Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2017, 10:21 AM

New Wahoo Elemnt Bolt computer

You can read DC rainmakers exhausting review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/...th-review.html

I am seriously considering a move from my Garmin 800 to this. My only hesitation is that I use the maps a lot and it sounds like the mapping is not as good for my purposes but could be wrong. I like to see where I am on the map and can zoom out if I get off course for some reason to get back on course.

Wahoo has made a ton of progress with their software and people should take a very good look at their products.

Alan
Old 03-15-2017, 11:05 AM

That looks really cool and could be a good replacement for my aging-but-venerable Edge 500.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 AM
aka RAEKWON

looks awesome. I am on the 1000 but I am not gonna lie, pretty impressed with the integration with ride with GPS. I have been wanting garmin to let you do that for a while. For touring for example, it would be nice to get the ride mapped on the phone and sent to the GPS because no one wants to map rides on the unit.

Also at $250 its a pretty nice entry price. If I already did not have the 1000, I would be buying one of these
Old 03-15-2017, 01:22 PM

I think I got 15 e-mails yesterday from various cycling retailers about this so definitely a full court public press on this by Wahoo. Also says something about my junk e-mail problem, but that is a different thread.

It does seem like a good option and worth considering (I was considering a 520 to replace my flaky 500). I would prefer if the "aero" mount had a removable bottom fairing so I could swap a lower mount option for a gopro or light.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 PM

According to comments on the article, it will let you charge it while in use. I don't know why so many computer manufacturers don't include that functionality. Combined with an already-impressive ~15 hr battery life, I may actually consider this. I don't really need mapping functionality, usually, but it doesn't hurt.

I tried the RFLKT a couple years ago but it didn't play nice with Android. It seems like the Element and the Bolt have moved beyond that, since they don't merely act as a mirror of your phone data.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:41 PM

According to their email, it will also give you 12.6 seconds in a 40k TT.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:22 PM
but not really

I went from a Garmin 800 to the Elemnt. The Elemnt is much easier to read and the smart phone configuration is a big improvement over Garmin setup. The mapping on the Wahoo is not even close to the 800 when it comes to exploring. The Wahoo doesn't show street names, you can't zoom out very far without losing the local roads, and worst of all, you can't move the map around.

I liked on the 800 that you can move the map to look ahead to the turns coming up, maybe check to see just how far that road goes in the right/wrong direction, and you could see street names. Wahoo frustrates me considerably in this aspect.

In short, if you value mapping, don't buy a Wahoo. For most everything else, it's great.

Oh, and I was able to charge my 800 while riding/recording - I used it for 20 hours straight when riding Boston to Montreal.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Oh, and I was able to charge my 800 while riding/recording - I used it for 20 hours straight when riding Boston to Montreal.
Thanks, that's good to know. I have a Lezyne Super GPS which can't be charged in use, and my understanding is that the Garmin Edge 20/25 can't be charged during use either.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:10 AM

New Wahoo Elemnt Bolt computer

Just received my Bolt and was really happy with just how easy the initial set up was; from the QR code to sync and change settings with the phone.

I've been using my trust edge 500 for years, but looking for updated features like auto upload activities to Strava via BT.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:05 AM

I've never even heard of that unit before...seems like a pretty solid deal.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Randomhead

I might get one. I'm getting really tired of my garmin 800 forcing me to do things on its terms. And I don't use it to its full potential anyway. I just want it to reliably warn me that a turn is coming up. If it ever has any excuse not to do that, I don't get warnings until after the turn. Two weeks ago, I turned it on, set the turn navigation, and then left the bike for a few minutes. I should have started the timer, because it shut itself off. But when I started it again, no turn navigation. I guess that makes sense to some Swiss software engineers, but not to me.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by many_styles View Post
Just received my Bolt and was really happy with just how easy the initial set up was; from the QR code to sync and change settings with the phone.

I've been using my trust edge 500 for years, but looking for updated features like auto upload activities to Strava via BT.
My girlfriend is sidelined from ultra running and is riding more. She needs a lot of help with routing. How is that on the Bolt? Any new thoughts after using it a while. Deciding between a Bolt and an 820. TIA
Old 05-03-2017, 04:29 PM

Watch this video

See link to DC Rainmaker video of the Bolt. You can search for others to see how nav works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZihFYi64V8

Alan
Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
See link to DC Rainmaker video of the Bolt. You can search for others to see how nav works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZihFYi64V8

Alan
Thanks. Always my first stop. Just seeing how a real world user is experiencing it.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
Thanks, that's good to know. I have a Lezyne Super GPS which can't be charged in use, and my understanding is that the Garmin Edge 20/25 can't be charged during use either.
Half the time I use my Garmin 520, it's also being charged.