Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2017, 09:26 PM

In related news, drive guards are on national back order for a few weeks.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:07 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
going to test drive an AWD sienna today.
my buddy has one and the run-flat thing was his biggest complaint.

is there a spare tire kit somewhere?
does anyone store skis inside in the winter? roof box would be up higher than my v70 roof.
thanks
Toyota offers a spare tire (for the FWD models). You’d have to just throw it in the back. Hope that won’t eat up too much room.

We ended up buying an AWD Sienna. Run flats ride nice enough. Plus we’ve got roadside with Toyota and my insurance. Once the runflats are done, I’m just going with regular tires then will throw in a plug kit and pump in the back for road trips. 95% of usage is just around town. And again, knock on wood, it’s been a while since I’ve had a flat (15 years).

We love the van. Rides great. All sorts of safety features. Big TV. Loads of room. And installed a hitch for my bike rack. Road trip machine.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 PM

The sienna doesnt have a spare tire? interesting and funny at the same time. Well some chryslers minivans have the spare tire under at the front pretty much between the 2 front seats, you have a puncture and you cant get the tire out anyways, but the vehicle has it tho.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:36 PM

Who needs run flats when you can use race slicks :)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/t...s-performance/

I was talking to the Toyota Chief Engineer that did this van and he said it was super fast and that they did it all with handling and lightweighting....

Beating a Camaro SS around Willow Springs is no easy feat.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:53 PM

Glad you like the Sienna.

BTW, there's a new oversized Subaru coming out soon, like a Sequoia but done properly. It would have been a realistic alternative for your needs. It's pretty cool if you need lots of space and the handling.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post

BTW, there's a new oversized Subaru coming out soon, like a Sequoia but done properly. It would have been a realistic alternative for your needs. It's pretty cool if you need lots of space and the handling.
Is there any more info you can share on the Subie?
We will be looking to replace our Sienna in about a year and I would love to have a Subaru option.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:11 AM

I'd get a new Honda PILOT - Check one out.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I'd get a new Honda PILOT - Check one out.
Ditto, we're on our third one. Seats 7,8 but not as easy to access the last row as a mini van. 2nd row seats are roomy enough and comfy. Everyone that rides in ours comments on the easy access, comfort and ride.

Last edited by Birddog; 11-07-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:28 AM

Believe the Honda 3.5 V6 still uses a belt to control the valves. Their I 4's have switched over to chain drive. Probably no issues with 3.5 until belt changing time. No big deal....but a maintenance issue to be aware of. My son ignored the maintenance of that item on his Odyssey, and got to buy a new engine.

My experience is belt drives are quieter, smoother, and give a false impression of refinement.....have a 9 year old Ford I 4 (Mercury Milan) with a chain drive for DOHC's....idles rough, etc.....seems unrefined......engine probably will run forever... chains don't usually break...... even if they are a little nosier.

My Ford Edge 3.5 (290 HP) has chain drive....engine is smooth, but engine makes more noise than a 3.5 belt drive Honda. Daughters 2.4 Honda CRV....chain drive....you can hear the chains, but engine is smooth.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=Ralph;2258770]Believe the Honda 3.5 V6 still uses a belt to control the valves. Their I 4's have switched over to chain drive. Probably no issues with 3.5 until belt changing time. No big deal....but a maintenance issue to be aware of. My son ignored the maintenance of that item on his Odyssey, and got to buy a new engine.

My experience is belt drives are quieter, smoother, and give a false impression of refinement.....have a 9 year old Ford I 4 (Mercury Milan) with a chain drive for DOHC's....idles rough, etc.....seems unrefined......engine probably will run forever... chains don't usually break...... even if they are a little nosier.

My Ford Edge 3.5 (290 HP) has chain drive....engine is smooth, but engine makes more noise than a 3.5 belt drive Honda. Daughters 2.4 Honda CRV....chain drive....you can hear the chains, but engine is smooth.[/QUOTE

The noise may most likely be the direct injection if its a newer (within 5 years) Honda. As for the timing belt - yeah, its a drag to pay $1000 for everything required at 105000 miles. I don't base my decisions on belt vs. chain, but understand how some could. Ferrari uses belts. I frequent the PILOTEERS FORUM, you'll find some pretty good info over there.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post

I think the wife is sold on the minivans. Easier to drive/park, easier to get in/out, better access to the back, etc. I’m sure she’ll be interested if Sub comes out with a van though. But truth to be told, most crossover “suv’s“ ARE vans with a little lift and no sliding doors.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:15 AM

I agree....belt drive not a deal breaker.

In the FWIW department.....my service writer at local Honda store, where I take my daughters CRV for service, also races Honda's. He says....why chains are generally superior to belts for long life.....if the chain is riding over plastic (nylon) cogs to move valves, not much better than a belt.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:33 PM

Another issue to be aware of with Odysseys: Honda uses a Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system to shut off fuel to various cylinders to improve MPGs. According to some owners, over time this system cycling on/off causes the entire drive train to run rough, use excessive oil, break engine mounts (which are expensive to repair) and may eventually lead to engine failure. You can read about one owner's experiences here and there's an extended thread discussion here. There's a thing called the "VCM Muzzler" that some owners install to defeat the VCM system and improve long-term reliability of their engines.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:36 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTRider View Post
Another issue to be aware of with Odysseys: Honda uses a Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system to shut off fuel to various cylinders to improve MPGs. According to some owners, over time this system cycling on/off causes the entire drive train to run rough, use excessive oil, break engine mounts (which are expensive to repair) and may eventually lead to engine failure. You can read about one owner's experiences here and there's an extended thread discussion here. There's a thing called the "VCM Muzzler" that some owners install to defeat the VCM system and improve long-term reliability of their engines.
I've heard the same about GM V8's as well. That's too bad.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTRider View Post
I've been paying attention to this on the piloteers forum (I most likely will be in a PILOT by next year), it seems the new model (2016+) has this sorted out. The earlier models did have this, however. In the snow, ground clearance and AWD system on the PILOT is going to run circles around an AWD minivan, but I understand the access and sliding door etc. Also, our current 2006 PILOT is very easy to get around in parking lots etc.