Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Well that's interesting. The Zephyr helmet has been eliminated from the Bell Helmets US website (although its web page can still be found on the Bell EU here), and been replaced in the product line up with the new Z20 helmet (web page here).

The specs. of the Z20 helmet appears to match the Zephyr almost exactly, and is available in the same set of colors. The only difference in the published specs. appears to be the weight - 280 grams for the Zephyr, and 305 grams for the Z20. After the previous report of the US stop sale notice for the Zephyr due to a compliance issue, it makes one wonder if the extra weight of the Z20 are for changes to meet US certification standards.
Wow - interesting. They also added some colors. But, I bet you're right: I doubt Bell wanted to add another 25g of weight just for kicks....

Last edited by OtayBW; 07-11-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:23 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Bell sent a Z20 as a warranty exchange for my faded Zephyr.

The chin straps are longer on the new one and the buckle is ending up too close to my ear . So...it's for sale, new in box.
Here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211752
Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Well that's interesting. The Zephyr helmet has been eliminated from the Bell Helmets US website (although its web page can still be found on the Bell EU here), and been replaced in the product line up with the new Z20 helmet (web page here).

The specs. of the Z20 helmet appears to match the Zephyr almost exactly, and is available in the same set of colors. The only difference in the published specs. appears to be the weight - 280 grams for the Zephyr, and 305 grams for the Z20. After the previous report of the US stop sale notice for the Zephyr due to a compliance issue, it makes one wonder if the extra weight of the Z20 are for changes to meet US certification standards.

I just checked the CPSC WEBSITE. Bell was issued a non compliance citation for "structural failure" and required to correct future production in August 2017. As an owner of the Zephyr, I think it's pretty weak to sweep this under the table and not notify buyers of their most expensive helmet.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:56 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

I don’t recall but does the Zephyr have the helmet strap stitched to the tab in the rear center of it?

The Z20 is the “updated” Zephyr.
Wonder if you contact Bell if they’ll offer to do a replacement? My Zephyr has one part that was fading.

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 10-14-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I just checked the CPSC WEBSITE. Bell was issued a non compliance citation for "structural failure" and required to correct future production in August 2017. As an owner of the Zephyr, I think it's pretty weak to sweep this under the table and not notify buyers of their most expensive helmet.
I'd say you're due a new Z20 helmet - at least in good faith, if not legally. The previous correspondence I had with Bell from May 2017, including the following contact info, may help:

Quote:
Currently Bell Helmets has placed the Zephyr on a Stop Sale Notice with our authorized dealers. We are checking on a compliance issue and this issue is being studied with the CPSC. We will update availability information, as further information becomes available.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Stennis

Customer Service Representative / Action Sports / Outdoor Products
Vista Outdoor
Tel – 800-456-2355
http://vistaoutdoor.com
consumersupport-bell@bellhelmets.com
Old 10-14-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I'd say you're due a new Z20 helmet - at least in good faith, if not legally. :

Thanks Otay. I just looked up the Bell structural failure using the citation code. The Zephyr failed the impact test. That would indicate that the helmet they were touting as the latest/greatest advancement in safety performed worse than $9.99 Walmart helmets. I think Bell is moving off the Fignon's Barber Approved Vendor List. On Monday, I'm going to contact them and askfor a full refund.