Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
My girlfriend is sidelined from ultra running and is riding more. She needs a lot of help with routing. How is that on the Bolt? Any new thoughts after using it a while. Deciding between a Bolt and an 820. TIA
I have both and they both have their pros and cons. Coles notes version without getting into the minutiae.

Pure cycling computer use: BOLT - Non-touch screen, very easy to set up and use (if you have a smartphone). Although surprisingly I've had much worse luck with auto syncing with the Wahoo vs my Garmin for some reason. 30% of the time it doesn't sync properly. I'm hopeful Wahoo will fix it as they seem to have a reputation for doing (see below).

Pure GPS/Navigation/Routing use: 820 - it is much harder to use but has much deeper capabilities no doubt. A trade-off.

Casual guidance, occasional routing: BOLT - Strava Routes/map my ride integration means its much easier to load rides when needed.

After dealing with Garmin and their lack of transparency with updates and issues regarding the touchscreen, I was just fed up. Wahoo seems to actually push updates periodically and address user's concerns. I'll be honest, the 820 is nicer hardware-wise, the BOLT does feel a bit cheap. I also liked my 510 much more than the 820 and probably won't have switched to the BOLT if I still had it. Capacitive touchscreens just don't work well as an outdoor device.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:55 PM

From Garmin 520 to ELEMNT

Been using my ELEMNT for about a month now, from a 520.

ELEMNT has a great screen. Very crisp and easy to read. B/W, not color.

Wahoo does indeed have regular software updates to fix things (and things still need fixing and enhancement).

Live Tracking is very basic for now: just a point on a map. Wahoo is promising a big improvement/update in live tracking sometime "in the future".

On the road routing is super easy if you have your phone with you. Open the app, search for somewhere you want to go, hit go there, then the routing automatically appears on your BOLT/ELEMNT and routes you there. And it was an easy thing to do for the one time I tried it. Phone is critical.

The hardest thing about using it is remembering to spell ELEMNT correctly. Geez.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton View Post
Pure GPS/Navigation/Routing use: 820 - it is much harder to use but has much deeper capabilities no doubt. A trade-off.

Casual guidance, occasional routing: BOLT - Strava Routes/map my ride integration means its much easier to load rides when needed.
I might be misunderstanding your points above but, as someone who has used the original Elemnt since it came out, I would have rated its navigational abilities as an order of magnitude better than a Garmin 800 or 810 (I don't have direct experience of the 820). By "navigational abilities," I am chiefly referring to creating a route in RideWithGPS, syncing that (wirelessly) to the Elemnt and then pressing "Start." The map and directional chevrons are easy to see, even in bright sunlight. If you are forced off route, for whatever reason, the unit keeps calm and carries on, something my Garmin didn't do. To date, it has also coped effortlessly (unlike me) with 24+ hour distances and has neither hung nor corrupted the ride data (again, common occurrences with my Garmin).

I have only used the device itself, or rather, the phone app, to generate a route for me once, just to check that functionality out, so I can't comment on it in depth.

My complaints about the device are those mentioned by @old_fat_man above, the lack of ability to pan the map and to zoom out without having roads disappear. I'm less concerned with the lack of road names on the map myself. Finally, the buttons on the original Element are a little cramped, but would appear to be better placed on the Bolt.

-- John
Old 05-03-2017, 11:28 PM

I guess I’m in the rare boat where I’ve never experienced a corrupted Garmin file (510 or 820).

When I said it was better with respect to strictly GPS/routing, I was chiefly referring to the fact that Wahoo doesn’t allow you to route to a location without relying on your phone. I find that during most of my rides where I need routing functionality, I would also not have cell phone reception. This eliminates one of the best features of the Wahoo units. That being said, the tiny touchscreen on the 820 would make it so difficult to use that a lot of times you wouldn’t be inclined to rely on its routing features.

I personally did appreciate being able to see street names, but perhaps it’s because I would rely on the street names when guiding myself, as opposed to relying on the computer to alert me. Lastly, with full GPS routing functionality, the 820 is able to re-route you if you go off track, something the Wahoo cannot do.

I do think that for the casual user, the ability to use Strava or RWGPS makes it much more practical and usable.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

For those who have used both Wahoo computers, do the Bolt buttons depress easier than the ELEMNT? I really like the ELEMNT as a computer but didn't care for the mapping for reasons already noted (no zoom, required cell signal). Too large for mtb use and it was only being used on the trainer. So went back to the 500 and still like the 800 for routing. I use RideWithGPS for my mapping so I'm accustomed to plugging the Garmin in for route transfer.

WiFi transfer of ride info on return was a very nice feature and I'd consider replacing the 500 with a Bolt if it's small enough to use off road and the button pressure has been reduced.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:18 PM

I just received my Bolt yesterday and haven't had a chance to get it on the bike. I am an occasional user of route/direction information and the Bolt appears to do a pretty good job of giving you basics in this area. I love the size and the fact that you can prioritize the information that you wan tot see. This is my first GPS enabled bike computer and I didn't want a small laptop screen on my bike. More to follow.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 AM

Production fault on Elemnt Bolt Screen

Ordered my Bolt the 1st day it went on sale on Competitive Cyclist. This must have been back in March. Orders were shipped within 2 weeks. Finally received the unit. While setting up, noticed what I thought at first, was a piece of plastic on screen which was casting a shadow on the display. Turned out to be a little "bubble" in screen itself. Returned unit to CC (great customer service). Have been waiting ever since. CC has told me "between the lines" that my unit was not the only one with this display issue. Any one else run into this?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTukker View Post
Ordered my Bolt the 1st day it went on sale on Competitive Cyclist. This must have been back in March. Orders were shipped within 2 weeks. Finally received the unit. While setting up, noticed what I thought at first, was a piece of plastic on screen which was casting a shadow on the display. Turned out to be a little "bubble" in screen itself. Returned unit to CC (great customer service). Have been waiting ever since. CC has told me "between the lines" that my unit was not the only one with this display issue. Any one else run into this?
I've had mine for about 10 days and haven't noticed a problem. Can you elaborate on the issue? I'm not sure I fully understand.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
I've had mine for about 10 days and haven't noticed a problem. Can you elaborate on the issue? I'm not sure I fully understand.
The screen cover (not the display itself) had a tiny little bubble in it. Sort of like a starburst or chip in your car screen. It casts a "shadow" on the display page itself. Upper left corner. Had I not noticed it during set-up, I may not have noticed it during a ride or would think it was a sweat drop. Have returned it and am waiting. Unit seems to be "oversold" and is on back order everywhere...
Old 05-05-2017, 10:55 AM

I'd worry about this thing long term due to it's heavy integration with the phone.. it is dependent on continuing software updates.

Garmins still pretty much work in a world where smartphones vanish, and don't need any cell service at all for everything except live tracking and the segment nonsense. (Which I never use)

That said I have had weird issues with downloaded routes being flaky.. never had an issue with anything that didn't come from RideWithGPS.com though.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTukker View Post
Yes, my LCD died and stopped functioning on the 3rd ride. I also got a new unit which seems okay so far, but I've noticed that the display and button interface doesn't seem to be the best because there's visible artifacts/rainbow effect on the LCD when I press the bottom buttons. Doesn't bode well for long-term durability but I'm hoping Wahoo will fix this in future units if it starts to become a problem.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:33 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I'd worry about this thing long term due to it's heavy integration with the phone.. it is dependent on continuing software updates.

Garmins still pretty much work in a world where smartphones vanish, and don't need any cell service at all for everything except live tracking and the segment nonsense. (Which I never use)

That said I have had weird issues with downloaded routes being flaky.. never had an issue with anything that didn't come from RideWithGPS.com though.
Software updates have been consistent so far. I'd wager to guess Wahoo has released more software updates in the short life of the Elemnt than Garmin has ever released in the 8+ year life of the 500.

The Wahoo works great without cell service. Same as Garmin, it needs cell service for email/txt notifications, live tracking, and I guess for mid ride route building.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning Bolt but now slightly toward 820 because of better navigation help (returning to route when off-route) - it looks like there is an IO or whatever Garmin is calling the add-ons that will sync Strava routes automatically.

The amount of updates from Wahoo since DCR's review is refreshing. Finally some of the computer makers understand that the focus on software is where it's at. Sadly, SRM has not learned that - I get about one a year for the PC8. Suunto is also failing its users in that regard.

Edit: reading some pretty frustrating 820 reviews now. Back at square one.

Also, the Bolt is winning across the hall.

Last edited by ptourkin; 05-05-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning Bolt but now slightly toward 820 because of better navigation help (returning to route when off-route) - it looks like there is an IO or whatever Garmin is calling the add-ons that will sync Strava routes automatically.

The amount of updates from Wahoo since DCR's review is refreshing. Finally some of the computer makers understand that the focus on software is where it's at. Sadly, SRM has not learned that - I get about one a year for the PC8. Suunto is also failing its users in that regard.

Edit: reading some pretty frustrating 820 reviews now. Back at square one.

Also, the Bolt is winning across the hall.
What did the reviews say?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
What did the reviews say?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Most common complaints are touch screen and battery life. This is representative: http://inrng.com/2017/02/garmin-820-edge-review/