Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 12:57 AM

OT: Wireless Speakers

Another music/"hi-fi" question.

I would like a new way of playing music in the bedroom- the best source would be my Galaxy S4 phone.

Any recommendations? I have been looking at some of the cheaper Bose wireless speakers (Soundtouch?)and the Sonos Play 1.

I fully understand where those who refuse to have any product in their houses are coming from, but hi-fidelity is not a prime concern in this instance, although having said that the Sonos does seem to be preferable.

I know I can hook up my phone to most wireless speakers via Bluetooth, but not the Sonos Play 1- for this I need go through the wireless system in the house (and, embarrassingly, I really have very little idea how to do this) otherwise the Sonos can be connected to a source via an Ethernet cable.

Dumb question- is there any way I can use an Ethernet cable from my phone to the Sonos? Apologies for my technological cluelessness!- I still like my Audio Innovations Series 500 valve amp- but it's not in the bedroom...
Old 11-19-2015, 04:53 AM

If the highest possible fidelity isn't a concern, the Sonos system is pretty wonderful, although there are probably simpler solutions for a single room, like a Bluetooth speaker. But for a whole house, Sonos is hard to beat... I believe you do need to have ONE component hard wired into your wifi router (a speaker or a "bridge"), but the rest of the system is totally wireless and controlled by any phone, tablet, computer, whatever, or several of them. We have apps on our phones, tablets, and macs, so we can control it from wherever we are in the house.

They may have eliminated the need to have anything hard wired - you should check that out as it sounds like it would affect the feasibility for you if you can just run straight off of the wifi system. We have five Sonos speakers around the house, use streaming services on it, and I wouldn't go back to a wired system...

-Ray
Old 11-19-2015, 05:04 AM

I have used (for a long time) the Logitech squeezebox. It allows for multiroom and is completely wireless and came with nice server software to integrate with my media server. That said, for one room I would just get the bluetooth speaker.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

They may have eliminated the need to have anything hard wired - you should check that out as it sounds like it would affect the feasibility for you if you can just run straight off of the wifi system. We have five Sonos speakers around the house, use streaming services on it, and I wouldn't go back to a wired system...

-Ray
Yes, no more bridge needed, so just straight up wifi. Setup is a breeze, even for the technologically challenged . Although on the Sonos Connect that I just set up at my dads I had to plug it in to ethernet to set it up, not sure if the Play speakers are the same or not.

Sonos is simply amazing, the simplicity and the amount of available content (free and paid) is staggering. I still have an amp+speakers+turntable but use the Sonos non-stop around the house. The only problem with them is that they're addictive. Out of all the people that I know that have their products none have just a single speaker.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:08 AM
Registered (ab)User

Yes, you do still need at least one Sonos component hardwired to the network...but you can stream content wirelessly from your mobile device if you also hang an Apple Airplay on that network.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 AM

Nope

You do not need to have a Sonos speaker hardwired to anything, except for the connection to a wall outlet for power. Early models required a single speaker to be hard wired to a router, but that is no longer the case.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Early models required a single speaker to be hard wired to a router, but that is no longer the case.
When did this change?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Bike Guy

Received a Bose Soundlink mini bluetooth speaker as a gift 2 years ago. Been enjoying its quality sound for a small package and portability to my downstairs workshop, other rooms, or outside when needed.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiertetimestwo View Post
Dumb question- is there any way I can use an Ethernet cable from my phone to the Sonos?
A lot (all?) wireless speakers have a 3.5mm audio in jack, so you should be able to use the headphone jack from your phone.

Not sure if these are any good, but another speaker to consider: Logitech UE BOOM
Old 11-19-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Received a Bose Soundlink mini bluetooth speaker as a gift 2 years ago. Been enjoying its quality sound for a small package and portability to my downstairs workshop, other rooms, or outside when needed.
I also have had a Soundlink Mini for a while. Fantastic little speaker, the sound is awesome for how small the unit is. It's useful for listening around the house, and is my go to when I'm on the trainer or indoor rower and I don't feel like wearing headphones
Old 11-19-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
When did this change?
I'm unsure, but I can confirm that this is the case - just checked them out on Monday. Buying them tomorrow at Starpower's expo sale - these will be 2 for $350 (and Christmas present for my wife - good thing she doesn't belong to this forum) http://www.star-power.com/home-theat...Y%201%20WHITE/
Old 11-19-2015, 08:50 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
A lot (all?) wireless speakers have a 3.5mm audio in jack, so you should be able to use the headphone jack from your phone.

Not sure if these are any good, but another speaker to consider: Logitech UE BOOM
I have a UE Mini Boom. It's fine for the bedroom/garage/etc. I also have the Bose Soundlink that stays in my workshop. It's also fine. Neither are high fidelity but they sound good for what they are used for.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 AM
#bottlestorage

Sonos...just a great system. You will get one, then another, then another. I use it in the garage, the kids will listen in the living room, then we will have it on in the kitchen while making dinner.

Play them all together, isolate them...just a great system.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:43 AM

Add me to the Sonos encore! Two Play 1s to start with, now a Soundbar, and I'm weighing adding even more. As Awdwon said, addictive they are!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 AM

Wife got me Sonos and I like it.