Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Bell Zephyr helmet

anyone know what happened to this helmet. Really hard to find right now.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:03 AM

I have no idea why they are scarce, but I bought one and it is a great helmet. Arts Cyclery had some (where I found mine).
Old 06-24-2017, 03:58 PM

This is a bizarre situation, IMO. The originally had them backordered first for ~6 weeks, then indefinately. I e-mail Bell customer service inquiring and the response was: 'sure, what size and color do you want?' I told her and she promptly told me that 'they were not in stock with no anticipated time of availability'.

I happened to be in a bike shop in Zurich last Wednesday, and I mentioned this. The guy looks it up in his computer and there is is: correct size and color available - no problem.
In the US, size and color is very limited.

Something must be going on with production at Bell, or some whack-o US distribution thing or something. This is effed up.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:12 PM

They're no longer listed on Bells website. Even a proprietary search gives nothing.

Just wondering if they'd run across some issue and halted production.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:47 PM

Received a reply from Bell re this helmet:

Hi Bruce,
Thank you for your inquiry about the Bell Zephyr. Currently Bell Helmets has placed the Zephyr on a Stop Sale Notice with our authorized dealers. We are checking on a compliance issue and this issue is being studied with the CPSC. We will update availability information, as further information becomes available.
Thank you,

Cheri Johnson
Customer Service Representative / Action Sports / Outdoor Products
Vista Outdoor
Tel – 800-456-2355
http://vistaoutdoor.com
Old 06-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post

Hi Bruce,
Thank you for your inquiry about the Bell Zephyr. Currently Bell Helmets has placed the Zephyr on a Stop Sale Notice with our authorized dealers. We are checking on a compliance issue and this issue is being studied with the CPSC. We will update availability information, as further information becomes available.
Thank you,

Cheri Johnson
Vista Outdoor
Tel – 800-456-2355
Hmph! That's who I talked to. I got nothing! You must have a way with the ladies!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post

Hi Bruce,
Thank you,

Cheri Johnson
Vista Outdoor
Tel – 800-456-2355

Hmmm...

It makes me wonder if the helmet failed a compliance test during a CPSC spot check, and they're negotiation whether there will be a full recall.

In case it isn't known, bicycle helmet makers may self-certify their helmets - they don't need to be certified by an independent testing body before being sold to the public. When they get around to, CPSC (the Consumer Products Safety Commission) may elect to spot check helmets by testing some samples of a model. It seems to have become a regular occurrence that CPSC spot checks a helmet model and finds that it doesn't pass regulations, which results in all units of the model sold to be recalled.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Full recall??? thats going to suck.

Good my head did not like it, I cant pay for it either
Old 06-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Well, bicycle helmet recalls happen every year. Here's a list of bicycle helmet recalls from the CPSC web site:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls?field_r...mets%22&=Apply
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 PM

I don't think they're is a recall, per se, going on. There are still models out there available for sale, only in very few colors. Apparently no or limited restocking only...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 11:40 PM

Bell Zephyr

This discussion is intriguing. I bought a Bell Stratus which is very similar to the Zephyr. It comes with a MIPS system also. Does anyone know if the Bell Stratus is also under recall?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_rinaldi View Post
This discussion is intriguing. I bought a Bell Stratus which is very similar to the Zephyr. It comes with a MIPS system also. Does anyone know if the Bell Stratus is also under recall?
Whoa, hold on! There has been no recall issued for the Zephyr! The only thing reported is that there is has been a Stop Sale notice for the Zephyr, reportedly due to a compliance issue. For all we know, it might be just a labeling or documentation issue.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Whoa, hold on! There has been no recall issued for the Zephyr! The only thing reported is that there is has been a Stop Sale notice for the Zephyr, reportedly due to a compliance issue. For all we know, it might be just a labeling or documentation issue.
Thanks Mark. Since I started this, I too want to emphasize there IS NO RECALL. And the stop sale notice was from Bell to shops/supplier, not from shops to customers.
If I could have found a Zehpyr in anything other than black--just can't bring myself to wear black down here in summer, I'd have bought one. Bought the Stratus instead. Bell makes good stuff.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Had a Zehpyr and really liked it, recently bought a Stratus with MIPS, like it more. A lot of helmet for the money. I've had more expensive helbut none nicer.

Can't buy a Zehpyr, consider the Stratus
Old 07-11-2017, 03:43 PM

New Z20 helmet replaces Zephyr

Well that's interesting. The Zephyr helmet has been eliminated from the Bell Helmets US website (although its web page can still be found on the Bell EU here), and been replaced in the product line up with the new Z20 helmet (web page here).

The specs. of the Z20 helmet appears to match the Zephyr almost exactly, and is available in the same set of colors. The only difference in the published specs. appears to be the weight - 280 grams for the Zephyr, and 305 grams for the Z20. After the previous report of the US stop sale notice for the Zephyr due to a compliance issue, it makes one wonder if the extra weight of the Z20 are for changes to meet US certification standards.