Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post

Rock n roll gold is an great low cost option, works great, and gets high praise on friction facts, one of the 'fastest' lubes out there.......
R n r gold is good, but it, like NFS suggest that you use sparingly and not lube every link. For some reason I have a hard time with that philosophy. I feel better when I apply a drop of oil to each roller - anyone know a good shrink. haha
Old 10-22-2017, 08:51 PM

I’m a fan of the original NFS-have not tried the new.

After using NFS for a few years (love it), I had the opportunity for a test of sorts. My daughter’s college bike had a nicely rusted-dry chain. With the bike in a stand, I applied 12 drops on the chain, then spun that sucker up. I could see the lube spreading until the whole chain was nicely lubed-and no more squeaks!

I wish I made a video, it was pretty neat to actually see it spread.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
I’m a fan of the original NFS-have not tried the new.

After using NFS for a few years (love it), I had the opportunity for a test of sorts. My daughter’s college bike had a nicely rusted-dry chain. With the bike in a stand, I applied 12 drops on the chain, then spun that sucker up. I could see the lube spreading until the whole chain was nicely lubed-and no more squeaks!

I wish I made a video, it was pretty neat to actually see it spread.
That would have been so cool to see. I also feel it's odd to lube every tenth link but I do it that way 'cause I like to follow instructions. Good to know that it actually works it's way around the whole chain so quickly.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiHoss View Post
That would have been so cool to see. I also feel it's odd to lube every tenth link but I do it that way 'cause I like to follow instructions. Good to know that it actually works it's way around the whole chain so quickly.
haha, I like the 12-12-12 rule. I don't have space for working on bikes so this fits right in with my approach to bicycle maintenance.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:23 AM

The NFS stuff just plain works.

Once you are running it, the secret (thats not a secret) is to wipe down the chain and rear pullies before your next ride or right after you finish riding. No need to relube. Just a quick wipe/reverse spin with a cotton rag. Takes 15 seconds. Go ride. Once you start to hear chain noise (perhaps a squeak or two) during a ride, relube before your next ride with ~5-6 random drops and do a quick spin through the rear cogs including a few revolutions on the smallest cog. This spreads the lube along the chain. All done. No need to wipe anything.

Rinse. repeat.
No need to apply to every link.
No need to over apply.

I have ~10,000 miles quiet chain from a single bottle and there is enough left for about another 2,000 miles. This includes rain/slush rides.

Last edited by bewheels; 10-24-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:43 AM

I’ve used both, the bio and the regular NFS. I will always default to a bio product if possible, and it has nothing to do with the smell. Anyway, I found it wasn’t the same level of durability during the wet, winter months. So I use NFS in the winter and the bio in the summer, when it is mostly dry. I switched from ChainL, which I liked because of its incredible durability, but it was messy unless I religiously wiped the chain. NFS needs to be wiped, too, but it is more forgiving. It doesn’t last quite as long as the ChainL, but it’s worth the trade off. Lube it, wipe after the first couple of rides, then forget about it til the chain starts to squawk a little. Repeat.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
haha, I like the 12-12-12 rule. I don't have space for working on bikes so this fits right in with my approach to bicycle maintenance.
the first time, on a clean chain though, you should do a drip per link. After that you can do 12-12-12.

I love NFS, its all I use. Its expensive but it lasts forever.