Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 07:10 PM

OT - Career Change

Hi everyone,

I'm an occasional poster, almost daily reader/lurker. I'm considering a career change and thought I'd throw this out here on the forum. There are many smart people and accomplished professionals here, maybe some of you will have some insight.

Basically I'm considering a career change that is in actuality a career beginning. I'm growing up finally and want a substantial career. Primarily for the income, but also for the lifestyle benefits, growth opportunities, sense of fulfillment(?). I have a degree in English Lit. that is 12 years old at this point. I have worked for most of my adult life here in the Bay Area for a natural foods distributor as a route driver and merchandiser. I took a few years away from that company to work as a bike mechanic, which was great but left me more broke than when I started.

So here I am. I'm married, my wife wants to move and buy a house someday, have kids someday. And I want those things too. So... some folks have suggested to me accounting as a career change. It seems doable and in demand and reasonably well compensating. And there are online schools I can get degrees in, from certificates on up.

So, any personal experience on the forum with accounting, online schools, or career changes in general?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 PM

i'd do a search first- this is a frequent (every other month or so) query around here...
Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 PM

Fair enough. Will do.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 PM

I did a similar thing. Now 40, I just started a new career. I had a dead end job that was decent pay but terribly boring. It did however support my race habit and allowed time for international racing for a few years when I got to that level.

Anyways, I had a kid and had to get a better job with growth potential so did an online engineering degree that took me 3 years. It's paid off huge. I got a great job before I even graduated and am much more content intellectually and have lots of growth potential as well. It was a bit weird at first being a lot older than the others I started with but that has turned out to not be an issue at all.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM

I applaud your thinking about this subject. It's never too late to do something different. Although I am retired, I am aware that our world is changing fast, and we have to change with it. Careers that just a few years ago seemed like a sure forever thing, now don't look so great in the future. The accountants I know struggle (and compete for business) just like everyone else.....and some do well. But times are changing for them also.

Since you already have a degree, and have proved that you have the ability to succeed in school....I would think you can retrain yourself in anything you wished. Not everyone who says...."I'll just go back to school" etc....actually can/will do it.

Have you considered talking with a career counselor where you got your degree, or at a local college, community college, etc.....about what careers they are placing their graduates? (if the USA gets rebuilt...we'll need more Civil Engineers as an example) I know a guy who was in your situation, with your scholastic abilities, who became a RN, and now has a good secure job in a local hospital group. With opportunity for more paid for education and advancement in their system. Don't give up.....get on with this. Good luck.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 PM

career counselor

If you're gonna work 40 hours a week for the next 30 years you ought to get a handle on what you're good at, want to be good at, and what you might enjoy in addition to money...and a whole bunch of other important variables. You could spend a lotta time and money on becoming an accountant and hate that sh*t forever. Research the market, research yourself, then decide.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:05 PM

Im not sure how old you are or what you value in a job.

That being said I would recommend two things.

1. Sell your soul and work for a tech company--Youll make a lot of money.

2. Take up a trade and join a union. Hard work--youll be taken care of and good benefits.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
1. Sell your soul and work for a tech company--Youll make a lot of money.
huh, how did tech get the bad rap that finance held for so long?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
If you're gonna work 40 hours a week for the next 30 years you ought to get a handle on what you're good at, want to be good at, and what you might enjoy in addition to money...and a whole bunch of other important variables. You could spend a lotta time and money on becoming an accountant and hate that sh*t forever. Research the market, research yourself, then decide.
Agreed. Don't do something because it will allow you to buy more things.

What made you think accounting could be a good option, other than money?

Last edited by fa63; 08-22-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
huh, how did tech get the bad rap that finance held for so long?
Tech is the west coast finance.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Hi Nash,

I'm also an English Lit graduate, and I toiled working in the culinary business for almost ten years before getting some momentum on a career move. I went back to college and did a post-graduate certificate in public administration, now I work in government communications working on amateur sport and tourism here in Ontario. I love it.

Some of these changes take work, or professional contacts, or serendipity, or a mixture of it all. Government work isn't for everyone, but I value it for its good pay/benefits/pension, stability, inclusive workplace, flexible work plans, etc. It happens to work for me.

I'd echo what others have said - look inwards and figure out what you want out of a job and what it takes to get there. I never had much luck with career counsellors personally, but many have. All it takes is the right person or the right nugget of info to get you on the right path.

Good luck :-)

KJ
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM

what are your talents? Accounting takes certain discipline (my wife is CPA) that I certainly can't do. I can't stay on topic for more than 15 min, but I continually think outside the box for my organization and can solve the weird problems.

Since you have knowledge of the health food world, can you look at more corporate type opportunities in say their supply chain? Knowing how product gets to the end sounds probably no brainer for you, but in corporate office they just don't have that boots on the ground knowledge.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

My Father's advice on jobs/work was this: "They call it work and not fun for a reason. A job is about supporting your family and your hobbies."

He was wildly successful and extremely talented but admitted to me late in life that his job bored him. When I asked why he did it, the above was his reply.

I have a cousin who changes jobs every few years because he doesn't feel satisfied by the work. My Father tried to advice him to find satisfaction outside of work...

It's not easy to find something you love to do that also pays "well".
Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 PM

I am an accountant and CPA.

I started off in engineering but was no where near as good as the folks I was going to school with. So, I changed majors to something I liked better and was good at. No regrets.

Accounting is hard and boring, so if you are ok with that, it can be rewarding. It was for me.

So, good luck and best wishes in what you do.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 PM

It's never too late to make changes for yourself! My parents were fond of saying, "If you can find a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life."

Remember to enjoy the adventure on your way.

Last edited by dustyrider; 09-21-2017 at 10:48 PM.