Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2017, 11:58 AM

Boyd vs FLO wheels

For no real rational reason, I am thinking of getting a new pair of wheels. My nearly 5 year old Joe Young wheels are perfectly fine but I seem to have that new equipment itch. I don't want to spend 3k+ for Zipp/Enve etc wheels but have seen really nice reviews for Boyd and FLO carbon wheels.

I have done some searching but come to no real conclusion so I figured I would solicit opinions here. These would be clincher wheels and in the 44-45mm rim depth. I don't race but do value ride quality over speed. I don't really want this to break down into an aluminum v carbon debate. Just would like to know if anyone has experience with these brands or if there are other options I am missing. The Boyd/FLO wheels sell for around $1500-1600 range with their standard hubs. White Industries T11 hubs add about $300 on the Boyds.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 09-30-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:00 PM

I'm local to Boyd. As a result, I get to see and hear about A LOT of his wheels. I have several friends that have ridden his wheels for many years. VERY few have had any issues and these are guys that ride a ton of miles and are not easy on things. The current generation of carbon rims and his new hubs are very nice. I recently purchased a set of wheels for my gravel bike from them and I have no complaints.

As a sorta tri dork, I've also looked into FLO wheels. I think they are also building good wheels.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either to be honest. I will say that I know if you ever need support/advice/etc Boyd and his folks will take care of you. I have no direct knowledge of FLO's customer service.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
For no real rational reason, I am thinking of getting a new pair of wheels. My nearly 5 year old Joe Young wheels are perfectly fine but I seem to have that new equipment itch. I don't want to spend 3k+ for Zipp/Enve etc wheels but have seen really nice reviews for Boyd and FLO carbon wheels.

I have done some searching but come to no real conclusion so I figured I would solicit opinions here. These would be clincher wheels and in the 44-45mm rim depth. I don't race but do value ride quality over speed. I don't really want this to break down into an aluminum v carbon debate. Just would like to know if anyone has experience with these brands or if there are other options I am missing. The Boyd/FLO wheels sell for around $1500-1600 range with their standard hubs. White Industries T11 hubs add about $300 on the Boyds.

Tim
I don't have experience with the FLO wheels, however I have two sets of Boyd wheels, Altamont and Altamont lite clinchers, and running Altamont lites on a custom wheelset. Boyd has EXCELLENT customer services. He will contact you personally with any questions or issues you may have with his product. Regarding the hubs. His brand hubs are going on 3 years of riding in dirt, mud, and gravel and still spin smoothly,like new! I have three sets of WI hubs, XMR, CLD, and T11's ALL three hubs had to be rebuilt within a year with new bearing in the freehub area due to its design. I would not recommend these hubs for wet conditions based on my experience. I think the brand hubs are a better choice if one plans on riding in wet conditions.

Last edited by Tony; 09-30-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:28 PM

I hate the new equipment itch. I have to fight it more often that I want to admit. Maybe I need to start using more Gold Bond powder...
Old 09-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Why not the newest version of Mavic Cosmic Pro? 45mm depth, wider, new rear hub, under $1k from Merlin Cycles...
Old 09-30-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Why not the newest version of Mavic Cosmic Pro? 45mm depth, wider, new rear hub, under $1k from Merlin Cycles...
I need them to fit Campagnolo. And, wheels are one item I won’t order from an overseas dealer. To much hassle if they get damaged in shipping or require warranty work. Also, I’m not thrilled with Mavic’s use of proprietary spokes.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 09-30-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 PM

I’ve also seen the Reynolds Assault SLGs, the 2017 version, for around the same price. They have a lifetime warranty and are certainly more of a known brand.

https://www.mybikeshop.com/products/...yABEgIhcvD_BwE

Tim
Old 09-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Because they are Mavics.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:03 PM

I'm here to represent the HED bandwagon. Try the Jet+. Life changing. The ride quality is there, so is the aero, so is the braking.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
I'm here to represent the HED bandwagon. Try the Jet+. Life changing. The ride quality is there, so is the aero, so is the braking.
I've never owned or used any Boyd's or FLO's. I have a couple of different carbon hoops Easton and Mercury. IMO, the speed/feel of the wheels are very similar -- though the Eastons come in at around 1250 grams and do accelerate better. And they are 38 mm tubular. Mercurys are clincher. The critical part, to me, is the braking. Ya GOTTA be able to stop.

The Eastons were VERY good when new, but now the brake track is a bit worn down and takes more squeeze to stop. The Mercury's, however, have over 5,000 miles on them and still stop like new. The Mercury's are 55 mm depth and use regular J-bend, external nipple Sapim spokes built on Novatec hubs. No Complaints from me in two years of service. They come in around 1600 grams for the set and are tubeless compatible.

Make sure the ones you choose brake well.

Mike in AR
Old 10-01-2017, 04:35 AM

I have ~2500 miles on a set of Boyd's clincher 44 carbon disc wheels with White hubs.
Those miles have included: all types of weather, up hills, down hills, very fast group rides, easy spins, smooth road, very rough dirt roads, etc, etc.

The wheels are very well built. They have needed zero attention. Still as straight and true as the day they came out of the box.

The rims are well designed and constructed. Boyd designs them, owns the mold, and has them made overseas (like just about everyone). The overall quality is very high.

I ran them with tubes for a while and have been running them tubeless for the last ~1000 miles. Boyd has been a big supporter of tubeless over the years and it shows in the way he designs the rims. If tubeless isn't your thing, just run them with tubes.

I can not comment on braking performance of the rim because I am running discs. The disc version of this wheel do not have a brake track which means they are not just repurposed rims but specific disc rims.

And as mentioned above, the customer service is top notch. They do get busy but always return emails/calls.

Would definitely buy again....well, I did buy another Boyd set but they are the Altamontes which are not the type of wheel the OP asked about.

BTW - the new Mavic wheels are also exceptional. I own a set of the low profile (OP is asking about deeper rims) and they have been fantastic as well.

The good news is that there are several great wheel options.
The tough part is deciding which ones to go with. You could always buy used, try a few, sell what you don't want and keep what you do...
Old 10-01-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
I will say that I know if you ever need support/advice/etc Boyd and his folks will take care of you.
And Boyd is always there across the hall. That counts for a lot.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post

Tim
Get tubulars, either maker(if they make them)..it will satisfy your 'itch', it will give ride quality like never before and won't be just replacing something you have with something that works and feels the same as the the Young wheels(carbon?)..

If new to carbon, get tubies..step up!!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:19 AM

got a good deal on an Emonda slr on ebay and the owner had upgraded to Flo 45 carbon clinchers. They are a well made wheel, very strong. I'm 230 and they have remained perfect and true after a few hundred miles. Their proprietary brake pads are VERY good. Stopping power is as good or better than regular aluminum wheels. They do ride a little stiff but that might be tire selection more than anything. They do feel marginally faster and able to hold speed better when up over 23-24 mph, but I'm only hitting that downhill, don't race anymore.

I would go with old potatoe's recommendation to just get tubies...that will be my next wheel. He built me some deep V velocity rims, campy hubs and I put veloflex corsa clinchers on and they ride very well. For comparison, I'm under severe time constraints due to caring for my wife, so I ride the same course daily or every other day.....my average speed on Flo's were just a hair slower than on Pete's wheels. Petes wheels were faster.

Now I know their are many variables that go into this but honestly, you want to spend the money on carbon's go ahead, but I do think they are a bit over rated. But, like I said if you are racing crits, etc. then I'd probably go with the FLO's due to their ability to hold high speed better.
Good luck.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 AM

I've got about 1,000 miles on a set of Boyd's 28mm carbon clinchers. Honestly, I can't notice any difference in braking performance compared to alloy rims. I bought my wheels last fall during Boyd's Black Friday sale when he offered WI hubs at no extra cost.

The wheels look great and ride that way, too. They spin up quickly and the ride is very comfortable.

I'd get another set, without any reservations.

-Steve

Last edited by sjbraun; 10-01-2017 at 03:13 PM.