Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2016, 11:53 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I am locked step with the new iPhone release schedule. I will upgrade the phone, ask the carrier unlock the phone (GSM) and then turn around and sell the old phone for more than I paid for..
Which carrier is subsidizing iphone 7's? No go at AT&T
Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
It is the issue in the sense of a short upgrade cycle for the next feature. Apple has 91% of the profits with 17% share in the industry. Without the next 'must have' feature, the sales turnover and margin for Apple will collapse and prices have to come down. Why pay a premium for a commodity? If Apple is touting Super Mario at their rollout event, then apple has jumped the shark. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

What feature over Android does the iphone have which people prefer?
I am allowed to connect iOS to my firm's IT infrastructure. I am not allowed to bring an Android device into the building.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
I am allowed to connect iOS to my firm's IT infrastructure. I am not allowed to bring an Android device into the building.
Can you share what industry you work in?
Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Can you share what industry you work in?
Finance.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:01 PM

I've read that while the new 7 is water resistant Apple will not warranty the them for liquid damage unless you pay AppleCare for additional protection.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
I've read that while the new 7 is water resistant Apple will not warranty the them for liquid damage unless you pay AppleCare for additional protection.
I predict antenna-gate and bend-gate will become water resistance-gate in no time.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Finance.
You need a new CISO, iOS vulnerabilities outnumber Android vulnerabilities many times over for the past few years. While more Malware is written targeting android due to androids greater market share offering more opportunities for non targeted attacks, iOS is much much more vulnerable to targeted attacks.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric View Post
You need a new CISO, iOS vulnerabilities outnumber Android vulnerabilities many times over for the past few years. While more Malware is written targeting android due to androids greater market share offering more opportunities for non targeted attacks, iOS is much much more vulnerable to targeted attacks.
Could you provide a source for this? That's not the position/opinion of most client's IT departments. I'm not a techie, but I can definitely tell you that, across the board, the IT guys I know hate android security.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric View Post
I know the size of my organization and I trust the technical resources of our internal IT people more than someone on a bike forum.

No offense, but client data security trumps all.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Could you provide a source for this? That's not the position/opinion of most client's IT departments. I'm not a techie, but I can definitely tell you that, across the board, the IT guys I know hate android security.
Here's my first google result:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/80-vu...d-488676.shtml

Most of my information comes from discussions I've had with fellow security researchers that do more in the mobile space than myself. <redacted>, <redacted> (who I'm visiting tonight), etc... Apple and Google also follow very different security models, with positives and negatives for each.

Other issues do need to be taken into account, including what type of threats the organization is likely to damaged by. I myself prefer to limit my organizations internal Android uses to Nexus devices, since there is an issue with other phone venders which does not exist in the iOS world. I do also however allow iOS use (no icloud). At the end of the day, different organizations should look at their own threat landscapes and decide what is right for them. I'm not big on preaching any singular solution, but I've done enough audit's that when I see "iOS only", it's usually policy built on some variety of laziness.

Last edited by seric; 09-10-2016 at 04:09 AM. Reason: redacted some names
Old 09-09-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I know the size of my organization and I trust the technical resources of our internal IT people more than someone on a bike forum.

No offense, but client data security trumps all.
No offense taken, I don't believe I collect a check from your organization.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
I predict antenna-gate and bend-gate will become water resistance-gate in no time.
Yeah from what little test I've seen reported it's not nearly as water resistant as the new Galaxy's. Then again Samsung are having battery issues.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
My experainces have been the same. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone speak favorably of android security.

From the reference linked above:
Quote:
"The fact that fewer vulnerabilities are discovered in Android should under no circumstances be misinterpreted to imply that Android OS is more secure than iOS," said Kasper

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/80-vu...#ixzz4Jno2aoo0

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 09-09-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I'm sure that's the Apple spin, but the realist would say that it's another proprietary system that allows Apple to overcharge for simple headphone tech, just like their proprietary chargers.
I'm assuming the 7 will still have Bluetooth if you choose to go that route instead of the new wireless system for their earbuds. BT just connects to too many things to leave it out. Assuming there's still bluetooth, I'm sure I'll upgrade to a future iPhone, probably 8 or 9. But if they kill bluetooth and go ONLY with their new wireless setup, I'm done. I have too many bluetooth devices to upgrade everything...

-Ray
Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I'm assuming the 7 will still have Bluetooth if you choose to go that route instead of the new wireless system for their earbuds. BT just connects to too many things to leave it out. Assuming there's still bluetooth, I'm sure I'll upgrade to a future iPhone, probably 8 or 9. But if they kill bluetooth and go ONLY with their new wireless setup, I'm done. I have too many bluetooth devices to upgrade everything...

-Ray
It still has bluetooth. They wont ditch that. Yet.