Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Went in and yaked to Verizon and Apple..looking at the 6s+(have a 6s now)...and I think I'll just wait till my phone is paid for..then look at the 7...

BIG difference between my 5c and 6s..not so much between 6s-6s+->7+..IMHO..
Old 09-09-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
What are you talking about?

Smart phones are here to stay and iPhones, as trendy as they are, are a huge part of the market. They have some features about them that people prefer over Android and trendy isn't really the issue.
It is the issue in the sense of a short upgrade cycle for the next feature. Apple has 91% of the profits with 17% share in the industry. Without the next 'must have' feature, the sales turnover and margin for Apple will collapse and prices have to come down. Why pay a premium for a commodity? If Apple is touting Super Mario at their rollout event, then apple has jumped the shark. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

What feature over Android does the iphone have which people prefer?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 AM
50 bpm

Someone should invent "cords" that clip onto the wireless headphones and then onto the iPhone.

That way you won't lose them.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 AM
extremely tall

Welcome to iLeash.
- Anti-loss enabled
- Proprietary unobtanium-reinforced composite material
- Hypoallergenic
$49.99

Ships in 3-4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Someone should invent "cords" that clip onto the wireless headphones and then onto the iPhone.

That way you won't lose them.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:46 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
It is the issue in the sense of a short upgrade cycle for the next feature. Apple has 91% of the profits with 17% share in the industry. Without the next 'must have' feature, the sales turnover and margin for Apple will collapse and prices have to come down. Why pay a premium for a commodity? If Apple is touting Super Mario at their rollout event, then apple has jumped the shark. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

People like the seamless connectivity and UI between Apple products. Certain generations were known for having better displays than their Android counterparts, but not any longer. Same with the camera back aways. They usually get first crack at some premium apps and some are only IOS. They lag behind with features like Ant+, image stabilization (just coming to their lineup), NFC.

I agree, that they are getting incremental with their offering and it's more likely that people will skip a generation or two. Same can be said with others like Galaxy. Same is starting to hold true with DSLRs as well. It's probably smart since the majority of users get a new phone every two years anyway.

I've always been an Android guy even with a Macbook Pro for laptop.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Wireless headphones don't work for me - sometimes I work from home and use my headphones 9 hours in a row.

And using the wired connection, it looks like you can't use headphones and charge the phone simultaneously without a (likely expensive) accessory.

This seems like bad industrial design to me.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Administrator

i assume the move to wireless headphones was to eliminate one other hole in the case for waterproof integrity.

i never use headphones with my phone anyway, so no matter to me.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i assume the move to wireless headphones was to eliminate one other hole in the case for waterproof integrity.

i never use headphones with my phone anyway, so no matter to me.
me neither..my headphones are still in the box.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:23 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Wireless headphones don't work for me - sometimes I work from home and use my headphones 9 hours in a row.

And using the wired connection, it looks like you can't use headphones and charge the phone simultaneously without a (likely expensive) accessory.

This seems like bad industrial design to me.
I haven't seen the dongle yet. Is it confirmed that the headphone extension does not allow you to charge at the same time? Seems like if you already have to use a dongle 3.5 connection they could have easily had through port for charging at the same time. If not, that's super lame.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I haven't seen the dongle yet. Is it confirmed that the headphone extension does not allow you to charge at the same time? Seems like if you already have to use a dongle 3.5 connection they could have easily had through port for charging at the same time. If not, that's super lame.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:31 AM
ergottWheels

Such an easy solution that would have made this a non-problem from the get go.

Another problem will be that someone can come up with the solution, but Apple always warns against using 3rd party charging devices so you are screwed that way too.

Not entirely surprised though.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 AM

I'm surprised that they didn't solve the issue by having the phone charge wirelessly (in addition to wired) like the Apple watch. Maybe for the 8.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Nice. My CR-V doesn't have BT audio so I use the headphone jack to connect. But I think I will still need to get a BT receiver because I need to charge the phone while I am driving (Waze sucks battery.)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
I still have a humble iPhone 5 from 2013. Along with a trusty iPod classic, I use it quite a bit at my rehearsal studio to stream music I want to play along while practicing the drums. I use full size noise reduction headphones with good Sony Drivers in them so I'm very much attached to the 1/8" headphone jack. If I do upgrade to a 7 it would require a pigtail that has lightning (to charge) and 1/8" on it.

When I'm cycling I put the 5 in a snack sized ziplock bag. I guess with a 7 this isn't necessary anymore..

I am locked step with the new iPhone release schedule. I will upgrade the phone, ask the carrier unlock the phone (GSM) and then turn around and sell the old phone for more than I paid for.

A lot of Android phones (Samsung, for example) offers better features (where is the VR feature, Apple?) But iPhones definitely hold values better.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post

I'll take this one. Newer Android phones have wireless, Qi charging. Astonished that the Apple tifosi haven't wailed about the lack of this.

Quote:
I'm sure that's the Apple spin, but the realist would say that it's another proprietary system that allows Apple to overcharge for simple headphone tech, just like their proprietary chargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I will upgrade the phone, ask the carrier unlock the phone (GSM) and then turn around and sell the old phone for more than I paid for.
How/where do you sell used iphones for more than new? When did they begin appreciating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Wireless headphones don't work for me - sometimes I work.... 9 hours in a row.

Agreed, same here. I've got a 6s. As said, for me, Apple jumped the shark on this one. If I'm going to be forced to go wireless headphones, then I'm going all the way with a wearable such as a Samsung Gear S2 or the new S3. I won't use a phone at all. Maybe that's Apple's plan, but right now, they are way behind the Gear S3 since they offer no wearable with built in 3G or 4G.

Last edited by mistermo; 09-09-2016 at 11:59 AM.