky fork he'll make it happen.
Ok, ill admit im basing that statement on my experience with some tektro long reach side-pulls that im sure have been updated and improved since i rode em...but yea, they sucked. the mid-reach paul racers i replaced em with were EXCELLENT, but required hangers...which is what it is but certainly would change the character of what is supposed to be a "road bike."

And yes, I can say with a great deal of certainty that if 5-10 people got together deposits/whatever and contacted Nao to build a run of whisky forked/fender mount canvas's, he would be more than happy to oblige.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Administrator

i would love a bike spec'd just the way this one is.

i ride a very small frame size, and that rear rack would be perfect to keep a carradice typed bag out of the rear wheel when i decide to run one for credit card typed touring.

i dont ride much (intentionally) in the rain, but when i do, i have a rain bike or use a clip on rear fender, so dedicated fender mounts are a non issue for me on a bike like this. additionally, i do have a few bikes with mid reach calipers, and think they work just great (VO brakes and TRP...), but record short reach brakes, do, in fact - work better.

i would definitely ride one!
Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

the VO gran cru brakes are excellent. As good as any campy brake I have used. I love that rack too, would have been real cool to have on my hampsten.

I would glady get him to build me a bike, if only I had the space and cash. Def one of my favorite "new" builders